Close
Login
Register

Chinese Champion Denied Visa Again

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

Chinese Champion Denied Visa Again

Postby bruins2012 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am

UFC champ Weili Zhang’s visa denied again, US presidential candidate offers help

The UFC’s first Chinese champion is having trouble securing a US visa.

Weili Zhang took the strawweight title after quickly knocking out Jessica Andrade last August. Having their first Chinese champion is an important milestone for the UFC’s growth, and they have been immediately trying to capitalize on business opportunities that stems from it.

Just days after her championship victory, the UFC reportedly started negotiating to get $100 million in broadcasting fees in China. On Endeavor’s planned IPO, the UFC’s parent company also touted Zhang’s title win and its impact in the Chinese market and their bottom line.

Plans for Zhang included a first title defense in the US, which would include a heavy marketing push and promotional tour to grow her brand in the West. This would be a smart move as the Chinese audience goes all in on their champions and international superstars, but they’ve hit a bit of a tiny snag on those plans.

As Zhang noted on social media, her US visa application has been denied again, and she expressed some frustration over it.

“My American visa was refused again. I don’t know why,” Zhang wrote on Instagram. “Is it the wrong type of visa I should apply for? Or because I’m a single woman? Or is the visa officer in a bad mood at work today?

“I hope this can be resolved so I can visit and get to meet some of my new friends and fans in America. We are still working on it and hope to have good news in time for me to make the trip on Oct 15th.”

The UFC’s legal team is helping sort things through ahead of a planned US media tour this October. It seems like Zhang will be getting some added support from high places as well, in the form of democratic presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard.

“Wow!” Zhang wrote on Instagram. “I just received news from my manager that miss @tulsigabbard contacted him to try and help us. Thank you thank you miss Tulsi.”

Zhang’s manager also posted a statement from congresswoman Gabbard on social media.

“We need more ties and partnerships between our two countries, in spite of the differences. MMA is an amazing way to do that.”

Zhang said she’ll just be continuing her training as she awaits news of her application. After losing her MMA debut in 2013, the 29-year-old has gone undefeated and compiled a 20-1 record (4-0 in the UFC).

:P
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 2014-2015 & 2015-2016 Fantasy Hockey Champion
Fantasy B-League Champion: Aug 2016, May/Sep 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: July 2016
Survivor

Re: Chinese Champion Denied Visa Again

Postby PBells » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:05 am

Bet WME didn't think about that when they stacked the deck
PBells
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019
Survivor Champion

Postby kezzaman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 am

She could land in Mexico and sneak across the border
Forrest back by popular demand [[email protected]]
kezzaman
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Mr Meow » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 am

So random Gabbard offered her help

They better get her a visa. I enjoy watching Zhang and Andrade fight the violence always follows :twisted:
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
3rd Professional Linker Victory
3rd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt

Postby Oldtoby420 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 pm

kezzaman wrote:She could land in Mexico and sneak across the border

Or just fight in Mexico or Canada.

But you do realize it's probably not the US that's denying her the VISA, it's almost certainly China that isn't letting it go through for one reason or another either be it political or economical. Maybe China just wants to keep it's champ only able to defend in China.
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby ebickmeyer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Oldtoby420 wrote:

But you do realize it's probably not the US that's denying her the VISA, it's almost certainly China that isn't letting it go through for one reason or another either be it political or economical. Maybe China just wants to keep it's champ only able to defend in China.

OR move to Russia then sneak across the ice then fight in Alaska!!!
3 Time A League Fantasy Silver Medalist

Sig Bet Record: 12-9 Ban Bet Record: 1-0
ebickmeyer
Black Belt
Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: June 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: July 2018, Jan 2019, Feb 2019, Apr 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Apr 2017
Survivor

Postby kezzaman » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:51 pm

ebickmeyer wrote:
Oldtoby420 wrote:

Forrest back by popular demand [[email protected]]
kezzaman
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby PainDog » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:58 pm

She is just another in a list of fighters and coaches that have had Visa issues like Maribeck Taisumov and Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov.
https://amenra.bandcamp.com

Damir Ismagulov Time

Saygid Arslanaliev Time

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Postby ebickmeyer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:09 pm

kezzaman wrote:
ebickmeyer wrote:
Oldtoby420 wrote:

3 Time A League Fantasy Silver Medalist

Sig Bet Record: 12-9 Ban Bet Record: 1-0
ebickmeyer
Black Belt
Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: June 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: July 2018, Jan 2019, Feb 2019, Apr 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Apr 2017
Survivor

Postby bruins2012 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Oldtoby420 wrote:

What? She’s applying for a US so clearly it’s the US denying the visa. China would certainly want their fighter getting more western attention as it would only help with the image of China. What you posted makes zero sense.

