Close
Login
Register

Will Max ever fight again

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Will Max ever fight again

Postby philphan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:25 pm

Max Holloway says he isn't ‘confident’ he’ll fight again before the end of the year
https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/7/31/1 ... f-the-year

At UFC 226, Max Holloway was supposed to defend his featherweight title against the surging Brian Ortega. But just a few days beforehand, fate intervened and Holloway was pulled from the event for concussion-like symptoms. Now, less than a month later, Holloway says he is feeling better and ready to get back into the octagon.

“I’ve seen multiple doctors and experts but they haven’t been able to give us any answers about what happened,” Holloway told Ariel Helwani on Monday. “There’s one thing they know right now and that’s that I’m okay. I’m okay and I’m gonna fight again, that’s all we know. As of right now, I’m good.”

Recounting the series of events that led to his removal from the card, Holloway said that he was feeling fine in the lead up to the event but things “started going haywire” the weekend before UFC 226. He still doesn’t know exactly what caused the issue but one thing he is adamant about is that this wasn’t a weight-cutting issue or an issue of being knocked out in training.

“I’ve seen a lot of stuff they’ve been talking about in the media - weight cut, stroke, whatever - you saw me. I grew up in front of everyone’s eyes in the UFC,” Holloway said. “This wasn’t a weight cut. I’ve made weight 20 plus times. You guys have been there through the hard weight cuts, through the easy ones, through the hard training camps. This wasn’t it. This wasn’t a weight cut thing. It was weird. I don’t know how to explain it. . .

“There’s rumors going around that I got knocked out in training. I wish it was that so we could just write it down and move on from it but that’ didn’t happen. I didn’t suffer a concussion at all. At the end of the day, I wish the answer was that simple. It would be easier to move forward if we knew what happened.”

Following his Fighter of the Year winning run in 2017, Holloway has had a terrible 2018. In the spring, “Blessed” was forced to pull out of a scheduled title defense against Frankie Edgar at UFC 222 due to a leg injury. Then, Holloway was given the chance to win the vacant lightweight title as a short-notice replacement for Tony Ferguson against Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223, but was removed from the card when his weight cut proved too severe for the New York Athletic Commission to sanction it. Now, Holloway has been removed from three fights in the span of six months. But, when his medical suspension is up, Holloway says he’s hoping to turn the year around and end on a high note.

“They put me on medical suspension for 30 days and we’re taking it slow,” Holloway said. “They still didn’t figure out what was wrong but everything is coming back good. They’re just being cautious with me right now. I think after this 30 day period, we should get back to business, hopefully before the end of the year. . .

“It’s a tough one, having that year last year and then having this year this year, but this year is not over. I’m very confident that I’ll be back in there before the end of the year. Don’t count the kid out yet. The year’s not done, the story’s not written. We’ve got a lot more to write down and we’re just getting started. People keep forgetting, people keep questioning but we’re still in Blessed Era.”
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
http://mmalinker.com/forum/linker-fight ... 34034.html
Fantasy fighters-Logan Storley, Bobby Moffett, Ty-wan Claxton, Montel Jackson
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Re: Will Max ever fight again

Postby SpeakEasy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:52 pm

Phil I love yea but come on?
We're gonna see Chuck Cant eat soup Lidell, fight again guys still shaking from his previous concussions.
Holloway fights again and I hope hes the same fighter.
I personally believe the mma community has done something detrimental in building this foundation of training mma fighters have today.
Max should be heading to his glory days not his long term recovery days.
"A lion is called a king of beasts,
obviously for a reason."
SpeakEasy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Accolades: Oct. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby philphan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 am

SpeakEasy wrote:Phil I love yea but come on?
We're gonna see Chuck Cant eat soup Lidell, fight again guys still shaking from his previous concussions.
Holloway fights again and I hope hes the same fighter.
I personally believe the mma community has done something detrimental in building this foundation of training mma fighters have today.
Max should be heading to his glory days not his long term recovery days.

I really hope he does get back to fighting buddy. I really wanted to see him fight Kabib and his fight with Taco was the one I was the most excited for in that big card. It just really strikes me as strange when they really can't tell you whats wrong with a guy. If it had anything to do with weight cutting will we see Max at 170? Anyway, good luck to Max.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby jblaze » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:42 am

This happens to everyone in their late 20s. You actually have to eat somewhat decent and can't cut 25+pounds of weight well. Also you have to work for cardio.
jblaze
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby kezzaman » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 am

I dont think it was a concussion i read somewhere it was a mini stroke. its hard to recover from that shit.
Forrest back by popular demand [[email protected]]
kezzaman
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby DeceptaCon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 am

jblaze wrote:This happens to everyone in their late 20s. You actually have to eat somewhat decent and can't cut 25+pounds of weight well. Also you have to work for cardio.

I blame the weight cuts, sure the training sessions can be brutal but when you kill yourself at every weigh in that's counter productive. When is the MMA community going to wake up? Yeah you might win a belt and beat some smaller guys but in the long run you are killing any furure success. All the greats knew when to move up or retire or to take coke/peds to help with cutting. Its killing the sport and great matchups, Aldo/Pettis should have happened at LW, Max/Conor should have happened at LW already, Max/Khabib almost happened. You can't waste your prime years like Max, Till and Khabib almost dying trying to make weight.
Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
7th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby philphan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:52 am

DeceptaCon wrote:
jblaze wrote:This happens to everyone in their late 20s. You actually have to eat somewhat decent and can't cut 25+pounds of weight well. Also you have to work for cardio.

I blame the weight cuts, sure the training sessions can be brutal but when you kill yourself at every weigh in that's counter productive. When is the MMA community going to wake up? Yeah you might win a belt and beat some smaller guys but in the long run you are killing any furure success. All the greats knew when to move up or retire or to take coke/peds to help with cutting. Its killing the sport and great matchups, Aldo/Pettis should have happened at LW, Max/Conor should have happened at LW already, Max/Khabib almost happened. You can't waste your prime years like Max, Till and Khabib almost dying trying to make weight.

:star: :star: :star:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Postby bwawm » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:22 am

DeceptaCon wrote:

So. Much. Truth.
bwawm
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby PBells » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 am

DeceptaCon wrote:I blame the weight cuts, sure the training sessions can be brutal but when you kill yourself at every weigh in that's counter productive. When is the MMA community going to wake up? Yeah you might win a belt and beat some smaller guys but in the long run you are killing any furure success. All the greats knew when to move up or retire or to take coke/peds to help with cutting. Its killing the sport and great matchups, Aldo/Pettis should have happened at LW, Max/Conor should have happened at LW already, Max/Khabib almost happened. You can't waste your prime years like Max, Till and Khabib almost dying trying to make weight.

Rear Naked Choke > Dana's Angels

Except Ronda:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
PBells
The Jim Cornette of 'Linker

Accolades: June 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, June 2018 Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby DeceptaCon » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:05 pm

bwawm wrote:
DeceptaCon wrote:

So. Much. Truth.

Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby TheMadTitan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:33 pm

He's recovering from cold-feet. Could take years.
☜(:♛ฺ;益;♛ฺ;)☞
mmafan559 wrote:Matt Brown Pride.

TheMadTitan
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Return to MMA Discussion