Close
Login
Register

Will vintage Jones be back?

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Will we see vintage Jones?

Poll runs till Wed May 27, 2020 2:08 pm

No. Dude got caught. He doesn't have the gas tank to recover if he tries to finish an opponent and doesn't anymore.
38%
Yes. Three fights in a row means nothing. Besides he finished Gus, he will be back to the dynamic finisher here soon.
38%
Fedor. He is better than Jones. More top 5 wins. Tried to finish guys on the parallel caliber of Santos, OSP or Smith
25%
Troll. Meow trolling people with the third option to vote for despite its validity.
No votes
Tiny pecker. I have one and I am ashamed of it
No votes

Total votes : 8

Will vintage Jones be back?

Postby Mr Meow » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:08 pm

So back in the day Jon Jones was known for being a finisher and for throwing dynamic and unorthodox attacks during the fight. He was actually quite a fun fighter to watch back in the day

His last 3 fights have been less than inspiring though

His most recent fight was a SD win over Santos that he might have lost. Even with a guy on one leg Jones was happy to not be very active just look to avoid getting knocked out and win a decision.

Against Smith Jones basically was fighting the same way. Win a UD, don't take much damage, don't do anything dynamic, save energy, keep distance and be an inactive striker. Last thing you want to do is throw a power strike of any sort

Against Gus Jones showed a killer instinct for once when he took Gus down and had his back. It was nice seeing Jones be comfortable with throwing a strike with power if and only if he was in a position where his opponent could not throw a power punch back. Gus fought like a moron though and was bouncing on his toes being inactive with strikes like he wanted to double down on BJ Penn playbook vs Frankie Edgar at 145

My personal feelings for Jones aside, it sure seems like he will fight this style for awhile. Maybe not forever. Which is a shame because guys like Smith, Santos, etc would be nowhere near a title shot if not for LHW being devoid of talent. These are guys Jones should be slaughtering and finishing in a few rounds.

I mean seeing Jones coast to a decision that he perhaps should have lost against a 1 legged Thiago Santos was bizzaro world strange, just like his fight with the clearly out matched Smith were Jones was too hesitant to go for a finish

Jones tapered his style down a bit after the Bonnar fight but he was still throwing flashy stuff and pouring on pressure to get finishes for the most part. Since he got caught twice cheating though he fights this safe style

At a time when the LHW is at its shallowest by far, we should see Jones buzzsawing through these guys who aren't contender caliber but are getting pushed because Jones wants to stay active to pay for future lawsuits.

So my question is this

Will Jones ever go back to his prior self? The guy who tried to finish fights and provide entertainment? The guy who threw out crazy stuff and had crazy slams and takedowns?

Or are we just going to see the same Jones who has fought recently against guys like Gus (the second time) Anthony Smith, OSP and Santos?
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt

Re: Will vintage Jones be back?

Postby philphan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:23 pm

Good thread kitty.
I was saying this at chat on Saturday. (which you missed) Jones is now a point fighter who plays it safe. I said it many times. He didn't try to finish an injured fighter?????? Back in the day he would have went in for the kill. Hell, even JoJo called him the new GSP. It might be he is taking less Juice now that everyone is on to him, or just doing less bumps of coke in the back. Either way, he has changed now. Even Dana knows it and said no way Santos will get a rematch. He knows Bones got his ass kicked and wants to protect him. Sad day. Fedor is GOAT as always.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Max Holloway, Jairzinho Rozenstruik, Marlon Moraes, Ketlen Vieira

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Postby Mr Meow » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:16 pm

philphan wrote:Good thread kitty.
I was saying this at chat on Saturday. (which you missed) Jones is now a point fighter who plays it safe. I said it many times. He didn't try to finish an injured fighter?????? Back in the day he would have went in for the kill. Hell, even JoJo called him the new GSP. It might be he is taking less Juice now that everyone is on to him, or just doing less bumps of coke in the back. Either way, he has changed now. Even Dana knows it and said no way Santos will get a rematch. He knows Bones got his ass kicked and wants to protect him. Sad day. Fedor is GOAT as always.

Damn well said mr sir. Sir mr sir.

I hope I am wrong here and Jones changes...but yeah....it looks like he is content with winning uninspired UDs over people who really aren't contender caliber.

The Smith and Santos fights especially so.
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:12 pm

well...he finished DC and he finished Gus. He is 2/4, in finishes, in his last 4 fights
Τίποτα
EvilGorilla69+1
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Survivor (as The Smurf)

Postby DeceptaCon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:18 pm

EvilGorilla69+1 wrote:well...he finished DC and he finished Gus. He is 2/4, in finishes, in his last 4 fights

:pointup: Jones never went anywhere he tried to finish Santos with that flying knee and those elbows but he fought smart once he realized Santos was a tough summabitch. I thought it was a great fight, Santos tried to fight his own fight but in the end he was still over matched. I think Meow might be hinting at Jones not using his ground and pound as much. . .
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Fantasy C-League Champion: Feb/Sep 2016, Apr 2018
Survivor

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:21 pm

DeceptaCon wrote:
EvilGorilla69+1 wrote:well...he finished DC and he finished Gus. He is 2/4, in finishes, in his last 4 fights

:pointup: Jones never went anywhere he tried to finish Santos with that flying knee and those elbows but he fought smart once he realized Santos was a tough summabitch. I thought it was a great fight, Santos tried to fight his own fight but in the end he was still over matched. I think Meow might be hinting at Jones not using his ground and pound as much. . .

