Close
Login
Register

What techniques did you learn this week?

Punch, jab, and combinations. MMA standup technique. What works for you?

What techniques did you learn this week?

Postby Mr Kreaky Bones » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:43 pm

I am guessing that people on this site are actually training martial arts, not just watching it on video. What technique, combination, or strategy did you practice on the mat or in the ring this week?

This week I was practicing a two arm shoulder throw- morote seoinage.

Last edited by Mr Kreaky Bones on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Kreaky Bones
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby iamgomi2 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:55 pm

worked on guard this week, learned the omoplata even thoguh my legs dont extend that far
iamgomi2
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Mr Kreaky Bones » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:50 pm

I am going to bump this topic because I was training another technique yesterday.

Large outer reap - Osoto Gari

Anybody else in this forum in the gym?
Mr Kreaky Bones
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Smith » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Heh, not for fighting. :(
THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Postby Doughboy » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:01 am

I learned a variation of the guillotine chock that uses the elbow to apply downard pressure on the opponents back instead of just applying upper pressure. Just secure the chock then use the gabble grip to lock your hands. Throw your outside arm over their closest shoulder and use the elbow to push downards as you apply upper force with your other locked arm. Turns the guillotine into more of a vice grip chock.

Good to see a fellow Judo student. Took me forever to get the hang of a uchimatasukashi throw.
19K Death before dismount!
Doughboy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Doughboy » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:06 am

bhmessiah wrote:Anybody in the Ohio area looking for sparing matches or partners

Close yet so far away. Would be fun to spare. Always looking for new partners.
Doughboy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby fullxcontact » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am

Striking we've been working a lot of clinch work- single collar ties, control with the MT clinch, etc. Basically just controlling in various clinches and what to do with them.
Grappling we've done a TON of work with the butterfly guard which I used to hate but am getting really good at it now. There's a lot of sneaky armlocks you can nab from the butterfly guard.
fullxcontact
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Mr Kreaky Bones » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:05 pm

fullxcontact wrote:Grappling we've done a TON of work with the butterfly guard which I used to hate but am getting really good at it now. There's a lot of sneaky armlocks you can nab from the butterfly guard.

Really? That's crazy, I have only learned a few basic sweeps from butterfly. I'm glad that I have something to look forward too. I guess there are armlocks from most any position.
Mr Kreaky Bones
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Doughboy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:54 am

There are lots of tricky submissions from the butterfly guard. It's just harder to control your opponent from that position and the space between each other leaves you open to take shots. Wrist control can be key from that position.
Doughboy
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Mr Kreaky Bones » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:41 pm

Aikido wrist control techniques are a lot easier to use during grappling like the butterfly than standing.

But this week in class we practiced a sacrifice throw called Yoko Otoshi.

Mr Kreaky Bones
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby fullxcontact » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:24 pm

I'm not sure what to call this, but I guess you could say we've been working on guard sweeps. I'm on my back and my opponent is standing, throwing a punch - we worked on how to block said punch and sweep the oppoent to the mat in such a way that we are guaranteed either mount, back control or side control. Kinda sweet, but the great part about our last class was my COMPLETE domination over my main training partner. We are normally a fairly even match, except this time I caught him in an omoplata, a gogoplata (hellsyah), anaconda choke, AND, that's right, I got him in the twister. Thank you Eddie Bravo!
fullxcontact
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Mr Kreaky Bones » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:06 pm

Is class a chance to teach your training partners what you know and learn from them or is it just a simulated competition to show off your skills? Last year I would be really excited when I could get someone from my gym to tap, but lately I feel as if I haven't gotten all that I could from the class time unless I have a chance to discuss my mistakes or show a counter to the technique.

If there is a tap during training I will ask my partner to restart from the position until we have both worked out several counters or strategies.
Mr Kreaky Bones
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby fullxcontact » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:07 pm

I feel as if a lot of people from my school take the grappling class as a competition, as you say. It is split up into about 45 minutes of instruction, and another 45 minutes of free rolling (optional). What bothers me is that some people just go through the motions of instruction and when it comes to open mat, they just go nuts trying to submit people, disregarding whatever it was their instructor just taught them. When I am rolling with a partner, I do my best to help him along and I expect the same from him. For example, we begin and I immediately get a slick takedown and take side control. If I keep that position and just hold him down OR just put him in an americana, he'll learn nothing except "don't roll with that dude". Instead, I'll do my best to maintain my posistion, but if he has too much trouble, I'll either ease up or say "bridge and slide your knee past me, take half guard; good job!". I feel that open mat is a great time to work on your skills, maybe show off a little, but, a) be smart, don't hurt anybody, and b) make sure everyone is learning something useful, taking something away from class. You're not there to tap everybody; you're there to work as a team and build each other up.
fullxcontact
White Belt
White Belt

Next

Return to Stand Up