Close
Login
Register

Official Discussion: Bellator 208: Fedor vs. Sonnen

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Who ya got?

Fedor
82%
Chael
18%

Total votes : 11

Re: Official Discussion: Bellator 208: Fedor vs. Sonnen

Postby DreadLobster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:36 am

Cornbread Mafia wrote:
DreadLobster wrote:Chael "The Turtle" Sonnen showing off his signature move.

Fucking quitter. Anyone who ever at any point bought into him being "tough" is a fucking dolt.

Its so sad that I have to admit I was worried he'd find a way to do something like he did to Shogun. But he's definitely spineless... win, lose or draw. He's got no heart, and I scarcely consider him a fighter.

I wouldn't say Chael has no heart. He is definitely someone who gives up after a little bit of adversity and looks for a way out without taking a whole lot of damage but it takes some balls to sign on the dotted line to fight in a HW GP when you are a MW who can't take the Mexican supplements that made you a good fighter anymore.

The fight last night was over 5 seconds in when Fedor hit him with the first punch and Sonnen dropped but he still tried for 4 and a half more minutes before he turtled up because he didn't want to have to start the next round standing up. I don't think there are too many MW's out there who would sign up to fight Rampage and Fedor even if they are both over the hill now so I respect Chael for that and I like listening to his podcast every so often because it reminds me of old school pro wrestling when I was just a growing boy.

It COULD have been ballsy to fight in the HW tournament except for the fact that aside from Mir and Meathead, its basically a LHW tournament where everyone decided not to cut weight.

Rampage, Bader, Chael, King Mo, have all fought at 205, Hell, even Nelson could've probably made 205. Fedor could've cut to MW just like Chael. I think they weighed in less than 10 lbs apart if I'm not mistaken.

I really shouldn't hate on him so much. I honestly don't blame him. If I were a mid-tier fighter who was good enough at self promotion to get fights that were way out of my league, I'd do the same. He's just clearly in it for the paycheck. I'm more disgusted by the people who buy into the act.
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby robdogj » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:45 am

TheMadTitan wrote:My prediction is that Sonnen will turtle-shell within 45 seconds of the 1st rd.

damn you were pretty close with this prediction - makes me think the fight was fixed :-( :shock:

in the end, Fedor shows that he can be merciful as well
Last edited by robdogj on Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Invincibility lies in the defense; the possibility of victory in the Attack.” - Sun Tzu
robdogj
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Cornbread Mafia » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:48 am

DreadLobster wrote:
Cornbread Mafia wrote:
DreadLobster wrote:Chael "The Turtle" Sonnen showing off his signature move.

Fucking quitter. Anyone who ever at any point bought into him being "tough" is a fucking dolt.

Its so sad that I have to admit I was worried he'd find a way to do something like he did to Shogun. But he's definitely spineless... win, lose or draw. He's got no heart, and I scarcely consider him a fighter.

I wouldn't say Chael has no heart. He is definitely someone who gives up after a little bit of adversity and looks for a way out without taking a whole lot of damage but it takes some balls to sign on the dotted line to fight in a HW GP when you are a MW who can't take the Mexican supplements that made you a good fighter anymore.

The fight last night was over 5 seconds in when Fedor hit him with the first punch and Sonnen dropped but he still tried for 4 and a half more minutes before he turtled up because he didn't want to have to start the next round standing up. I don't think there are too many MW's out there who would sign up to fight Rampage and Fedor even if they are both over the hill now so I respect Chael for that and I like listening to his podcast every so often because it reminds me of old school pro wrestling when I was just a growing boy.

It COULD have been ballsy to fight in the HW tournament except for the fact that aside from Mir and Meathead, its basically a LHW tournament where everyone decided not to cut weight.

Rampage, Bader, Chael, King Mo, have all fought at 205, Hell, even Nelson could've probably made 205. Fedor could've cut to MW just like Chael. I think they weighed in less than 10 lbs apart if I'm not mistaken.

I really shouldn't hate on him so much. I honestly don't blame him. If I were a mid-tier fighter who was good enough at self promotion to get fights that were way out of my league, I'd do the same. He's just clearly in it for the paycheck. I'm more disgusted by the people who buy into the act.

