Close
Login
Register

Why do you lift?

Conditioning, one of the most important aspects of your training. Strength, everyone needs it. Discuss what works for you?

Why do you lift?

Postby philphan » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:13 am

I started lifting when I was younger because of football. I lifted with teammates and coaches. When I quit playing I just stopped lifting also. Then when I got older I got back into lifting when my boys got older. I wasn't doing it to get bigger but rather to just help them. In the last few years I have been lifting every week and doing just because it makes me feel good. It helps me remember how great it was to start everyday with a hard lift. My body would be beat down but I just felt great. The sore muscles throughout the day was a nice reminder of what I had accomplished. Now that I am older I feel it more and If I get to add in some PE time or even taking the kids outside, I can almost render myself crippled at the end of the day. :shock: The cool thing is each day I can just lift a little harder, ride bike with my boys a little longer, or wrestle a little longer. (with any 2 of my boys, not all 3 anymore :cry: ) Just like when I was younger, I like the routine of lifting and how it stays with me all day. I also just like the challenge of lifting more and seeing what I can still do.
Why do you lift?
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Patricio Pitbull, Edson Barboza, Belal Muhammad, Ty-wan Claxton, Marvin Vettori

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Pick-Em Champion
Pick-Em Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Re: Why do you lift?

Postby irishmike357 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:00 pm

I think for me it comes down to being the best me possible. When I am at work and we need to sling around some cargo parachutes (125lb) and these two man teams are out there struggle to move them and I can get it on my shoulder and bring it where I need it, THAT makes me happy. We also have other heavy shit I have to move around that other people struggle with, that I find pretty easy.

Then there is the animalistic part. I feel much more confident when I am stronger. I feel like if shit hit the fan I am a tough out for anyone. No I am not some super badass, but I can hit hard, have trained/competed grappling (Judo mostly) and am decently strong.

Comes down the the Mark Ripptoe quote I usually keep in my sig

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby philphan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:41 am

irishmike357 wrote:I think for me it comes down to being the best me possible. When I am at work and we need to sling around some cargo parachutes (125lb) and these two man teams are out there struggle to move them and I can get it on my shoulder and bring it where I need it, THAT makes me happy. We also have other heavy shit I have to move around that other people struggle with, that I find pretty easy.

Then there is the animalistic part. I feel much more confident when I am stronger. I feel like if shit hit the fan I am a tough out for anyone. No I am not some super badass, but I can hit hard, have trained/competed grappling (Judo mostly) and am decently strong.

Comes down the the Mark Ripptoe quote I usually keep in my sig

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.

Hell yes. Unleash the beast.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
Fantasy Fighters- Patricio Pitbull, Edson Barboza, Belal Muhammad, Ty-wan Claxton, Marvin Vettori

philphan
Pick-Em Champion
Pick-Em Champion

Survivor

Postby irishmike357 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:58 pm

philphan wrote:

Also I have never really been a real big guy, 6' 200-215 range. My daughter is 3 and I hope by the time some dude comes to my house I can be a mean monster looking mother fucker.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby philphan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:16 pm

irishmike357 wrote:
philphan wrote:

Also I have never really been a real big guy, 6' 200-215 range. My daughter is 3 and I hope by the time some dude comes to my house I can be a mean monster looking mother fucker.

haha Nice! Motivation can come in many forms, that sounds as good as any. :shield:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault

philphan
Pick-Em Champion
Pick-Em Champion

Survivor

Postby JonB » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:07 pm

- It took me a while to realize it, but cardio and strength training really do help one another out. I lost a lot of muscle due to an injury I had last February, and I realized my cardio became more difficult because it. I started strength training with the cardio, and the movements just became a lot easier. More powerful strides, jumps, etc...
- Helps with sports and martial arts (harder strikes, grip strength, etc...)
- The endorphin rush afterwards that comes with any exertion.
JonB
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby flowroll101 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:14 pm

