Close
Login
Register

What the flying fuck?

Discuss any and all non-combat sports here.

What the flying fuck?

Postby RebelSaki » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:41 am

Tell me Linkers, is this a major league caliber baseball catcher? He thinks he's Top 10.

http://blogs.thescore.com/djf/2013/04/02/j-p-arencibias-night-in-9-gifs/

Fucking shit and we traded away the #2 catcher prospect in all of baseball this summer, and left this mope in charge.

/rant
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Creator of TIO

Re: What the flying fuck?

Postby hawdrigoh » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:51 am

The middle one is probably the worst technique I have ever seen lol. Catching aside, I have a feeling this season isn't going to go as well for the Jays as many have predicted...
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
7th Professional Linker Victory
7th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby notsukao » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:14 pm

:lol: :lol:

yeah, if you get your glove on it, it's usually/very likely a passed ball. In fairness to JPA (not that I'd ever defend him), The knuckler is definitely tricky. I remember Varitek used to be a wreck whenever Wakefield pitched, I think Mirabelli became his personal catcher, and even then he'd struggle somewhat.

Anyway, maybe JPA is an undercover linker since he hit a pair of HR's the day after you posted this. But in general I agree, I don't see his appeal... His OBP is around freaking .280 every year, .280!!! 20 Hr's totally loses it's worth when you reach base at such a terrrrible clip.
Image Image
Nick Diaz (W) def. Carlos Condit (L), TKO (Stockton Slap) 3:25, Rd 2
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:32 pm

notsukao wrote::lol: :lol:

yeah, if you get your glove on it, it's usually/very likely a passed ball. In fairness to JPA (not that I'd ever defend him), The knuckler is definitely tricky. I remember Varitek used to be a wreck whenever Wakefield pitched, I think Mirabelli became his personal catcher, and even then he'd struggle somewhat.

Anyway, maybe JPA is an undercover linker since he hit a pair of HR's the day after you posted this. But in general I agree, I don't see his appeal... His OBP is around freaking .280 every year, .280!!! 20 Hr's totally loses it's worth when you reach base at such a terrrrible clip.

Why the Blue Jays brass put their confidence behind JPA going forward is beyond me. Almost indefensible. His only tool is Power, and he's a major league catcher. :|

Last year Brandon Morrow had a personal catcher (Jeff Mathis) because JPA couldn't handle his stuff. There's probably 5+ pitchers on the jays squad I wouldn't be comfortable letting JPA catch.

I got beefs. :geek:
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:08 pm

RebelSaki wrote:

Why the Blue Jays brass put their confidence behind JPA going forward is beyond me. Almost indefensible. His only tool is Power, and he's a major league catcher. :|

Last year Brandon Morrow had a personal catcher (Jeff Mathis) because JPA couldn't handle his stuff. There's probably 5+ pitchers on the jays squad I wouldn't be comfortable letting JPA catch.

Damnit, I drafted Morrow in allllll of my fantasy leagues too, it appears JPA caught his first start :cry:

I guess it could be worse though, you could always have Evan Gattis as your catcher, although in time his bat probably exceeds JPA's imo.
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:53 pm

notsukao wrote:
RebelSaki wrote:

Damnit, I drafted Morrow in allllll of my fantasy leagues too, it appears JPA caught his first start :cry:

I guess it could be worse though, you could always have Evan Gattis as your catcher, although in time his bat probably exceeds JPA's imo.

JPA is probably capable of losing Morrow >2 strikeouts on a nightly basis due to his inability to frame pitches.

However I wouldn't be worried, Morrow is a horse and he just needs to stay healthy and he'll produce like mad.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:34 am

If only JPA could decrease his K/9 and exponentially improve his BB/9, he could be a serviceable DH and we could take him off the god damn field. :lol:

That's an absolute pipedream. His career OBP is under 300 :cry:
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby 505MMA » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:23 am

RebelSaki wrote:

The Jays put a bunch of confidence in the 2012 Marlins this year too. We'll see how that works. I think RA Dickey is a one hit wonder.
505MMA
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Sig Bet World Cup Winner, Former p4p Champ

Postby RebelSaki » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:27 pm

505MMA wrote:
RebelSaki wrote:

The Jays put a bunch of confidence in the 2012 Marlins this year too. We'll see how that works. I think RA Dickey is a one hit wonder.

Jose Reyes is a stud. Josh Johnson when healthy is a proven stud. Mark Buehrle is well... not worth what he's getting paid but if he can put up a sub 4.50 ERA and give the Blue Jays 200 innings he's a stud.