When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012

Survivor

Postby hawdrigoh » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:36 am

I know what would get it approved.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I'll see myself out.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
6th Professional Linker Victory
6th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby Oldtoby420 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:09 am

bruins2012 wrote:
Oldtoby420 wrote:

What? She’s applying for a US so clearly it’s the US denying the visa. China would certainly want their fighter getting more western attention as it would only help with the image of China. What you posted makes zero sense.

You do realize when it comes to things like obtaining Visas & even Passports used to get into another country it works both ways both countries have to approve it in the various ways. I can apply for a Passport or Visa in USA for another country & they can deny me either if they don't want me to leave the country for some reason or other. Then if they do allow it the other said country could not allow me entry or deny my Visa on their end. Typically the country of origin it can be as easy as applying then granted no problem but some countries you are from or going to you may get denied by one side or the other.

Obviously conflicting countries are gonna have issues & problems with these things until they work it out or said ppl are properly vetted by all parties. I mean China or USA doesn't want ppl with certain info or even possible info or even defecting maybe from leaving their countries for fear the other country will obtain it so they stop em from doing so. This just a simple example of how the country of origin can deny you but there's loads of reasons

Chances are sounds like it's probably a bussiness issue problem with the owners of Zuffa & China sorta like the Zuffa & New York Culinary BS just leaverage they are using to get em to cave / fold.

It's sooo funny how people from other countries bad mouth USA & their citizens around the world all the time but act like we should let anyone that wants to just walk into our country how dare we deny them entry & everyone is up in arms but if or when the shoe is on the other foot nobodies gonna complain about an American being denied the same thing. It's always just blame USA before even knowing the full story or has to always be USA's fault don't think to take accountability of your own or your own countries actions that caused the problem is easier to just blame some one else.
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby bruins2012 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:12 am

Oldtoby420 wrote:
bruins2012 wrote:
Oldtoby420 wrote:

You do realize when it comes to things like obtaining Visas & even Passports used to get into another country it works both ways both countries have to approve it in the various ways. I can apply for a Passport or Visa in USA for another country & they can deny me either if they don't want me to leave the country for some reason or other. Then if they do allow it the other said country could not allow me entry or deny my Visa on their end. Typically the country of origin it can be as easy as applying then granted no problem but some countries you are from or going to you may get denied by one side or the other.

Obviously conflicting countries are gonna have issues & problems with these things until they work it out or said ppl are properly vetted by all parties. I mean China or USA doesn't want ppl with certain info or even possible info or even defecting maybe from leaving their countries for fear the other country will obtain it so they stop em from doing so. This just a simple example of how the country of origin can deny you but there's loads of reasons

Chances are sounds like it's probably a bussiness issue problem with the owners of Zuffa & China sorta like the Zuffa & New York Culinary BS just leaverage they are using to get em to cave / fold.

It's sooo funny how people from other countries bad mouth USA & their citizens around the world all the time but act like we should let anyone that wants to just walk into our country how dare we deny them entry & everyone is up in arms but if or when the shoe is on the other foot nobodies gonna complain about an American being denied the same thing. It's always just blame USA before even knowing the full story or has to always be USA's fault don't think to take accountability of your own or your own countries actions that caused the problem is easier to just blame some one else.

No shit Sherlock.

China wants a bigger part of the world stage and want to push their athletes are a demonstration that they can compete on the world stage as well. It’s very obviously not the Chinese denying their citizen a chance to go to the US and grow her brand as well as the brand that China wants to promote.

bruins2012

Survivor

Postby jblaze » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:10 am

Will somebody let this woman finish getting her five minutes of fame.
jblaze
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby JACKnoneREACHER » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Typical Chinese Bullshit
Image Image
JACKnoneREACHER
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Survivor

Return to MMA Discussion