Close
Login
Register

Where do you look when your striking?

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

Where do you look when your striking?

Postby MuaySingh » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:57 am

Just curious as to where you guys look when your standing up with somone, Ive heard mixed opinions, some say keep eye contact at all times and heard a few people say to look at both the eyes and shoulder area.

Whats your guys opinions?
Dont Be Scared Homie
MuaySingh
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Accolades: Former US Champ

Re: Where do you look when your striking?

Postby riotfighter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:07 pm

I personally look all over the place. I will look into the other guys eyes, stare at his chin, look at where I want him to think I am going to attack (like look low and throw a high kick to the head). But I generally look at his chin since that is where I want most of my punches to land.
only 2 men have sacrficed their lives for you, Jesus Christ and the American soldier
riotfighter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby DimMak » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:31 pm

I mainly look at the solar plexus area, but I'll look at different areas during sparring. I just make sure not to give away what I'm about to do. Staring at the eyes seems pretty useless to me. That's more of an ego thing and you'll miss out on a lot of the tells that occurring around the body.
DimMak
White Belt
White Belt

Postby MuaySingh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:46 pm

What MA do you guys train in? The eye contact thing I hear mainly from guys who train in Japanese arts such as Jui Jitsu and Judo, whilst the shoulder area i hear from guys who train more in MT n boxing.
Dont Be Scared Homie
MuaySingh
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Accolades: Former US Champ

Postby DimMak » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Mista Singh wrote:What MA do you guys train in? The eye contact thing I hear mainly from guys who train in Japanese arts such as Jui Jitsu and Judo, whilst the shoulder area i hear from guys who train more in MT n boxing.

I train in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I mix it up for MMA. In my experience, MT look lower than the shoulders. You need to keep aware of what going on at the hips, which is why I look around the solar plexus area. In Jiu Jitsu, the more advanced guys that I roll with tend to do a similar thing by using their peripheral vision. Once you have a hold of the guy, you don't necessarily need to look anywhere in many cases. I don't know how Judo and Jiu Jitsu guys can continue to look at the eyes once their actually grappling. Watch any clips of ADCC and you don't see that happening very often.
DimMak
White Belt
White Belt

Postby riotfighter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:48 pm

Mista Singh wrote:What MA do you guys train in? The eye contact thing I hear mainly from guys who train in Japanese arts such as Jui Jitsu and Judo, whilst the shoulder area i hear from guys who train more in MT n boxing.

I train in Jiu Jitsu, Mauy Thai, boxing and wrestling during any given week. Depends on my work schedule. But when I roll I really don't look at much of anything but seem to look more around the hips when I am on bottom and when on top I don't look at much of anything cause I am going through mext next 4 moves or so and all the possiblities if some thing doesn't work out right.
only 2 men have sacrficed their lives for you, Jesus Christ and the American soldier
riotfighter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby samthevindicator » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:07 pm

I look right under the chin a little above the solar plexis. I like to view my opponents face more than just looking at his solar plexis
HW- struve, velasquez, overeem
LHW- shogun,lil nog, RAMPAGE, bones jones
MW- hendo
WW-Thiago alves, diaz
LW- Diaz, Bendo
2-2 sig bets
$1000 sig cash
samthevindicator
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby ryyonvin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 pm

Shoulders/Chest. Your peripheral vision will be able to see everything.
Wrestlers are like cockroaches, you put them on their back and they die.

I AM THE TRUE SHOGUN OF MMALINKER!!!!
ryyonvin
Red Belt
Red Belt

Location: armbarring Shadowmoses while he cries like a girl in Bucks County, Pennsylvania

Postby irishmike357 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:19 am

I train mostly Judo and when standing up and grappling I look at the hips and feet, if striking I look more towards the shoulders. When grappling in competition I watch his eyes and as soon as he looks towards his coaches I explode. This helps alot because people tend to stop fighting when they look at their coaches. When I am on the bottom I often find myself looking at the ceiling because it helps me remain calm.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby gigica1 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:04 am

irishmike357 wrote:

I train mostly Judo and when standing up and grappling I look at the hips and feet, if striking I look more towards the shoulders. When grappling in competition I watch his eyes and as soon as he looks towards his coaches I explode. This helps alot because people tend to stop fighting when they look at their coaches. When I am on the bottom I often find myself looking at the ceiling because it helps me remain calm.

sooo true. some guys think that when they are looking at their coach it's timeout for everyone... :lol:
gigica1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby dayleymma » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 pm

Usually I kind of look at his core. I kind of zone out and wait to see what he's setting up, which direction his body is moving based on his leg placement and which side his core goes. From here, if I already know what he's setting up, I can time his strike. Or, if I can't find it, I let him strike and by the time the strike comes, I already know where he is based on where his core was before he threw it. There is basically a science behind it, but it's not 100% affective.
CompuStrike wrote:The CompuStrike program is in no way, shape, or form designed to judge a MMA event. It is designed to simply display a fighter's activity.

Sigbet Record: 3-1
dayleymma
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby irishmike357 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:17 am

gigica1 wrote:
irishmike357 wrote:

sooo true. some guys think that when they are looking at their coach it's timeout for everyone... :lol:

LMAO yeah, "hey I was looking at my coach, not fair"
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Postby Loyalty13 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:40 pm

Muaythaifro47 wrote:I train and teach a unique style of standup that is mostly muay thai with some Kyokushin Karate technique mixed in. I try to teach everyone in the class to look at the upper body of their opponent rather than into the eyes. If I am fighting somebody and I notice that they are looking at my eyes the whole time I know I am gonna f%ck them up. I usually spend the first couple minutes deliberately looking right where I am going to strike, They will start to open up as they think they know what you are thinking and where you are going to hit. As soon as I see them open up and get confident I look at their leg and throw one more nice hard leg kick that I know will hurt them. Then I look at their hurt leg and throw a nice hard kick to the head. You can also look at their head and throw a few head kicks. Just when they think they have u dialed look at their head and when they raise their hands to block the kick land a nice hard shot to the liver. Without the deception it is often difficult to land a good clean shot to the liver on a decent striker!

this is pretty much what i was gonna say. Upper body. use periphreials
Image Image
Scarface798 wrote:I think I would want to fuck that baby.
Loyalty13
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory

Postby MAthegreatest » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:45 pm

I look directly to at their chest. Then i can see everything. If you look at the eyes, they can trick you. They could look low and kick high. If you stare at the chest you can see their hands, legs, head.
ImageImage[/
MAthegreatest
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Next

Return to Stand Up