Close
Login
Register

Whats the reason why boxers make that breathing noise?

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Whats the reason why boxers make that breathing noise?

Postby molefighter » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:47 am

Whats the reason why boxers make that breathing noise everytime they throw the jab? You know what I mean? Its that short, fast, exhale when they throw a jab or do combinations. Whats the reason behind that/purpose? If you could provide a website/video I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
molefighter
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Re: Whats the reason why boxers make that breathing noise?

Postby gigica1 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:16 am

there are a few reasons for doing that...and not only by boxers:

- when moving around in your stance, you are usually relaxed, maintaining a slight contraction in your abs. the moment you are about to make contact with your target, you contract your muscles...exhaling in that moment gives you extra power in the punch by tightening your core (the key link that allows the power generated from the lower body to be transmitted to the punch), makes you less susceptible to having your "wind" knocked out) and gives you a sense of rhythm while allowing you to keep your energy levels for a longer period.

Hope this helps
gigica1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby batangastig » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:40 am

gigica is 100% correct, breathing is very important in all sports not just combat sports, you even use it in lifting. the loud yells in karate and ur so called boxer's breathing noise is basiclly the same thing.
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby TheAssassin » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:53 am

If you wanna test this out, throw 5 straights, 5 cross's and 5 hooks as fast as you can, exhaling each punch. Then wait until your not tired at all and do it at the exact same speed, without exhaling. You'll gas like a mother.
TheAssassin
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.