Close
Login
Register

Anyone dabble in the stock market?

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Anyone dabble in the stock market?

Postby TFlock » Mon May 04, 2020 8:41 pm

Hey boys,

Anyone lose a bunch of money in the recent market crash? Anyone do day trading or short term trading?

I have money invested in a Nasdaq 100 index fund for my rrsp and then I buy some stocks here and there depending on how I’m feeling, cash available etc. The Nasdaq 100 index fund has gone up like 12% in the last month so that’s pretty sweet. I have a lot in there and it’s classified as high risk. Some years it’s gone up 40% (before I bought it of course)

Bought $1000 of a toy company stock last month and sold it with a 50% profit in 3 weeks.

Bought $5000 delta airlines when warren Buffett bought some back in March after the market started to crash then it crashed more and my stock is worth like half of what I bought it for so that was a bad one.

I’ve also got some Canadian blue chip stocks that I bought recently as they seemed like good prices.

Anyone else play the stocks? Got any advice, etc? I’m kinda new to it.

I’m thinking I’m feeling too fearful of another crash so I might sell what I’ve got just for peace of mind as this virus thing seems like it might have quite an impact on consumer confidence for quite a few months. Thinking it might crash again soon as it seems overvalued.
ImageImage
The legend Mr. Perfect ——> below
Spoiler:

TFlock

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: May 2017, July 2018, Jan/Feb/Mar 2019, Oct 2019, Dec 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: June 2018
Survivor
First Linker to Hold Two Gaming Commission Belts in the Modern Era

Re: Anyone dabble in the stock market?

Postby DanQuinnsKnockoutJab » Mon May 04, 2020 8:54 pm

I’m turned some cash into angry birds cash and also did some currency exchange on chaturbate.
DanQuinnsKnockoutJab
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby philphan » Mon May 04, 2020 9:01 pm

Invest in weed, it's a growth stock. :cig:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Amanda Nunes, Marvin Vettori, Herbert Burns

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
World Champion
World Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar & Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017, Jan/Feb 2020
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor (x2)
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019, Feb 2020

Postby TFlock » Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 pm

philphan wrote:Invest in weed, it's a growth stock. :cig:

Yeah I’m definitely going to. It’s a matter of when. Just wanna see if the market stabilizes.

Thinking of a company called Aphria
ImageImage
Spoiler:

TFlock

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: May 2017, July 2018, Jan/Feb/Mar 2019, Oct 2019, Dec 2019
Survivor

Postby TFlock » Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 pm

DanQuinnsKnockoutJab wrote:I’m turned some cash into angry birds cash and also did some currency exchange on chaturbate.

:lol: Solid investments
ImageImage
Spoiler:

TFlock

Survivor

Postby yoseph » Tue May 05, 2020 1:00 am

I would avoid weed stocks for awhile unless you are willing to lose some on a prideful venture (which all stocks should be anyway). I invested in aurora and supreme this time last year and have lost on both. Weed crashed after outdoor harvest season because it seemed like they forgot to calculate the outdoor flood into their projections. I bought aurora at ~7.00 and it went as high as 11 but I decided to wait awhile and it crashed as low as .60.. sitting at a cool 1.02 right now. ACB was projected to be one of the top weed stocks too. I bought supreme at 1.02 and it went as high as 2, but now it's at .19... my worst stock is one I wanted to get in a around 4 or 5 years ago but didnt until last year, and that Chesapeake energy. They were in the 30s for awhile and dropped down to 2 something on bankruptcy fears, but it was all media. Its hovered between 2 and 5 ever since. I bought in a 2.35 last year and it went up a bit but they are legit going bankrupt now :lol:. They did some restructuring last month and it jumped from 1.00 to like 15.00 but it fell back down to worthless and word has it they are going under so that's done for.

