Close
Login
Register

It's hard to get rid of spiders

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

It's hard to get rid of spiders

Postby philphan » Wed May 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Anderson Silva, 44, doesn't plan on retiring any time soon
https://sports.yahoo.com/anderson-silva ... 23829.html

Anderson Silva walked to the dais at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas on Jan. 31, 2015, following his victory over Nick Diaz at UFC 183 earlier that night and in an extraordinarily emotional speech, discussed retiring.

It was Silva as he was rarely seen before, sentimental, insightful, thoughtful and real. He’d come back from a badly broken leg in a fight with Chris Weidman more than a year earlier that had threatened to end his career on the spot and proved why he’d long been considered the best MMA fighter of all-time.

More than four years since that stunning speech, Silva is still at it. He’ll fight Jared Cannonier on Saturday at Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in the co-main event of UFC 237, and says there is a simple reason for it.

“I love my job so much,” he said, laughing heartily.

After a loss to Israel Adesanya at UFC 234 in February, Silva said he wanted to fight at the card in Brazil. It was assumed it would be a way for him to say goodbye on his home turf.

He’s 44 now and not nearly the same fighter he once was, when he was so dominant he held the UFC middleweight title for nearly seven years. He’s 1-5 with a no-contest in his last seven bouts, and admits he’s no longer shooting for the title.

But neither is he walking away. In 2015, his wife, Dayane, and his five children were pleading with him to walk away from fighting. He was married to MMA and his success came because of long hours in the gym, traveling the world to find the best training.

He was absent for long stretches, the price one has to pay to achieve the kind of greatness Silva did.

He still loves training. He still loves to fight, but his family comes first.

“Even when I said I was going to [retire], fighting stayed inside my heart and inside my mind,” he said. “I had given everything to my sport. In that moment, my family was giving me a lot of pressure to stop because I spent a lot of time away, training and training. I dedicated more time to my sport and not enough time to my family.

“And doing that, I stayed for a long time the best fighter in the world. But now, it’s different. I don’t need to prove anything for anybody. Now, I just try to do my best and work hard for me and my team. I love my sport. I love martial arts. This is what I love to do so much.”

Silva has “three or four” more fights left on his contract, and said he planned to fight those out. Then, he said, “we’ll see what happens.”

It’s obvious it’s hard for him to walk away, but this isn’t a case where someone needs to save him from himself.

Silva is losing more than he ever did — he has five losses in his last seven fights after just four losses in his first 37 — but he’s not taking undue punishment.

And his losses have come against some of the sport’s elite, including two former middleweight champions (Weidman and Michael Bisping); a current middleweight champion (Adesanya); and a current heavyweight champion (Daniel Cormier).

Cannonier is coming off an impressive win and is, as Silva called him, “a big, strong guy.”

“This is a guy where it is important I use my skills against him, Muay Thai and wrestling,” Silva said. “I’ve trained my wrestling every day to try to put my opponent on the ground. Let’s see what happens. It’s a very strong fight, a very interesting fight, but there is something more important. I want to give a big show for my fans. I want to do something special for the people in Brazil.”

He’s done it for more than a decade now, and he doesn’t seem ready to walk away any time soon.

The guy is 44 years young, sounds like he is in his prime, just like me. :hand1: :mrgreen:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Paul Daley, Marvin Vettori, Ben Askren, Beneil Dariush, Won Il Kwon

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Re: It's hard to get rid of spiders

Postby bruins2012 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:42 pm

Shogun vs The Spider

:P
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012
10th Professional Linker Victory
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 2014-2015 & 2015-2016 Fantasy Hockey Champion
Fantasy B-League Champion: Aug 2016, May/Sep 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: July 2016
Survivor

Postby jjmmajkd » Wed May 08, 2019 10:22 pm

Can Robbie Lawler Middleweight?
jjmmajkd
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: First "Guess da Linka" Champion
WAG Champion
First Video Mod
Served on the front lines during the "Asian Invasion"
Made the Zuffa Video Threads
Banned 6RANDON1POSEY9

Postby YMCA » Sat May 11, 2019 7:42 am

:-?
jjmmajkd wrote:Can Robbie Lawler Middleweight?

Oh, hell yeah (he’s fought there before, for several years).

If he lands one hard, clean shot...Spider won’t have a choice in retiring.

Of course, I want to see Robbie whip TWood’s ass and then challenge for the 170 pound strap.
Black Zeus wrote:
^^he has a long history of crying if things don't go his way. Doubt he can learn to keep his emotions in check at such a late age. What is he 37?
YMCA

Postby yoseph » Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 pm

jjmmajkd wrote:Can Robbie Lawler Middleweight?

If Anderson Silva could Robbie Lawler, he would've won.

yoseph
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Fantasy B-League Champion: Dec. 2015, May 2019, Aug. 2019
Fantasy C-League Champion: Jan. 2017, Mar. 2017
Survivor (x2)

Postby PBells » Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Nah, you just have to break their legs.

Spoiler:
PBells
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019
Survivor Champion

Postby philphan » Wed May 15, 2019 8:22 am

PBells wrote:Nah, you just have to break their legs.

Spoiler:

:lol: who would have ever thought someone else would kick spider and stop him. :butthurt:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Paul Daley, Marvin Vettori, Ben Askren, Beneil Dariush, Won Il Kwon

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Return to MMA Discussion