Close
Login
Register

Champ looking for a fight

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Champ looking for a fight

Postby philphan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Morning Report: Alexander Volkanovski on immediate Max Holloway trilogy: ‘What, we’re just gonna keep fighting until Max wins?’
https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/7/29/2 ... l-max-wins

At UFC 251, Alexander Volkanovski successfully defended his featherweight title for the first time, winning a split decision over former champion Max Holloway. It was the second time in a row the two had fought one another, with Volkanovski coming out ahead on the cards both times, and now, Volkanovski is adamant he get to fight someone else.

The rematch between Volkanovski and Holloway was a decidedly close battle, with many fans and media members believing Holloway had done enough to reclaim the title. As such. earlier this week UFC President Dana White told ESPN that “it’s hard not to” give Holloway an immediate rematch, despite having officially lost twice. However, Volkanovski is not a fan of that idea.

“It’s pretty clear that like, you win back-to-back, two wins in a row. To make a third one, it just doesn’t really make sense, especially right now,” Volkanovski told Submission Radio. “Again, we know that last fight was close, but the judges gave me the decision, and that’s that. And in the first fight, even though it was competitive, I pretty clearly won that fight. So, to just give him another rematch straight away and put the division on hold, it just doesn’t make any sense. . .

“It was a close fight, and I understand why people want to see the fight again, but at the same time, I won twice back to back. So, it just doesn’t really make sense right now. It’s something that it can definitely be a big fight in the future as well. But for right now, I’ve got a division that I want to hold and I don’t want to keep on hold. So, I want number one contenders, I want some fresh blood in there. So, we’ll see who that is.”

To be fair, White anticipated Volkanovski’s reaction, saying that “I’m sure Volkanovski doesn’t love the idea.” However, White comes back to the idea that given the close nature of their two previous bouts, a third fight is the fight fans want to see right now in the featherweight division. The champion disagrees.

“Look, man, I gave Max a rematch for them,” Volkanovski said. “The UFC didn’t give me anything else but the rematch. My team weren’t too happy about that, but again, I ended up saying, you know what, there’s no one else, I still think this is the biggest fight for me on that card as well – cause there was no clear number ones, so I think that was the biggest fight, and that’s why I wanted to do it. So, we ended up making it worth it on a big card like it was and we made it happen. . .

“I probably would maybe consider it if there was no other fight and this was the fight that everyone wanted, but it seems like everyone wants us to move on anyway. The division needs to play out, and we got a whole division, there’s so many of us. We’ve got 15 people that are ranked for a reason, and what, we’re just gonna keep fighting until Max wins? You know what I mean? It just doesn’t make sense.”

Volkanovski has consistently said he wants to face other top featherweight contenders and has even cited Chan Sung Jung and Zabit Magomedsharipov as possible opponents. Noticeably absent from that list is former flyweight and bantamweight champion Henry Cejudo who has been lobbying aggressively for a bout with Volkanovki. However, the champion has no intention of taking that fight either.

“I’ve got a division to hold and I’ve got my eye on the division, I want these number one contenders,” Volkanovski said. “And if for some reason the UFC pushed that on me, like I said, I’ve got to get paid for it, because it’s just a waste of time for me, I believe. A waste of time for the division.

“Again, he’s done great thing things in flyweight and bantamweight, but I mean, featherweight is whole different beast. . . That’s why it just doesn’t make sense for me, cause everyone’s just going to sort of expect me to go out there and mop the floor. And that’s pretty much exactly what’s going to happen. No disrespect to Henry Cejduo, but it’s a whole different breed in this division.”

Volkanovski’s record currently sits at 22-1 and he is the seventh-ranked pound-for-pound fighter in the UFC.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Daniel Cormier, Vicente Luque, Pedro Munhoz, Youssef Zalal,

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
World Champion
World Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar & Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017, Jan/Feb 2020, June 2020
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor (x2)
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019, Feb 2020

Re: Champ looking for a fight

Postby Oldtoby420 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:07 am

I didn't even know Max lost cuz I stopped watching before they announced who won the decision.

Fuck it let Max get a finish 1st before another shot at the belt if it's to be by then maybe he'll be hungry enough to fight to win it back rather then fight not to lose.
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby PainDog » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:11 am

I dont care who Alexander fights next I just want him to lose.

Munir Lazzez Time

Damir Ismagulov Time

Khamzat Chimaev

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Postby PainDog » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:12 am

Oldtoby420 wrote:I didn't even know Max lost cuz I stopped watching before they announced who won the decision.

Fuck it let Max get a finish 1st before another shot at the belt if it's to be by then maybe he'll be hungry enough to fight to win it back rather then fight not to lose.

Max was fighting to win and Alex was fighting not to lose.

Last round Max was putting the pressure on Volkanovski and Alex kept trying to go for takedowns. Not to do damage on the ground but just to do nothing except score points.

Munir Lazzez Time

Damir Ismagulov Time

Khamzat Chimaev

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:02 am

Max should fight anyone.....anyone... tko,ko them
Then scream robbery and demand this fight
Τίποτα
EvilGorilla69+1
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Survivor (as The Smurf)

Postby kezzaman » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:31 am

Aldo can move back up and get an immediate title shot
Forrest back by popular demand [[email protected]]
kezzaman
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby Oldtoby420 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:42 am

PainDog wrote:
Oldtoby420 wrote:I didn't even know Max lost cuz I stopped watching before they announced who won the decision.

Max was fighting to win and Alex was fighting not to lose.

Last round Max was putting the pressure on Volkanovski and Alex kept trying to go for takedowns. Not to do damage on the ground but just to do nothing except score points.

Hey I watched the stream along with every1 else on chat & was pretty disapointed. If max was rly fighting to win he could have pulled the trigger & finished Alex cuz he certainly had nothing in answer to finish Max. Maybe fighting not to lose is wrong for statement for this fight but Max certainly didn't look hungry enough.

Literaly at end of round 5 I left to the store before it was gonna close cuz didn't care who won eitherr way but I thought Max won it didn't even no for sure who the winner was until a a handful of days ago was like meh w/ev.
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby PBells » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:43 pm

PainDog wrote:I dont care who Alexander fights next I just want him to lose.
PBells
The Jim Cornette of 'Linker

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019, Oct 2019, Dec 2019
Survivor Champion (x2)

Postby philphan » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:53 pm

PBells wrote:
PainDog wrote:I dont care who Alexander fights next I just want him to lose.

:lol: He is bringing out the linker hate.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Daniel Cormier, Vicente Luque, Pedro Munhoz, Youssef Zalal,

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
World Champion
World Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar & Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017, Jan/Feb 2020, June 2020
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor (x2)
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019, Feb 2020

Postby ebickmeyer » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:59 pm

A trilogy doesn't quite make sense because Alexander was awarded the win back to back. Max should fight someone like Calvin Kattar beat him and get the shot afterwards. Someone else needs to fight Alex. Hmmm Zabit or Yair perhaps?
3 Time A League Fantasy Silver Medalist

Sig Bet Record: 12-9 Ban Bet Record: 1-0
ebickmeyer
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: June 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: July 2018, Jan 2019, Feb 2019, Apr 2019, Dec 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Apr 2017
Survivor (x3)

Postby Mr Meow » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:09 pm

No way in hell Max lost that fight.

I like both guys and I think Volkanoovski will give us a lot of good fights and violence in the future. But damn he did not win that fight

KZ and Volkanovski sounds like a great fight though :twisted:
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 6 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016, June 2020
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Postby 320IDAVE » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:16 am

KZ VS Volk sure would be interesting/fun
320IDAVE
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Return to MMA Discussion