Close
Login
Register

Wrestling Advice PLease

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Wrestling Advice PLease

Postby Soccerdude99 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:52 pm

hey im extremely new to folkstyle wrestling. im a junior in highschool and am guna try out for the wreslting team this year. Ima be in the 125lbs ( Im 5'6) most probably. decided to give wrestling a try because some of the people i do bjj with were great college wrestlers and it helps alot with controlling ur opponent on the ground , and wrestling also helped them get into sum good colleges. Any advice for sumone who is completley new to wrestling( only half a year of bjj experience) I also started to hit the gym to pack on sum muscle in attempt to be in shape started to run 2 miles a day. Iv been working on muscle groups like quads and shoulders soposedly there good for wreslters. BUT anyway just lookn for sum advice so i know what im getting into so i dont get completly creamed wen i go for my first meet. Ur advice would be extremely appreciated. =)
Soccerdude99
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Wrestling Advice PLease

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:11 pm

if youve been doing BJJ for a while its gonna be weird for you not being able to fight off of your back. be sure to remember to belly down if you get taken down. also, CARDIO. cardio is gonna be one of your biggest enemies in wrestling. 2 miles a day is a good start, but youre gonna wanna get that up to 5 or 6. if you can run 5 miles and not be completely burnt youll be fine
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby ghostdude8 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:13 am

work on your sprawls because in wrestling you can't pull guard lol

just work a lot on improving your sprawl, takedowns (singles, double leg, high crotch) and cardio is the one thing that will help you in wrestling.
ghostdude8
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Former P4P Champ

Postby Soccerdude99 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:25 pm

thnx for the advice guyz. I appreciate it
Soccerdude99
White Belt
White Belt

Postby fighter155 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:04 pm

ThirdCoastCombat wrote:if youve been doing BJJ for a while its gonna be weird for you not being able to fight off of your back. be sure to remember to belly down if you get taken down. also, CARDIO. cardio is gonna be one of your biggest enemies in wrestling. 2 miles a day is a good start, but youre gonna wanna get that up to 5 or 6. if you can run 5 miles and not be completely burnt youll be fine

hell no 2 the 5-6 mile runs no offense all good advice but u gotta run like ur in a wrestling match. think about it a wrestling match is more often than not a fast paced bout so u gotta run at a pace like a wrestling match a good way 2 do this i found was 2 get really good at running 1.5-2miles because then ur used 2 going all out 4 the run instead of a slow jog and even a fast 2miles will be around 14-15mins which is more than enough 2 get u thru a match
"unless u continually work evolve and innovate u will learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
LW- tyson

WW gsp

MW- nate, vitor

LHW- SHOGUN,

HW- big nog, carwin
fighter155
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:44 pm

fighter155 wrote:
ThirdCoastCombat wrote:if youve been doing BJJ for a while its gonna be weird for you not being able to fight off of your back. be sure to remember to belly down if you get taken down. also, CARDIO. cardio is gonna be one of your biggest enemies in wrestling. 2 miles a day is a good start, but youre gonna wanna get that up to 5 or 6. if you can run 5 miles and not be completely burnt youll be fine

hell no 2 the 5-6 mile runs no offense all good advice but u gotta run like ur in a wrestling match. think about it a wrestling match is more often than not a fast paced bout so u gotta run at a pace like a wrestling match a good way 2 do this i found was 2 get really good at running 1.5-2miles because then ur used 2 going all out 4 the run instead of a slow jog and even a fast 2miles will be around 14-15mins which is more than enough 2 get u thru a match

to each his own. i always used really long distances for my wrestling cardio. i always tended to grind my opponent down instead of being really explosive constantly.

ive trained all sorts of cardio for wrestling (i wrestled for 15 years) and the longer distance running always worked best for me
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby halal pig » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:13 pm

[quote="fighter155"][quote="ThirdCoastCombat"]if youve been doing BJJ for a while its gonna be weird for you not being able to fight off of your back. be sure to remember to belly down if you get taken down. also, CARDIO. cardio is gonna be one of your biggest enemies in wrestling. 2 miles a day is a good start, but youre gonna wanna get that up to 5 or 6. if you can run 5 miles and not be completely burnt youll be fine[/quote]

hell no 2 the 5-6 mile runs no offense all good advice but u gotta run like ur in a wrestling match. think about it a wrestling match is more often than not a fast paced bout so u gotta run at a pace like a wrestling match a good way 2 do this i found was 2 get really good at running 1.5-2miles because then ur used 2 going all out 4 the run instead of a slow jog and even a fast 2miles will be around 14-15mins which is more than enough 2 get u thru a match[/quote]

i some wat agree with u that u should do more sprints to simulate short bursts like in a match. but howver it is october and i know my season doesnt start until thanksgiving so long distance runs will better prepare your body for 3 hour practices. but a match, even if u do grind it out the full 6 u u arent doing things half speed. u still are ganna explode when u go for the takedown or scrabble back to ur feet. u should vary ur runs and do both. one thing ive always like doing is doing a jog for a period of time and sprinting for another. if u can get near a football field i like running around it (vertically) going down the side at a jog and sprinting accross (horizontally) it.
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby fighter155 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:01 pm

ThirdCoastCombat wrote:
fighter155 wrote:

to each his own. i always used really long distances for my wrestling cardio. i always tended to grind my opponent down instead of being really explosive constantly.

ive trained all sorts of cardio for wrestling (i wrestled for 15 years) and the longer distance running always worked best for me

i wrestled for 12years and yea i def agree with u about getting ready 4 a practice but i have discovered that running shape and grappling shape is 2 totally different things so i figured best way 2 get ready 4 the practice is 2 just wrestle year round and i used the short runs for my matches never ran more than 3 even though i certainly can
"unless u continually work evolve and innovate u will learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
LW- tyson

WW gsp

MW- nate, vitor

LHW- SHOGUN,

HW- big nog, carwin
fighter155
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:45 pm

fighter155 wrote:i wrestled for 12years and yea i def agree with u about getting ready 4 a practice but i have discovered that running shape and grappling shape is 2 totally different things so i figured best way 2 get ready 4 the practice is 2 just wrestle year round and i used the short runs for my matches never ran more than 3 even though i certainly can

yeah the best cardio you can do for wrestling is definitely live drilling. cardio is very sport specific.
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby fighter155 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:01 pm

ThirdCoastCombat wrote:
fighter155 wrote:i wrestled for 12years and yea i def agree with u about getting ready 4 a practice but i have discovered that running shape and grappling shape is 2 totally different things so i figured best way 2 get ready 4 the practice is 2 just wrestle year round and i used the short runs for my matches never ran more than 3 even though i certainly can

yeah the best cardio you can do for wrestling is definitely live drilling. cardio is very sport specific.

yup cause runnin will get ur lungs going but in a match ur constantly in ur stance like a squat or something and ur muscles get tired and thats something running doesnt do
LW- tyson

WW gsp

MW- nate, vitor

LHW- SHOGUN,

HW- big nog, carwin
fighter155
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Ground Game