Close
Login
Register

How will Gaethje deal with Kabib

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

How will Gaethje deal with Kabib

Postby philphan » Sun May 10, 2020 5:22 pm

in the grappling/wrestling department? If he can keep it standing how does that fight go?

I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters-

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Pick-Em Champion
Pick-Em Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar & Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017, Jan/Feb 2020
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor (x2)
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019, Feb 2020

Re: How will Gaethje deal with Kabib

Postby MiniMan » Sun May 10, 2020 5:37 pm

If it stays standing, there’ll be problems for khabib - Gaethje’s striking looked massively improved.

I still (just about) think Khabib’s bear-wrestling will be the difference.
**MMALinker Members' Own Fight Videos**
http://mmalinker.com/forum/mmalinker-members-own-fight-videos-t118417.html

MIDGET STOMPED
:duvalfan, taipeimma, Mikal, username78, 604warrior, beast775
MiniMan
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby jblaze » Sun May 10, 2020 8:35 pm

Personally I am hoping Gaethje can even fight Khabib. I think Mcgregor will call him out and lure him into a big payday. If Gaethje fights Khabib he won't spend the whole fight on his back or the fence but a good amount of time will be spent there. Khabib is not a good striker but his lousy striking flows right into his grappling so it should be close but I am favoring Khabib.
jblaze
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby ebickmeyer » Sun May 10, 2020 9:03 pm

Is Gaethje the best wrestler Khabib has faced in recent memory?

My opinion is if Gaethje can stuff Khabib's takedowns it will be forced into a cage battle like the Tibau fight all over again. Unlike Tibau however, Gaethje has some ugly power and can change the tide during close encounters.

Gaethje also shocked me last night with how much cardio he has. He was swinging haymakers all night and smashing my boy for 5 rounds straight.

I'll lean Justin.
3 Time A League Fantasy Silver Medalist

Sig Bet Record: 12-9 Ban Bet Record: 1-0
ebickmeyer
Black Belt
Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: June 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: July 2018, Jan 2019, Feb 2019, Apr 2019, Dec 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Apr 2017
Survivor (x2)

Postby KARHU-III » Sun May 10, 2020 9:09 pm

I'm still of the opinion that El Cucuy is the worst style for Khabib. Because it would end on the ground and in those exchanges, Tony would have made it scary. In my mind, Khabib dominates Gaethje like everyone else because of the lesser BJJ threat on the ground. Of course, there's a chance that Gaecheese is a notch better than Al and fucks Khabib up standing.
Image Image
KARHU-III
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: A Viking more American than Americans

Postby Legionarivs » Sun May 10, 2020 9:14 pm

ebickmeyer wrote:Is Gaethje the best wrestler Khabib has faced in recent memory?

My opinion is if Gaethje can stuff Khabib's takedowns it will be forced into a cage battle like the Tibau fight all over again. Unlike Tibau however, Gaethje has some ugly power and can change the tide during close encounters.

Gaethje also shocked me last night with how much cardio he has. He was swinging haymakers all night and smashing my boy for 5 rounds straight.

I'll lean Justin.

We haven't seen him wrestle much in MMA so quite hard to tell I guess. In the striking he should have an advantage but against Ferguson he wasn't paying much attention to potential takedowns and with Nurmagomedov he'll have to worry more about the takedowns. Though Nurmagomedov isn't known for his explosive takedowns, it's the chain wrestling against the cage that mostly does it. When he gets an under over on someone it's hard to deny him. I wonder if Justin would be able to throw legkicks at will during the fight. If he can get them in early it would take away a lot of mobility for Nurmagomedov. Earning his respect early making him fearful of closing the distance could be key to success as well.

I hope they make this fight quickly, time to end Nurmagomedov's run!
Legionarivs
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ebickmeyer » Sun May 10, 2020 9:37 pm

Legionarivs wrote:
ebickmeyer wrote:Is Gaethje the best wrestler Khabib has faced in recent memory?

I'll lean Justin.

We haven't seen him wrestle much in MMA so quite hard to tell I guess. In the striking he should have an advantage but against Ferguson he wasn't paying much attention to potential takedowns and with Nurmagomedov he'll have to worry more about the takedowns. Though Nurmagomedov isn't known for his explosive takedowns, it's the chain wrestling against the cage that mostly does it. When he gets an under over on someone it's hard to deny him. I wonder if Justin would be able to throw legkicks at will during the fight. If he can get them in early it would take away a lot of mobility for Nurmagomedov. Earning his respect early making him fearful of closing the distance could be key to success as well.

I hope they make this fight quickly, time to end Nurmagomedov's run!

Yes, and Justin is amazing at throwing those hard kicks at close range. If he could hurt Khabib's legs it could make it harder for him to shoot or chain. On the downside it leaves him vulnerable to getting his kicks caught and potentially getting taken down.

I hope this one goes down. With Khabib involved it may not.
3 Time A League Fantasy Silver Medalist

Sig Bet Record: 12-9 Ban Bet Record: 1-0
ebickmeyer
Black Belt
Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: June 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: July 2018, Jan 2019, Feb 2019, Apr 2019, Dec 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Apr 2017
Survivor (x2)

Postby Shuck » Sun May 10, 2020 9:57 pm

The best wrestler Khabib has faced in the ufc was his 1st fight vs Kamal Shalorus who was a decorated freestyle on the world scene in yrs past. Freestyle isnt the same as Folk (american college). Folkstyle translates much better to mma because the base is scrambling & riding from top.. Since then the best he saw was Iaquinta a folkstyle wrestler.. & we saw that Al gave beeb problems in the later rounds.. Gaethje was a much higher calibur then Al in college, better then Ferg as well.. If this was the old Justin who was non stop forward aggression I would say beeb should be a heavy fav but the new counter striker Justin is a diff beast & is the perfect style to spoil that 0.. Khabeeb gets his takedowns on the cage, not in the open, which means Justin will be able to get his kicks off. Beeb is non stop forward pressure & this plays right into Justins counter boxing.. Justin is an elite scrambler but the unknown is his bottom game, will he get up?.. I think the line will come in w/beeb as a -250 to -300 range, imo it should be a 50/50 fight.. I will bet Justin, expect that he will lose maybe the 1st & then get into his rhythm, prediction will be he takes over & either finishes beeb late or wins a dec.. then we get Conor vs Gaethje for all the marbles & that fight is another coinflip banger
Magatron Makn Link Great Again

03/09' BBelt Account - Partially Deleted because Shucky always speaks the Truth, Even when I Lie - :hand:

Quake is Coming :thunder: :skullmad:
Shuck
Green Belt
Green Belt

Accolades: MMALinker Bum of the Year 2017, 2018, 2019

Postby PainDog » Sun May 10, 2020 10:24 pm

Gaethje has said he doesn't wrestle in MMA because he doesnt have the cardio for it.

We've seen him taken down by people like Porier and get up breathing hard so it might be true.

I think Gaethje's style of leg kicks from the inside could be interesting.

Both Khabib and Justin are managed by Ali Abdelaziz so I dont think there will too many issues with negotiations.

Damir Ismagulov Time

Saygid Arslanaliev Time

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Postby KingOfPancrase » Mon May 11, 2020 1:01 am

I think Conor KILLS Gaethje standing up. Ferguson too for that matter. But Gaethje might have a better shot of beating Kabib
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Return to MMA Discussion