Bonifacio... don't get me started on this guy. Can't wait til he gets relegated to bench player.

Overall, I see no reason to worry about the Marlins players we picked up. They have proven track records of success.

One year wonder Dickey? Look up his last 3 years. The traditional age curve also doesn't apply to knuckleballers so he's tough to project going forward.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:21 pm

Agreed on Dickey. He's been effective for 3 years...His FIP has sat between 3.2 and 3.7 each of those years. He did see a big rise in K's last year, but it's likely due to the improvements/progression on his knuckler though. The thing that worried me going into this year was him going from one of most pitcher friendly parks in the league to a hitters park...although I'm too lazy to look up the park factors right now, I'm fairly certain the Jays park plays that way. Anyway, I'm guessing the Jays were more expecting his ERA to dip a little and match his FIP from last year, and with the amount of innings he'd log, that's incredibly valuable.

Tough break for the Jays on Reyes though. I was actually pulling for them in the East, some dumb ass espn watching casual Giants/Yankees fan at work and I made a bet on them and the Yanks and who finishes higher.

Looks like you should keep bashing JPA, he's actually hitting pretty well so far, although the average is already lowwww.
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:42 am

notsukao wrote:Agreed on Dickey. He's been effective for 3 years...His FIP has sat between 3.2 and 3.7 each of those years. He did see a big rise in K's last year, but it's likely due to the improvements/progression on his knuckler though. The thing that worried me going into this year was him going from one of most pitcher friendly parks in the league to a hitters park...although I'm too lazy to look up the park factors right now, I'm fairly certain the Jays park plays that way. Anyway, I'm guessing the Jays were more expecting his ERA to dip a little and match his FIP from last year, and with the amount of innings he'd log, that's incredibly valuable.

Tough break for the Jays on Reyes though. I was actually pulling for them in the East, some dumb ass espn watching casual Giants/Yankees fan at work and I made a bet on them and the Yanks and who finishes higher.

Looks like you should keep bashing JPA, he's actually hitting pretty well so far, although the average is already lowwww.

He is hitting well :lol: 4 homeruns, .250 avg and 40% K rate and 1 walk all year.

19:1 K:BB ratio. Let that sink in :lol:

I guess what I'm getting at here is that JPA is being well... JPA
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:28 am

I should have clarified, hitting well for him :lol:

He homered again though, this is starting to get a little scary... He literally only hits when you post about him!
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby 505MMA » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:33 am

notsukao wrote:Agreed on Dickey. He's been effective for 3 years...His FIP has sat between 3.2 and 3.7 each of those years. He did see a big rise in K's last year, but it's likely due to the improvements/progression on his knuckler though. The thing that worried me going into this year was him going from one of most pitcher friendly parks in the league to a hitters park...although I'm too lazy to look up the park factors right now, I'm fairly certain the Jays park plays that way. Anyway, I'm guessing the Jays were more expecting his ERA to dip a little and match his FIP from last year, and with the amount of innings he'd log, that's incredibly valuable.

Coming from a lifelong, die hard Yankees fan. I hope you lose that bet.
Youkilis, Hafner, and Wells have been doing decent for the Yankees so far. They're real good about signing low risk Veterans and getting some good production from them. Freddy Garcia, Andruw Jones, Bartolo Colon, even Ichiro had a resurgence with the Yankees 2nd half of last season. About done with Arod though. He has become a cancer to the team.
505MMA
7th Degree Black Belt
7th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Sig Bet World Cup Winner, Former p4p Champ

Postby RebelSaki » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:29 pm

So JPA is off to, what most including myself would consider a "hot" start for him. He's got 7 homeruns in 19 games played, I mean wow that is pretty impressive.

His OBP? .260 :|
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby notsukao » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:08 pm

RebelSaki wrote:So JPA is off to, what most including myself would consider a "hot" start for him. He's got 7 homeruns in 19 games played, I mean wow that is pretty impressive.

His OBP? .260 :|

He has an equally impressive 1:28 K:BB ratio too :lol:
I don't really think WAR is too accurate of a stat, but as of right now, with his .871 OPS, he already has a .4 WAR for this year. If JPA miraculasly kept that up his WAR would come out to a grand total of around 3.5 if he caught 140 games because his D is so bad. Again, WAR has a lot of flaws, but I thought it was funny he could hit 49 HR's over 140 games, OPS .871, and still finish with near the same WAR as Ben Revere and Dan Uggla did last year :lol:
Image Image
notsukao
Red Belt
Red Belt

Next

Return to The "Club House"