Close
Login
Register

**McGregor vs Khabib Breaks Records**

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

**McGregor vs Khabib Breaks Records**

Postby bruins2012 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Report - UFC 229: Khabib vs. McGregor hits new record high of 2.4 million PPV buys

It appears that MMA has a new high bar when it comes to all time, best-selling fights. Conor McGregor’s fight with Khabib Nurmagomedov looks like a massive success.

It didn’t do 3 million, or 3.5; it didn’t crush May/Mac. But UFC 229: Nurmagomedov vs. McGregor was a major milestone for the UFC. As Dave Meltzer reports, the promotion didn’t just set a new high water mark for pay-per-view buys following their October, 6th event, they buried their previous top score.

In an article for MMA Fighting, Meltzer estimates that the Vegas fight card pulled in somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.4 million PPV buys. That’s almost a full million higher than the previous all-time best for an MMA event – also set by Conor McGregor – back at UFC 202 where he hit 1.65 million* in a rematch against Nate Diaz.

Added to that success is the estimation that nearly half a million of UFC 229’s PPV purchases were done via UFC online streaming services. That’s a much, much higher number than past estimations, and the revenue split for streaming PPVs is much higher for the UFC than it is when dealing with cable & satellite providers.

While it’s still nowhere near the all time biggest boxing PPV events, the ability to generate even one card a year of this kind of magnitude has the potential to turn the worst year of PPV buys into a success. An okay 2017 that likely delivered somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 million buys – where the biggest successes were 8-900k* events headlined by Cormier vs. Jones 2 and Bisping vs. GSP – has likely already been eclipsed in what had been a dismal 2018.

This year saw rumors that the UFC had slipped under the 100k* buy mark for an event (UFC 224) for the first time since 2005. The previous reported most profitable PPVs this year were Miocic’s title fights against N’Gannou and Cormier, both of which were supposedly somewhere in the neighborhood of 350-400k*. This card alone swings a year that looked to be sitting somewhere around 2.25 million* buys total up toward 5 million, and that’s with 3 more PPVs still on the calendar.

Luke Rockhold recently said that Khabib – his teammate and training partner – would demand a massive pay increase to have a rematch with Conor McGregor. And, with success like this to back him up, he may just get it.

:P
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 2014-2015 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, 2015-2016 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, July 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Aug. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, May 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Sep. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Survivor Champion

Re: **McGregor vs Khabib Breaks Records**

Postby DeceptaCon » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:26 pm

Woodley vs GSP would shatter that bum record

Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
8th Professional Linker Victory
8th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby philphan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:14 pm

The UFC will like the way that tastes. So we either get kabib vs conor 2 or conor vs gsp next. Show me the money. :moneybag: :cash: :bill:
I'm so fucking high.

Linker MMA Video Vault
http://mmalinker.com/forum/linker-fight ... 34034.html
Fantasy fighters- Jon Jones, Amanda Nunes. Charles Oliveira, Thiago Santos

300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby bruins2012 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:35 pm

DeceptaCon wrote:Woodley vs GSP would shatter that bum record

When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012

Accolades: 2014-2015 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, 2015-2016 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, July 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Aug. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, May 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Sep. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Survivor Champion

Postby yoseph » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:37 pm

:lol: :lol: the only record shattered would be most boring fight in ufc history, which is pretty tough considering Lewis vs ngannou
yoseph
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Dec. 2015 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, March 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Survivor 2018

Postby bruins2012 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:55 pm

yoseph wrote:

:lol: :lol: the only record shattered would be most boring fight in ufc history, which is pretty tough considering Lewis vs ngannou

Spoiler:

bruins2012

Postby TheMadTitan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Had a great time in chat that night. Shit I was drunk af,

I knew the event would sell like a mother fucker. Good to hear.
☜(:♛ฺ;益;♛ฺ;)☞
mmafan559 wrote:Matt Brown Pride.

TheMadTitan
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Postby yoseph » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:33 pm

bruins2012 wrote:
yoseph wrote:

Spoiler:

yoseph
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Dec. 2015 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, March 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Survivor 2018

Postby PainDog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:02 am

While I dont want to see a rematch, I think a rematch would do 3 million.

Especially if they put Diaz vs. Tony on the same card.
Murtaza Talha Ali

Khabib Time

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
— Viktor E. Frankl
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Nov. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Dec. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby philphan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:47 am

TheMadTitan wrote:Had a great time in chat that night. Shit I was drunk af,

I knew the event would sell like a mother fucker. Good to hear.

:lol: I think a few of us were fucked up that night. It was such a great time. :pillred: :beer: :cig: :mrgreen:
I'm so fucking high.

Linker MMA Video Vault

philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby philphan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:48 am

PainDog wrote:While I dont want to see a rematch, I think a rematch would do 3 million.

Especially if they put Diaz vs. Tony on the same card.

I agree if Diaz ever actually gets into the ring again.
I'm so fucking high.

Linker MMA Video Vault

philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Return to MMA Discussion