I started lifting way back in high school for football and hockey. I don't lift much anymore. I used to have a 5 day split and did that for almost 2 years. Got way too big for my size and bumped myself up a couple weight classes...not good. So now I pretty much don't lift. I am going to get back into olympic lifting soon but as any good instructor will tell you: If you want to get good at bjj and have good grappling cardio, do bjj. If you want to get good at Muay Thai and have good striking cardio, do Muay Thai.
flowroll101
White Belt
White Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:18 pm

flowroll101 wrote:I started lifting way back in high school for football and hockey. I don't lift much anymore. I used to have a 5 day split and did that for almost 2 years. Got way too big for my size and bumped myself up a couple weight classes...not good. So now I pretty much don't lift. I am going to get back into olympic lifting soon but as any good instructor will tell you: If you want to get good at bjj and have good grappling cardio, do bjj. If you want to get good at Muay Thai and have good striking cardio, do Muay Thai.

I said that to the "gen pop" guys over in the MMA discussion forum when the question of sprints vs distance running came up for MMA cardio. I only do distance runs to train for distance running. BJJ cardio is way different.

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby timbercutter » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:09 am

so when the shit hits the fan and Im outta ammo, I can still kill all my neighbors........................
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Postby Alvaroj23 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:13 pm

I lift for Life and Myself, what motivates me is Age and Death.
I lift so I can see a different day, I lift so I don't have to say "What if" or "Maybe if" Pay your dues in the weight room fellas it is very well worth.
Just don't be a curl Monkey. A lot of people lift to impress chicks, That's the last thing on my list. I want to be a force to be reckon with, Normality is what people call "Living" I call it death.
:gold: Don't miss a day or the day will miss you, everyday counts as we get closer to goals and accomplishments. :gold:
HW: Cain Velasquez, Daniel Cormier
LHW: Gegard Mousasi, Thiago Silva,
MW: Wanderlei Silva
WW: Nick Diaz, Johny Hendricks
LW: Nate Diaz, Gilbert Melendez
FW: Connor Mcgregor
BW: Urijah Faber, Chris Holdsworth
Alvaroj23
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:30 pm

Alvaroj23 wrote:I lift for Life and Myself, what motivates me is Age and Death.
I lift so I can see a different day, I lift so I don't have to say "What if" or "Maybe if" Pay your dues in the weight room fellas it is very well worth.
Just don't be a curl Monkey. A lot of people lift to impress chicks, That's the last thing on my list. I want to be a force to be reckon with, Normality is what people call "Living" I call it death.
:gold: Don't miss a day or the day will miss you, everyday counts as we get closer to goals and accomplishments. :gold:

Want big arms? Go do pull ups ha. :tup:

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Postby KingOfPancrase » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:31 am

timbercutter wrote:so when the shit hits the fan and Im outta ammo, I can still kill all my neighbors........................

I like this.
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby KingOfPancrase » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:32 am

Alvaroj23 wrote:I lift for Life and Myself, what motivates me is Age and Death.

Is that you Greg Plitt?
KingOfPancrase

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby discoowl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 pm

so I can intimidate smaller and weaker humans around me
PsychoBells wrote:How sad is it that a perfectly decent human being and warrior like Shogun gets hated-on by miserable autistic virgins? smh

25/25 LHK
discoowl
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby mikalianenkomedov » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:36 pm

Graduated high school at 6'0 145 lbs. Now I'm 6'0 190lbs. Started because I wanted to stop being skinny and now that I'm pretty fit I just want to keep getting bigger (proportionately) because of the recognition I get from friends, bitches, coworkers, and more bitches. Being a stronger individual has more benefits in life than being a weaker individual. So I do it for its utility and its aesthetics.
Formerly known as Mikal.

= = =
Twitter: @MikalMMA
= = =
ImageMOTHER RUSSIA MMA NEVER DIEImage
mikalianenkomedov
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Next

Return to Conditioning and Strength Training