Valid point. Only thing I disagree with is at this point in his career fat Rampage is more of a HW than anyone else in the tournament.
Getting stoned everyday like Jesus did
Cornbread Mafia
Linker's Pharmacist

Accolades: Former US Champ

Postby DreadLobster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:51 am

:lol:

Fatpage might be super HW in a year or two at this rate
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby KingOfPancrase » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Bellator loves them some early stoppages. Kongo and Fedor stoppages were ridiculously early. Sonnen can't take more punches to the forearms until the end of the round? Bullshit I wanted round 2.
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Postby blackmetalcarson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:36 pm

By the way, did anyone else find it hilarious how Fedor basically tossed Chael around like he was an annoying little brother? I found the shit hilarious, myself.
blackmetalcarson
Linker's Resident Asshole

Postby dipset52 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:00 pm

blackmetalcarson wrote:By the way, did anyone else find it hilarious how Fedor basically tossed Chael around like he was an annoying little brother? I found the shit hilarious, myself.

Lol dude. 8 diffrent times is the exact number chael was on his back. Lol got dropped, tossed around, reversed...... totally dominated. Shit was super funny I was cracking up.
209 Stockton

dipset52
Skrap Pack Member

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Aug 2018, Oct 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Mar 2018, May 2018, June 2019
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2018

Postby blackmetalcarson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:05 pm

dipset52 wrote:
blackmetalcarson wrote:By the way, did anyone else find it hilarious how Fedor basically tossed Chael around like he was an annoying little brother? I found the shit hilarious, myself.

Lol dude. 8 diffrent times is the exact number chael was on his back. Lol got dropped, tossed around, reversed...... totally dominated. Shit was super funny I was cracking up.

I mean, in typical little brother fashion, he did manage to get one or two advantageous positions, but ultimately it didn't matter. Fedor literally tossed Chael around like he was a fucking lightweight. That has to be demoralizing at least a little when you consider that Chael actually has a decent wrestling background and Fedor made it matter fuck all.
blackmetalcarson
Linker's Resident Asshole

Postby DeceptaCon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:14 pm

kezzaman wrote:Image

You guys love Fedor so much you are blind to the fact that Chael clearly threw the fight

I will suspend my disbelief only when it comes to Fedor, Penn and the Diaz bros. I thought it was suspect how Chael rolled off his back but as pointed out before Chael is known for doing a lot of dumb shit like getting choked out in a lot of big fights he was winning (WEC days as well), throwing spinning shit and beating Shogun.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Fantasy C-League Champion: Feb/Sep 2016, Apr 2018
Survivor

Postby PBells » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:16 pm

The thing that stood out to me in Fedor's last 2 fights is his left hook. Frank and Chael obviously worked on avoiding the big overhand right but both were caught with the follow-up left hook. :mrgreen:

Here's another video demonstrating what Chael tried to do when he was on the back:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play
PBells
Pick-Em Champion
Pick-Em Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019

Postby DeceptaCon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:26 pm

PBells wrote:The thing that stood out to me in Fedor's last 2 fights is his left hook. Frank and Chael obviously worked on avoiding the big overhand right but both were caught with the follow-up left hook. :mrgreen:

Here's another video demonstrating what Chael tried to do when he was on the back:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

The punch Chael took from Fedor was all the proof I needed :lol: that was a great vintage Fedor exchange.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DeceptaCon
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Survivor

Postby DreadLobster » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:38 pm

Anyone who actually thinks chael threw the fight must not be very familiar with the man’s work.

That was vintage Chael Sonnen.

He consistently looks so stupid that people assume there’s shenanigans. Maybe they’re on to something. But it’s not out of the ordinary.
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby philphan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:37 pm

I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
http://mmalinker.com/forum/linker-fight ... 34034.html
Fantasy fighters- Julia Budd, Ismail Narudiev, Beneil Dariush, Leon Edwards

300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor

Postby DeceptaCon » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:40 pm

philphan wrote:Image

:lol: :lol:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DeceptaCon
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Survivor

Postby 1098765432 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 pm

dipset52 wrote:

Ya well Fedor is used to fighting much bigger and stronger guys and I can't imaging Chael ever being able to beat Fedor.Its just a terrible matchup I mean just look at Fedor vs Coleman and Chael was gonna do any better?
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: MMALinker Bum of the Year 2018

PreviousNext

Return to MMA Discussion