Close
Login
Register

Is DJ still a top Pound for Pound fighter

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Is DJ still a top Pound for Pound fighter

Postby philphan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 pm

Demetrious Johnson to Face Adriano Moraes for ONE Flyweight Title on April 11
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/287 ... n-april-11

The highly anticipated championship match between Demetrious Johnson and flyweight champion Adriano Moraes will take place April 11 at ONE: Reign of Dynasties as announced by ONE Championship president Chatri Sityodtong on his social channels Sunday night.

After winning the ONE flyweight world grand prix tournament last October, Johnson became the No. 1 contender for flyweight champion Moraes' title. The 33-year-old's move to Singapore-based ONE in October 2018 saw the former UFC champion go 3-0 after defeating Yuya Wakamatsu, Tatsumitsu Wada and Danny Kingad on his way to the world grand prix championship. Now, "Mighty Mouse" looks to become the first athlete to win both a UFC and ONE belt when he faces Moraes.

The Brazilian is the only ONE athlete to win a belt on three separate occasions after he reclaimed it this time last year against Geje Eustaquio and is considered to be the best flyweight in the promotion's history. Moraes will go into the match having not competed since January 2019, but the 18-3 veteran waited for a world grand prix winner to emerge and told ONE he's excited to test himself against who most consider the greatest flyweight of all time.

"I've been waiting for this legend versus legend fight—me and DJ—to see who is the best flyweight in the world," Moraes said. "I have the chance to show the world, my friends and my family what I have been working so hard for."

Johnson earned a second-round submission over Wakamatsu before defeating Wada and Kingad by unanimous decision in the semifinals and final of the world grand prix, respectively. During his time in the UFC, the Kirkland, Washington resident was flyweight champion for six years and still owns the record for most consecutive title defenses with eleven.

Moraes has beaten the best flyweights ONE had to offer over the years, including Eustaquio twice, Kairat Akhmetov and Kingad in route to three title reigns.

For a promotion that hangs its hat on the competitiveness of their smaller weight divisions, this match should highlight just that as one of the most important bouts in ONE history. Johnson's quest to be considered the greatest pound-for-pound mixed martial artist of all time will take a major leap with a win over a vastly underrated Moraes, who has been close to the top of ONE's talent pool for years now.

Towering over most flyweights at 5'8", the champion will have a significant height advantage over Mighty Mouse, who has admittedly struggled with the size of some of his opponents at ONE since joining the company. How will that play out against by far his toughest opponent yet in Johnson?

The April 11 event will stream on B/R Live.

I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Daniel Cormier, Vicente Luque, Pedro Munhoz, Yoel Romero, Youssef Zalal

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
World Champion
World Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar & Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017, Jan/Feb 2020, June 2020
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor (x2)
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019, Feb 2020

Re: Is DJ still a top Pound for Pound fighter

Postby warriorxv » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:17 pm

Circus midgets and manly females, I don’t care for these fighters.
warriorxv
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy B-League Champion: May 2016

Postby jblaze » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:15 am

No he isn't a top fighter anymore because he lost a fight to cejudo that could have went either way.
jblaze
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby H.K.D. » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 pm

No.
RIP Lemmy #Lemmyisgod #Godisdead
H.K.D.
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Mr Meow » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm

jblaze wrote:No he isn't a top fighter anymore because he lost a fight to cejudo that could have went either way.

:lol: :lol: Well said

warriorxvv wrote:Circus midgets and manly females, I don’t care for these fighters.

Yeah? Only the big boys with the big muscles do it for you? :lol: :lol:
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 6 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016, June 2020
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Postby KingOfPancrase » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:42 pm

Mr Meow wrote:
jblaze wrote:No he isn't a top fighter anymore because he lost a fight to cejudo that could have went either way.

:lol: :lol: Well said

warriorxvv wrote:Circus midgets and manly females, I don’t care for these fighters.

Yeah? Only the big boys with the big muscles do it for you? :lol: :lol:

Exactly. I'm with warrior.

The real question is not if he's still a top pound for pound fighter....but who really gives a shit?
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby YMCA » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:59 am

Meh.

3-0 since losing to Cejudo (VERY close fight), with 2 decisions against lower quality competition.

He gets the wins, but I think people have lost interest in him/the smaller classes.

Cejudo is trying to be entertaining but his antics are weak AF.

Is he still a great fighter? Probably...but does anyone really care?
Black Zeus wrote:
^^he has a long history of crying if things don't go his way. Doubt he can learn to keep his emotions in check at such a late age. What is he 37?
YMCA

Postby Mr Meow » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:27 pm

YMCA wrote:Meh.

3-0 since losing to Cejudo (VERY close fight), with 2 decisions against lower quality competition.

He gets the wins, but I think people have lost interest in him/the smaller classes.

Cejudo is trying to be entertaining but his antics are weak AF.

Is he still a great fighter? Probably...but does anyone really care?

Oh yes. The no True Scottsman, mma style, rears its head again :lol:

You would think the massive amount of success from dudes and women from Strikeforce, the WEC and the broken down legends from Pride winning UFC titles would have eradicated this thought process awhile ago

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The Gif was a joke, I have not seen the Just Bleed guy around these parts much :lol:

Spoiler:
Kingad and Wakumatsu would both be top 10 easily, probably top 5 in the current UFC 125 division. Especially with how thin it is presently after they cut a bunch of dudes and then decided to keep the division afterall :lol:
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 6 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016, June 2020
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018, Nov 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt
Pick-Em Champion: January 2020

Return to MMA Discussion