On a positive note I invested on disney right before disney + dropped. I bought in at 115 and it jumped up to 145, maybe even higher for a very short period. After the park's closed and they changed CEO it dropped below 100 been sitting around there. I invested activion/blizzard at 41 before cod MW and WOW classic dropped and they have been my most sustained/ successful currently. They are at 67 today so that's a 50% gain :moneymoney:

Before GTA V dropped I wanted to invest in rockstar (TakeTwoInteractive) and it was at $10 but always jumped to around 25 when a GTA would release and then fall back down a few weeks later. I didnt have money at the time so I didnt invest, but it did the reliable jump to 25 and then climbed to 30, then 40 due to the success of GTA online, and peaked at 137.99 last year. Sitting at a cool 124.91 today. That one really gets me because that's 1200% profit and I was considering putting all my savings (5k at the time) into it. Hindsight is 20/20.

My current status with the shitty investments I actually committed to, I'm in $4,675 and I'm worth $2,669. Could be worse all things considered, but I ingested the money as a gamble knowing I might lose it and to wait atleast the full 1 year to avoid capital gain taxes. You get taxed at something like 30% on profit in the first 365 days but that rate falls to like 12% after. I'm at the point of no return with the losses and I dont see DIS or ACTV falling any time soon so I'm dug in for the time being.

At this point in time, I'm no wolf of wall street, but cheers and good luck. My only advice is buy into companies in having a bad quarter but are stable enough to bounce back, and never put money in that you aren't willing to lose. It's a gamble. :beer:
yoseph
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy B-League Champion: Dec. 2015, May 2019, Aug. 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Jan. 2017, Mar. 2017
Survivor (x3)

Postby TFlock » Tue May 05, 2020 1:20 am

Thanks for the info on your portfolio and experiences :hand2:

I compare the weed stocks to the dot com bubble. Everything was pumped up and only the real businesses survived. I think that’s what weed stocks are going through. I also thought Aurora was going to be a big time player but it seems like their management is gonna make them go bankrupt but who knows? Maybe not. Hope not for your sake but I heard their cash pile is running lower.

Don’t you have a TFSA? You won’t have to pay those taxes if you do it through a TFSA. You can deposit and withdraw as much as you want as long as you don’t go over your limit which should be pretty high (tens of thousands if you’ve never used it)

Nice job on the Disney, blizzard :moneybag:

Hate that when you have a feeling about a stock and then it goes up a shitload like that gta v one you mentioned

I have some in bank stocks, manulife financial, enbridge as they are all solid companies that aren’t going under so I make a small profit from having them. Not gonna lose but wont get rich with them.

Wish I would have got on the Shopify bandwagon before it got big too

Lots to research to do. Lots of time for it right now with the fucken virus haha
ImageImage
Spoiler:

TFlock

Survivor

Postby bruins2012 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:56 am

TFlock wrote:Thanks for the info on your portfolio and experiences :hand2:

I compare the weed stocks to the dot com bubble. Everything was pumped up and only the real businesses survived. I think that’s what weed stocks are going through. I also thought Aurora was going to be a big time player but it seems like their management is gonna make them go bankrupt but who knows? Maybe not. Hope not for your sake but I heard their cash pile is running lower.

Don’t you have a TFSA? You won’t have to pay those taxes if you do it through a TFSA. You can deposit and withdraw as much as you want as long as you don’t go over your limit which should be pretty high (tens of thousands if you’ve never used it)

Hate that when you have a feeling about a stock and then it goes up a shitload like that gta v one you mentioned

I have some in bank stocks, manulife financial, enbridge as they are all solid companies that aren’t going under so I make a small profit from having them. Not gonna lose but wont get rich with them.

Lots to research to do. Lots of time for it right now with the fucken virus haha

In my opinion the easy money has been made. I bought or recommended some stock to a few investors a long time ago, before the easy money was made around the time of Y2J. There might be further upside, there also might be future downside, because the stock is “due for a correction”. We’ll just have to wait and see how the market corrects itself. With my market sentiment, I’m typically investing in the long positions of commodities until I feel like shorting it. I find it better to be bearish and not so much to be bullish through my own experience. Someone has to be the bear and someone has to be the twink. Sometimes that’s just how the cookie crumbles.