Jones tried to take Santos down, in the first and Santos was having none of that.. then Jones was trying to say how he never even tried to initiate a takedown.
Τίποτα
EvilGorilla69+1
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Postby PBells » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:12 pm

Lots of different things to think about. Jon is in his 10th year of fighting, he could be slowing down. He's also coming off a 15-month suspension, could still be a little rusty. He's not the brightest guy so maybe he did want to make a statement by standing with Thiago the whole time and/or didn't take him seriously. Maybe LHW isn't as shitty as everyone thinks? :idea:
PBells
The Jim Cornette of 'Linker

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019, Oct 2019
Survivor Champion

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Thiago is a killer at LHW
Τίποτα
EvilGorilla69+1
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Postby KingOfPancrase » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:43 pm

Let Shogun fight him again. Shogun does much better against timid fighters which Jones is becoming/has become. If Shogun loses? Meh he was expected to. But how big of a collective nut would all of linker achieve while peaking all over everyone so hard that that everyone in the world will feel our linker world shattering orgasm if Shogun KTFO Jones?
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Postby KARHU-III » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:30 pm

Bullshit troll thread....... Jones never left his opponents are getting better and have more footage to analyze. He's still fucking everyone up even with USADA and the golden snitch. Jones would split E-Feds wig and call him Suzie.....

Gtfo
KARHU-III
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: A Viking more American than Americans

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Jones may be the best athlete I've ever seen, but his style leaves a lot to be desired. He pretty much just keeps people at bay with his huge reaching kicks. It is very different to be an up and comer vs being on top. When you're coming up, you take more risks to get that reward. When you're on top, you just want to stay there by any means possible. Really sucks Santos fucked up his leg, he was doing great. Hell of a warrior for continuing.
Asso
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby abcd » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 pm

Gus took a piece of his soul in the first fight :lol:

But seriously, Jones biggest problem IMHO is that he never evolved his boxing. He has no jab. No head movement. He's stiff. when he gets punched in the face he looks lost . I know he hits mitts but I'm willing to bet he doesn't spend much time on his defensive boxing and he probably doesn't even sparr just mma sparring

It's ridiculous. The guy with the most mma-boxing potential doesn't even Wana learn. wtf Bones.
Last edited by abcd on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abcd
Green Belt
Green Belt

Accolades: Fantasy Draft C-League Champion: May 2018 (Final)

Postby DeceptaCon » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:27 pm

Santos fought with torn ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus

Thiago Santos fought most of his light heavyweight title bout with Jon Jones on essentially one leg.

Santos tore the ACL, MCL, PCL and meniscus of his left knee in the UFC 239 main event Saturday night in Las Vegas, his manager Alex Davis confirmed with ESPN. Tests came back with that information Monday, Davis said.

Brazilian outlet Combate was the first to report the news. Davis said that Santos is likely to be out for the rest of 2019 and beyond.

20 MMA thoughts, including why Jones-Santos deserves more praise

Jones escapes with narrow decision over Santos
Jones won the fight by split decision to retain the 205-pound title, but Santos fought extremely well in defeat. It was the first time Jones had ever gone to decision and lost on one of the judge's scorecards.

Santo said in the UFC 239 postfight media conference that he felt something give way in his left knee at the end of the first round. By the fourth and fifth rounds, Santos was clearly favoring the leg, but still fighting effectively against Jones, who is regarded as perhaps the best pound-for-pound MMA fighter of all time.

Two judges actually had Santos winning the fourth round and one had him winning the fifth. Some felt Santos had even done enough to win in a close decision.

"I left everything in there even after injuring my knee in the first round," Santos said at the media conference, through a translator. "I fought four rounds on a southpaw stance, unable to move like I usually move, unable to throw the strikes I usually throw. I didn't shock the world because of those circumstances, but I did what I could do in those conditions and I'm satisfied."

Jones said afterward that he was not aware that Santos had an injured leg during the fight. He acknowledged that Santos made him look "bad" during the bout and used kicks to Jones' calf as a key technique.

"Boy, was he tough," Jones said. "We all knew Thiago's best chance was to knock me out. I played it smart and brought home this gold for my family and team. He was technically a lot more sound than I thought. Thiago Santos is a black belt in Muay Thai. I'm proud of myself, because I stood with a guy who's been kickboxing way longer than me."

Santos (21-7) had won four straight coming into the bout, including the past three since moving up from middleweight to light heavyweight. In those three bouts, Santos won by TKO or knockout. Santos, 35, has won eight of 10 fights overall.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/271 ... l-meniscus
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon

Fantasy C-League Champion: Feb/Sep 2016, Apr 2018
Survivor

Postby 1098765432 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Vinitage Jones modern Jones Las Vegas betting odds payed off judges Jones it doesn't matter he's lost twice now
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: MMALinker Bum of the Year 2018

Postby philphan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Asso wrote:Jones may be the best athlete I've ever seen, but his style leaves a lot to be desired. He pretty much just keeps people at bay with his huge reaching kicks. It is very different to be an up and comer vs being on top. When you're coming up, you take more risks to get that reward. When you're on top, you just want to stay there by any means possible. Really sucks Santos fucked up his leg, he was doing great. Hell of a warrior for continuing.

:lol:

I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Max Holloway, Jairzinho Rozenstruik, Marlon Moraes, Ketlen Vieira

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Next

Return to MMA Discussion