Close
Login
Register

WEIGHT BENCH vs. MACHINE??

Discuss the gear and equipment you have used to be successful

WEIGHT BENCH vs. MACHINE??

Postby NOBLE K » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Okay so im building a home gym in my house.
& I already have a set of dumbbells.
I have been confused on what to get next I am going back & forth between this weight bench & this home gym machine.
Here is the links to them both.
Please help me out here...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=7789783

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=5280822
ALISTAIR OVEREEM
NOBLE K
Green Belt
Green Belt

Re: WEIGHT BENCH vs. MACHINE??

Postby agonzalez1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Oh I'm so jealous. I live in an apt, so no space....but I'd definately go for the one with the incline/decline bench...a lot more to do...then since you have the space...buy the pull up bar station.
agonzalez1
World Champion
World Champion

Accolades: Hall of Famer

Postby NOBLE K » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:40 pm

agonzalez1 wrote:Oh I'm so jealous. I live in an apt, so no space....but I'd definately go for the one with the incline/decline bench...a lot more to do...then since you have the space...buy the pull up bar station.

already have a pull up bar haha.
i have a 100 lb heavy bag & a speed bag. 10-50 lb dumbbells.
i have just been having a veryhard time choosing between these two..
ALISTAIR OVEREEM
NOBLE K
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby agonzalez1 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:21 pm

NOBLE K wrote:
agonzalez1 wrote:Oh I'm so jealous. I live in an apt, so no space....but I'd definately go for the one with the incline/decline bench...a lot more to do...then since you have the space...buy the pull up bar station.

shheeet what do you have to worry about then, lol

definately the incling/decline...much more range of motions, not just for chest, but back, shoulders and ab routines...the other is just sitting upright, and thats it.

and its cheaper!!!
agonzalez1
World Champion
World Champion

Accolades: Hall of Famer

Postby NOBLE K » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:52 pm

agonzalez1 wrote:
NOBLE K wrote:

shheeet what do you have to worry about then, lol

definately the incling/decline...much more range of motions, not just for chest, but back, shoulders and ab routines...the other is just sitting upright, and thats it.

and its cheaper!!!

its actuallt more expensive.
bcuz it doesnt come with the bar or weights...
ALISTAIR OVEREEM
NOBLE K
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby kamron » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:59 pm

no doubt the bench. on the machine there is no way to do your bench pressing. and your chest is your center piece and you need to workout with that. and machines take away power b/c you dont have to balance the weights
kamron
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Stand-up_Philosopher » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 pm

I love my Bow Flex :D
"The human body is a submission waiting to happen." - Erik Paulson

GS GIMG
Stand-up_Philosopher
5th Professional Linker Victory

Postby Oldtoby420 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:14 pm

I'm a big fan of weight machines from all the years I spent in school using them cuz their just that much easier for some1 like me who doesn't want to deal with the time it can take with free weights. Sadly I can't afford one myself atm & am stuck using a junky free weight set no where near the level of either of those you posted, even though I don't like it as much as the machines I used in school I saw that it took less work & possibly even less time for me to see improvements. Machines make the work easy to do faster but leave you getting a half ass workout there's usually always no resistance going one of the two ways, while a bench using free weights gives you total resistance. Thus from what I've seen is that you have to do almost twice as much work to get the same results from a machine as you do free weight bench.

So all in all it sounds like your in it for the long hall to have a sweet setup that will help get you where you wana be at with all this equipement you already have to boot IMO don't gyp yourself go with the free weights. Also I read the reveiw which I always do now when buying a product where I want to know I'm getting proper quality for the money spent & like the one guys stated about the machine there was essential parts missing not allowing the machine to function properly which is something you will have a very low chance of seeing in a weighh bench. Not to mention the difference in price between the two after you have to buy the weights for both in which the free weight should be overall cheaper & they last longer then a machine that can wear / break down.

Also here's a thought try looking into the various Bowflex machines / benches I have heard nothing but good things about the ppl I know who have them that use em not to mention Bowflex is a quality company that insures / garuntees their product. This might be the best of both worlds in a quick easy to use machine that also functions like a free weight bench that gives resistance al around.
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Stand-up_Philosopher » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:25 pm

Oldtoby420 wrote:Also here's a thought try looking into the various Bowflex machines / benches I have heard nothing but good things about the ppl I know who have them that use em not to mention Bowflex is a quality company that insures / garuntees their product. This might be the best of both worlds in a quick easy to use machine that also functions like a free weight bench that gives resistance al around.

The bowflex is worth every penny. I saw results in a short period of time and I felt better after using it. The bowflex has the capability to work a lot of muscles in your body. No matter what, nothing beats good old fashion push - ups, crunches, and running.
"The human body is a submission waiting to happen." - Erik Paulson

GS GIMG
Stand-up_Philosopher

Postby Smith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:40 pm

I don't have time to look at that stuff atm, but I can say that in my weight training experience free weights and traditional lifts like dips, chinups (and other varietions) and pushups are better than machine training.

Why? Because machines balance the weight for you, thus reducing the amount of work you have to do and not exercising the stabalizing muscles that truly create real world strength. For instance, a lot of people can bench a lot more on a Smith Machine than a free weight flat bench.
THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Postby pierre18 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:07 am

kamron wrote:no doubt the bench. on the machine there is no way to do your bench pressing. and your chest is your center piece and you need to workout with that. and machines take away power b/c you dont have to balance the weights

he said it
"To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Prefontaine
pierre18
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby halal pig » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:32 am

[quote="kamron"]no doubt the bench. on the machine there is no way to do your bench pressing. and your chest is your center piece and you need to workout with that. and machines take away power b/c you dont have to balance the weights[/quote]

exactly
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Rico Is A Beast » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:59 pm

i'll tell you this from someone who has both....i have a bowlfex Xtreme, and also an Olympic siz weigh bench.....personally the Bowflex didn't work much for me, i saw a little bit more cut in my muscles, but as far as build i didn't see anything...but if you do the right program for bench press on a weigh bench, you will get stronger, more bulk on your frame, but maybe thats is just me.....but if you decide to get the wieght bench i could email you the program the i was on in high school that made my bench go up 40 pounds in just 5 weeks, only benching 3 days a week
Sigbet Record - 64 - 33
Last 10 bets - 8 - 2
1 Title Defense

Admin on The MMA Troll, The MMA Bulletin, & UFC "LIVE" Facebook pages, Follow us!
Rico Is A Beast
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion, "The Invitational" tournament winner.

Postby Rico Is A Beast » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:01 pm

Smith wrote:I don't have time to look at that stuff atm, but I can say that in my weight training experience free weights and traditional lifts like dips, chinups (and other varietions) and pushups are better than machine training.

Why? Because machines balance the weight for you, thus reducing the amount of work you have to do and not exercising the stabalizing muscles that truly create real world strength. For instance, a lot of people can bench a lot more on a Smith Machine than a free weight flat bench.

absolutely right there smith lol
Sigbet Record - 64 - 33
Last 10 bets - 8 - 2
1 Title Defense

Admin on The MMA Troll, The MMA Bulletin, & UFC "LIVE" Facebook pages, Follow us!
Rico Is A Beast
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion, "The Invitational" tournament winner.

Postby Blacksheep » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:59 pm

nobody has brought this up...and by now Im soue you have bought one...but do you have anyone to spot you on the free weights ? Or do you not plan on using enough weights to have to use a spotter ?
May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I sure as hell won't. - George S. Patton
"The Sheep's Pen"
Blacksheep
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former P4P Champ

Next

Return to Gear and Equipment