:P
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 2014-2015 & 2015-2016 Fantasy Hockey Champion
Fantasy B-League Champion: Aug 2016, May/Sep 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: July 2016
Survivor

Postby KingOfPancrase » Tue May 05, 2020 2:02 am

bruins2012 wrote:

In my opinion the easy money has been made. I bought or recommended some stock to a few investors a long time ago, before the easy money was made around the time of Y2J. There might be further upside, there also might be future downside, because the stock is “due for a correction”. We’ll just have to wait and see how the market corrects itself. With my market sentiment, I’m typically investing in the long positions of commodities until I feel like shorting it. I find it better to be bearish and not so much to be bullish through my own experience. Someone has to be the bear and someone has to be the twink. Sometimes that’s just how the cookie crumbles.

Sort of related. If all the boomers die off from corona virus when it comes back in the fall/winter millennials might finally be able to afford to buy a house when the housing market collapses. I can get one for 0 money down too because I was in the army :nerd:
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby yoseph » Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 am

I looked up TFSA and first thing it says is Canadian savings account :lol: uncle sam wont let that shit fly. If anything I'll get taxed twice
yoseph
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Survivor (x3)

Postby TFlock » Tue May 05, 2020 11:37 am

KingOfPancrase wrote:
bruins2012 wrote:

Sort of related. If all the boomers die off from corona virus when it comes back in the fall/winter millennials might finally be able to afford to buy a house when the housing market collapses. I can get one for 0 money down too because I was in the army :nerd:

bruins - yeah, I missed out on the tech boom since 2009. the nasdaq 100 index fund that I have my rrsp invested in has gone up over 700% in the last 10 years (compounded). $1000 would be worth over $7000 and thats just a mutual fund. doesn't seem realistic. im still expecting another drop in the market as this recovery seems fake. im still new to this so definitely no expert.

Spoiler:

kop - you get a house for zero down for being in the army? thats cool. I hear all of these non home owners think that a crash will help them get a house but I don't think so. in my opinion they won't be getting mortgages as the risk is even higher of default with a weak economy. the rich buggers will swoop them all up. but im no expert. Vancouver just had the lowest monthly home sales since 1982 :-?
ImageImage
Spoiler:

TFlock

Survivor

Postby yoseph » Tue May 05, 2020 12:40 pm

Down here there are more houses up for than ever. I've been keeping am eye on the market for the last couple years but it's just so damn high. More foreclosures are starting to pop up too. The high volume market is already getting people to lower prices by undercutting each other. People will be getting desperate and this process will continue just like it did in 08/09. I dont think there will be a problem giving out loans because they want asses in assets and that constant income it provides. Small income > no income
yoseph
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Survivor (x3)

Postby blackmetalcarson » Tue May 05, 2020 12:55 pm

I've been interested in this for awhile, but like where do you go to buy/trade/sell and all of that? Where do you make an account at?
blackmetalcarson
Linker's Resident Asshole

Postby TFlock » Tue May 05, 2020 2:35 pm

blackmetalcarson wrote:I've been interested in this for awhile, but like where do you go to buy/trade/sell and all of that? Where do you make an account at?

Yeah I also waited too long while I pondered. You can inquire with your bank as they all have their own trading platform. Mine has an app and I can also access it in my online banking.
ImageImage
Spoiler:

TFlock

Survivor

Postby TFlock » Tue May 05, 2020 2:37 pm

yoseph wrote:Down here there are more houses up for than ever. I've been keeping am eye on the market for the last couple years but it's just so damn high. More foreclosures are starting to pop up too. The high volume market is already getting people to lower prices by undercutting each other. People will be getting desperate and this process will continue just like it did in 08/09. I dont think there will be a problem giving out loans because they want asses in assets and that constant income it provides. Small income > no income

Isn’t that what caused the ‘08 crash? Giving mortgages to people that couldn’t afford them long term. Should be interesting to see what happens from all of this.
ImageImage
Spoiler:

TFlock

Survivor

Next

Return to MMA Discussion