Close
Login
Register

Would it be smart to...

Conditioning, one of the most important aspects of your training. Strength, everyone needs it. Discuss what works for you?

Would it be smart to...

Postby Funme7al » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:26 pm

Only do Calisthenics for upper body (ie shoulder, chest, bis/tris) and light weights for lower body.

The way i see it is, calisthenics for upper body would help tremendously for endurance, being cut, losing weight etc. You will have the speed and endurance for fighting. You wouldn't be slowed down by bulky muscle or tired out by having to pump more oxygen to that muscle.

However, having strong legs is important, so weight lifting is key. You will have power and explosiveness from tough leg workouts.
Follow me on twitter @SomeoneNamedEli. I follow back. Will engage in twitter beef/love, just @ me.
Funme7al
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: Would it be smart to...

Postby KingOfPancrase » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Funme7al wrote:Only do Calisthenics for upper body (ie shoulder, chest, bis/tris) and light weights for lower body.

The way i see it is, calisthenics for upper body would help tremendously for endurance, being cut, losing weight etc. You will have the speed and endurance for fighting. You wouldn't be slowed down by bulky muscle or tired out by having to pump more oxygen to that muscle.

However, having strong legs is important, so weight lifting is key. You will have power and explosiveness from tough leg workouts.

Eh... you're never going to really develop serious upper body strength only doing calisthenics. Why not just do a suitable amount of cardio to where you're still lean and trim. Look at some low weight class power lifters and Olympic lifters. They are strong but still not gigantic.
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby anton14 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:18 pm

KingOfPancrase wrote:
Funme7al wrote:Only do Calisthenics for upper body (ie shoulder, chest, bis/tris) and light weights for lower body.

Eh... you're never going to really develop serious upper body strength only doing calisthenics. Why not just do a suitable amount of cardio to where you're still lean and trim. Look at some low weight class power lifters and Olympic lifters. They are strong but still not gigantic.

What are your goals exactly? If you are just looking to get cut then high reps of different calisthenics in a circuit would most definitely help.

You should just look up HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) style workouts. They are timely circuits with an emphasis on cardio. Constant shock from different movement with limited rest will make your breathing patterns a little erratic but it will make sure your heart rate won't stay at a constant. Pretty much it's good for your lungs and heart. It won't necessarily make you "big" but constant inclusion of anaerobic exercises in your workouts will make you slim.

Just like in the name, most of the workouts are intense so you shouldn't do them everyday. If you are new to the style of workout and aren't necessarily fit then please focus on the movement first than just trying to get more reps in the time. Nothing is more shittier than having a shot back because you decided to do a half assed kettle-bell swing or mess up your shoulder because you did a shitty burpee.

As for your legs, the pride and joy for alot of power lifters are squats and deadlifts.
"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive."
anton14
Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion
Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion

Accolades: July 2016 & Oct. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Oct. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Survivor (2017 Round 2), Survivor 2018 May Series Champ

Postby Funme7al » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:11 pm

anton14 wrote:
KingOfPancrase wrote:

What are your goals exactly? If you are just looking to get cut then high reps of different calisthenics in a circuit would most definitely help.

You should just look up HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) style workouts. They are timely circuits with an emphasis on cardio. Constant shock from different movement with limited rest will make your breathing patterns a little erratic but it will make sure your heart rate won't stay at a constant. Pretty much it's good for your lungs and heart. It won't necessarily make you "big" but constant inclusion of anaerobic exercises in your workouts will make you slim.

Just like in the name, most of the workouts are intense so you shouldn't do them everyday. If you are new to the style of workout and aren't necessarily fit then please focus on the movement first than just trying to get more reps in the time. Nothing is more shittier than having a shot back because you decided to do a half assed kettle-bell swing or mess up your shoulder because you did a shitty burpee.

As for your legs, the pride and joy for alot of power lifters are squats and deadlifts.

im very advanced, been lifting probably for 8 years... and wrestling since i was like 6 years old.

my theory was just that i've heard boxers rarely lift weights, and that's just to be able to throw these quick hands and combinations and also they won't get tired if they aren't built with all their muscle from bench presses and shit... so I was thinking it would be decent to work the upper body different than how the lower body would be worked. All because of the punching factor in mma..

and obviously legs need to be strong and explosive so squats and deadlifts and all that is useful.
Follow me on twitter @SomeoneNamedEli. I follow back. Will engage in twitter beef/love, just @ me.
Funme7al
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Conditioning and Strength Training