Close
Login
Register

Dana white fears...

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Dana white fears...

Postby KingOfPancrase » Mon May 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Tony Ferguson double weight cut may have cost him this fight:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/11593138 ... 1589189163
TONY FERGUSON'S double weight cut could have cost him in his brutal loss to Justin Gaethje at UFC 249, according to Dana White.

El Cucuy, who entered the event on a 12-fight winning streak, was left a battered mess as he forfeited the chance to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov.

UFC President Dana White fears that Tony Ferguson's double weight cut cost him at UFC 249
UFC President Dana White fears that Tony Ferguson's double weight cut cost him at UFC 249
El Cucuy was stopped by Justin Gaethje during their interim lightweight title fight
El Cucuy was stopped by Justin Gaethje during their interim lightweight title fightCredit: Getty Images - Getty
The 36-year-old was rushed to hospital following Saturday's main-event after he suffered a horror broken eye-socket.

He later showed off his injuries from his hospital bed.

Ferguson had cut 24 pounds from 179lb to reach the 155lb lightweight limit in the space of a week leading up to April 18, the date of his original title fight against Khabib.

With Nurmagomedov unable to travel back from Russia to compete amid the coronavirus pandemic, Gaethje agreed to step in on 11 days notice to face the American behind closed doors.

And UFC chief White believes Ferguson's weight-drop could have affected his slow performance in the Octagon.

He said: “I don’t want to take anything away from Gaethje, because he fought an incredible fight.

I thought he looked slow, and I would have to imagine that cutting weight twice in a month will affect you

UFC President Dana White On Tony Ferguson
“But I thought Tony looked off tonight. I thought he looked slow, and I would have to imagine that cutting weight twice in a month will affect you. So I don’t know if that’s it or what.

“The guy isn’t human. He’s got a chin. Nobody takes Gaethje’s punches like that – nobody I’ve seen since I’ve been watching Gaethje fight. But this kid did.”

Ferguson - who decided to cut weight just three weeks ago despite UFC 249 initially being cancelled - contested the stoppage, despite being staggered on several occasions.

But White admitted he had no issue with ref Herb Dean's call, even suggesting it could have ended sooner than the fifth.

He added: "I think the fight could have been stopped a little sooner.

“Tony took a lot of damage tonight. Not only did he take a lot of damage, he took damage from a guy who f***ing hits like a truck, a guy who hits very hard, and usually knocks people unconscious when he hits people.

"So I actually think the stoppage was great, and I think it could have been stopped sooner.”
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Re: Dana white fears...

Postby warriorxv » Mon May 11, 2020 5:49 pm

Same people who crucified wilder for choosing to wear the armour will defend tony choosing to cut weight twice.

No one forced him to do it, and many fucking people questioned it.

His own decision, his own fault.

Do I think he can beat Justin, yeah. I do. I honestly believe more than ever, actually if tony prepared for Justin and circumstances were better that tony could actually beat him..he took his best shots and didn’t go down..I truly believe tony could fuck Justin up..

Of course cutting weight effects you, if you do it twice a month I couldn’t imagine how hard it was for him..but then again..no one told him to and he comes out saying he did it himself and he credits himself for saving mma. It’s just a load of shit, he didn’t have to do it..he did it because of who he is. And now, he paid for it.
warriorxv
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy B-League Champion: May 2016

Postby KingOfPancrase » Mon May 11, 2020 6:47 pm

I think I would die cutting just the once to 205 at this point after 2 months of no gym :lol:

Spoiler:
KingOfPancrase

Postby yoseph » Mon May 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Yea, I'm sure cutting weight twice affected him to a degree, but how many times have fighters came in short notice after a recent fight and won? I know cowboy has. I believe jones did it to shogun ( :butthurt: ). I'm sure all the covid workarounds played a factor as well. Bottom line is gaethje showed up with a short camp and put in work.

I wouldn't be surprised if they throw down again when things "normalize". I also wouldn't be surprised who won. These dudes, dustin, and conor are all pretty much even on who could win any given night
yoseph
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy B-League Champion: Dec. 2015, May 2019, Aug. 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Jan. 2017, Mar. 2017
Survivor (x3)

Postby PBells » Mon May 11, 2020 9:41 pm

...blood pressure medication?
...Rogaine?
...jeans that aren't two sizes too small?
PBells
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019, Oct 2019, Dec 2019
Survivor Champion (x2)

Postby KingOfPancrase » Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 pm

yoseph wrote:Yea, I'm sure cutting weight twice affected him to a degree, but how many times have fighters came in short notice after a recent fight and won? I know cowboy has. I believe jones did it to shogun ( :butthurt: ). I'm sure all the covid workarounds played a factor as well. Bottom line is gaethje showed up with a short camp and put in work.

I wouldn't be surprised if they throw down again when things "normalize". I also wouldn't be surprised who won. These dudes, dustin, and conor are all pretty much even on who could win any given night

I think Conor murks the version of either of them that fought last night.
KingOfPancrase

Postby YMCA » Tue May 12, 2020 12:20 am

If Tony cut weight twice then he’s dumb/foolish/lazy (for gaining back the weight after the first time).

He’s supposed to be a pro, knows the (BULLSHIT) interim title is on the line and so is a shot at the true champ.

I doubt that any second cut hurt his overall condition. If it did, he’d have gone out long before he was finally stopped in round 5.

JG was just a better man and showed far more diversity in his game. He landed bombs along with lots of HARD low kicks and then began to get even more accurate once he took some power off his head strikes.

Ferguson never would have held up that long if he was exhausted so badly from a second weight cut. He showed plenty of heart, solid conditioning and a solid chin...but he got beaten by a better all around opponent who fought the right fight.

The way Tony reacted right before the stoppage (the 2 times when he backed away and shook his head) was the perfect opportunity for Herb to finally step in. I think Ferguson doesn’t even remember doing it, and while I’d have loved to see him face planted on the mat the right thing happened at the right time.

He was given every opportunity to keep his interim title and couldn’t get it done.

Fighter safety...and for a guy with demonstrated past mental health issues I’m concerned that he may have been too rough for his own good.

Time will tell if he ends up going off the deep end due to CTE.
Black Zeus wrote:
^^he has a long history of crying if things don't go his way. Doubt he can learn to keep his emotions in check at such a late age. What is he 37?
YMCA

Postby Mr Meow » Tue May 12, 2020 12:38 am

KingOfPancrase wrote:
yoseph wrote:Yea, I'm sure cutting weight twice affected him to a degree, but how many times have fighters came in short notice after a recent fight and won? I know cowboy has. I believe jones did it to shogun ( :butthurt: ). I'm sure all the covid workarounds played a factor as well. Bottom line is gaethje showed up with a short camp and put in work.

I think Conor murks the version of either of them that fought last night.

Conor via Imanari roll knee bar win over Ferguson

Conor via low kick two over Gathejeje

Conor via rear naked over Khabib

Conor via Sealevelconditioning over Cain

Spoiler:
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Postby KingOfPancrase » Tue May 12, 2020 1:33 pm

Both looked slow as fuck.
KingOfPancrase

Postby ebickmeyer » Tue May 12, 2020 1:51 pm

KingOfPancrase wrote:Both looked slow as fuck.

Justin never moves around super fast and Tony lost his speed because he kept getting leg kicked and his own kicks were getting checked over and over again.
3 Time A League Fantasy Silver Medalist

Sig Bet Record: 12-9 Ban Bet Record: 1-0
ebickmeyer
Black Belt
Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: June 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: July 2018, Jan 2019, Feb 2019, Apr 2019, Dec 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Apr 2017
Survivor (x2)

Return to MMA Discussion