Close
Login
Register

The mixed martial arts of Sherlock Holmes

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

The mixed martial arts of Sherlock Holmes

Postby PainDog » Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:50 pm

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/wolfbartitsu.aspx

I'm addition to the hybrid martial art of bartitsu Sherlock mentioned in the Adventure of Gloria Scott that he pracriced bar fencing and boxing.

https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/40/the-memoi ... ria-scott/

I'm pretty sure it was also mentioned that Holmes trained savate as well.

In any case he was described as being a well rounded martial artist in the late 1800s.

Damir Ismagulov Time

Saygid Arslanaliev Time

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Re: The mixed martial arts of Sherlock Holmes

Postby warriorxv » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:09 pm

Make sure you get the shares of the next product the ufc will push.

“This guy was the original goat” - d fucking w
warriorxv
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy B-League Champion: May 2016

Postby DanQuinnsKnockoutJab » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 pm

PainDog wrote:

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/wolfbartitsu.aspx

I'm addition to the hybrid martial art of bartitsu Sherlock mentioned in the Adventure of Gloria Scott that he pracriced bar fencing and boxing.

https://etc.usf.edu/lit2go/40/the-memoi ... ria-scott/

I'm pretty sure it was also mentioned that Holmes trained savate as well.

In any case he was described as being a well rounded martial artist in the late 1800s.

Well my mma training is fictional as well so let’s delve into it together.

Greco Roman with hercules
Boxing with figgs in the U.K.
Nipple twists with ghengis khan
DanQuinnsKnockoutJab
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby PainDog » Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:46 pm

I don’t understand what bartitsu or Sherlock Holmes have to do with the UFC or even pushing a product for that matter.

Sure, the character of Sherlock Holmes is fictional, however the fact that it is documented that the character trained in different martial arts and combat sports shows the concept of cross training, hybrid martial arts (combining grappling and striking) already existed in the minds of 19th century Englishmen such Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

While being fictional, literature can capture the attitudes, concepts, and beliefs of a particular people at a particular time. Characters such as Rudyard Kipling’s Kim represent an informed view of the Indian subcontinent during English colonialism in the early 20th century, as well as the English attitude towards the people they colonized.

Often enough fiction can influence reality. Not just social opinions and philosophies such as the novels of the French post-modernist like Camus and Satre but even actual science.

Bartitsu was a real martial art which was immortalized in the pages of Sherlock Holmes. I don’t know how accurate any of the revival attempts are to the original martial art. The same could be said about pankration and any other lost martial art.

The reason I mentioned bartitsu and Sherlock Holmes wasn’t just to talk about the revival attempt of some lost martial art or whether Sherlock Holmes was a martial art GOAT, rather it is just to highlight that the concept of cross training had existed and even been documented in 19th century England.

I am sure that the idea of cross training had existed prior 19th century England, and there are many examples of hybrid martial arts and cross training popping up at different places and different times prior to Mixed Martial Arts emerging as a sport.

An example I mentioned before in a thread about Hawaiian Kemp was that of Bill Ryusaki who was born in the 1930s. Bill’s father was a Japanese karate master, he insisted that his children learn multiple Japanese martial arts. They had to learn Shotokan karate by default but then had a choice to train judo or another Japanese martial art.

Damir Ismagulov Time

Saygid Arslanaliev Time

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Return to MMA Discussion