Close
Login
Register

Sage abandoning the pansy mentality

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Sage abandoning the pansy mentality

Postby hawdrigoh » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:06 pm

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/7/13/17565684/after-constantly-under-eating-fighting-cloudy-at-155-sage-northcutt-beginning-welterweight-ufc-boise

If past results are any indication, it would seem that 155 pounds is a more beneficial weight class to Northcutt than welterweight. So why is “Super Sage” moving back up to 170 pounds for his clash against Zak Ottow this weekend at UFC Boise?

The answer is a simple one.

For the still-growing Northcutt, lightweight was never going to be a permanent home, and the chiseled 22-year-old knows that his time to make a 170-pound move was likely overdue.

“You know what, I started fighting in the UFC when I was 19 years old,” Northcutt told MMA Fighting ahead of UFC Boise. “Now I’m 22, so I’m growing taller, I’m getting bigger, my muscles are maturing, I’m putting on more muscle, I’m still a kid growing, so that’s part of it. Also, making weight at 155 is pretty tough for me. The last several pounds, my body kinda stops sweating, and I think I’m going to be much more myself and it’ll be much more fun and entertaining out there, me fighting at 170. So, I’m looking forward to doing that.

Outstanding. Hopefully more do the same.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
5th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Re: Sage abandoning the pansy mentality

Postby EvilGorilla69+1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:32 pm

I like Sage's attitude.. He is propably a bit chinnybut he is willing to stand and has a couple of tdowns in his arsenal. if he doens't get burnt or his brain doesn't get fucked up, I see him as a real contender by the age of 27
EvilGorilla69+1
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby deadzone » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Now all he needs to do is lose all that artificial muscle and gain a chin and a ground game. Might become a decent gatekeeper
deadzone
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby DeceptaCon » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:14 pm

deadzone wrote:Now all he needs to do is lose all that artificial muscle and gain a chin and a ground game. Might become a decent gatekeeper

He reminds me of a SNS Street Fighter character, he has all the flashy moves of Guile but still lacks the grit of Ken and Ryu. He only has 2 losses and they are both by submissions, once he learns to blend his style and use his more effective techniques he will be more of a threat. He should only work on his grappling, take-down defense and spinning fire back flip kick in this stage of his career.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
7th Professional Linker Victory

Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby jblaze » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 pm

deadzone wrote:Now all he needs to do is lose all that artificial muscle and gain a chin and a ground game. Might become a decent gatekeeper

He is a regular sized guy at 180 something pounds. If he is taking some shit it is making him ripped up and not bigger. Moving up in weight doesn't mean you are taking on tougher guys. It means you don't want to cut allot of weight. Anyway I expect him to do better at 170 this time around. Throwing less strikes and making them count more. Doing more veteran moves.
jblaze
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby hawdrigoh » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Sage is a beauty and has the right mentality now, he just wants to be like Mr. Cerrone. Hopefully he keeps improving. Sounds like the next one will be tough but hopefully he gets the W.

Super excited about Boise. There's a pretty good chance he's not human. The awkwardness is easily the best part.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Postby deadzone » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:02 pm

jblaze wrote:

He is a regular sized guy at 180 something pounds. If he is taking some shit it is making him ripped up and not bigger. Moving up in weight doesn't mean you are taking on tougher guys. It means you don't want to cut allot of weight. Anyway I expect him to do better at 170 this time around. Throwing less strikes and making them count more. Doing more veteran moves.

It's pretty obvious he's been taking shit for a while. He has a lot of show muscle which won't help him one bit.
deadzone
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby DeceptaCon » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:00 pm

hawdrigoh wrote:Sage is a beauty and has the right mentality now, he just wants to be like Mr. Cerrone. Hopefully he keeps improving. Sounds like the next one will be tough but hopefully he gets the W.

Super excited about Boise. There's a pretty good chance he's not human. The awkwardness is easily the best part.

:lol: :lol: I just watched it live he was trying to shake her hand after the interview before she was finished talking, but he made sure that he gave her a firm hand shake and looked her dead in the eyes.
Spoiler:

DeceptaCon

Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby 1098765432 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Sage has to many biceps to be a great mma fighter
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby PBells » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:46 pm

I think it's obvious at that point that weight-cutting is not good. You hear things like Michael Chiesa saying he thought he was dying, Darren Till going temporarily blind, Renan Barao passing out, Khabib Nurmagomedov getting hospitalized like 8 times, whatever the fuck's going on with Max Holloway.... something has to be done at some point, no?

Also this is part of the reason I've always liked heavyweight.
Rear Naked Choke > Dana's Angels

Except Ronda:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
PBells
Linker Fantasy MMA Champion
Linker Fantasy MMA Champion

Accolades: June 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, June 2018 Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby hawdrigoh » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:59 pm

PBells wrote:I think it's obvious at that point that weight-cutting is not good. You hear things like Michael Chiesa saying he thought he was dying, Darren Till going temporarily blind, Renan Barao passing out, Khabib Nurmagomedov getting hospitalized like 8 times, whatever the fuck's going on with Max Holloway.... something has to be done at some point, no?

You would think common sense would take over. If people don't smarten up or rules/restrictions don't change then it's best to just let natural selection take its course.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Postby hawdrigoh » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:47 am

Sage revolutionizing the game. He was undefeated at LW but was still wise enough to break through the pansy mentality and move up and train/compete as a WW. Tremendous.

It's an honor to witness what he's doing.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh

Postby JTuck34 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:31 am

The chinny fuck with a very impressive turnaround and KO victory.

He even was super polite as usual in his interview, urging everyone to "be careful with their words and be nice to one another"

Lol this fucking guy
7-3
JTuck34
Linker's resident psychoactive chemical expert
Linker's resident psychoactive chemical expert

Postby slevin » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:50 am

hawdrigoh wrote:
PBells wrote:I think it's obvious at that point that weight-cutting is not good. You hear things like Michael Chiesa saying he thought he was dying, Darren Till going temporarily blind, Renan Barao passing out, Khabib Nurmagomedov getting hospitalized like 8 times, whatever the fuck's going on with Max Holloway.... something has to be done at some point, no?

You would think common sense would take over. If people don't smarten up or rules/restrictions don't change then it's best to just let natural selection take its course.

I dont think it is as easy as you make it out to be. There are tons of fighters that can make the cut, and have physical advantages over their opponents. Just because we see guys like Whittaker and Gastelum find success in not cutting so much weight doesn't mean fighters should abandon the "pansy mentality."

I do think weight cutting should be dealt with, but there are so many fighters that can find success with it, and they aren't going to stop when they can have an advantage over their opponents.
slevin
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: 1st ever Draft Style Pick Em Champion
The Last Man Standing: Royal Rumble Champ
Former Lightweight Sig-Betting Champ
2014 MMALinker Grand Prix Winner
Survivor
Grand Prix Survivor Champion
June 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion
Dec 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion
Aug 2017 MMALinker Fantasy Fix GP Champion
May 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby DeceptaCon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:41 am

JTuck34 wrote:The chinny fuck with a very impressive turnaround and KO victory.

He even was super polite as usual in his interview, urging everyone to "be careful with their words and be nice to one another"

Lol this fucking guy

I think this was the turning point for Sage once he recovered we saw the real Sage unleash and it violently beautiful. I look for him to be more aggressive in his next fights, he's doesn't need to hold back anymore.
Spoiler:

DeceptaCon

Next

Return to MMA Discussion