Close
Login
Register

GSP no match for charging gorilla

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

GSP no match for charging gorilla

Postby philphan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:55 am

Two-weight UFC champion Georges St. Pierre no match for charging gorilla
https://www.mmamania.com/2018/6/13/1745 ... ch-gorilla

Former UFC welterweight and middleweight champion Georges St. Pierre has a lot of experience in scary situations, but none of his fight training prepared him for this: he was charged by a gorilla in the jungle. The former champion made no pretense of unnecessary toughness, adopting a submissive posture and ducking out of the way.

This video was taken in Africa seconds after an alpha gorilla charged me. I had to take a submissive posture and get out of his way. One of the most frightening and incredible experiences of my life - even with all the fight training in the world I wouldn’t have been a match!

In the background, the smaller gorillas continue casually playing and wrestling with each other. It’s evident from the video St. Pierre’s fear was justified- unlike the movie ‘“Tarzan”, there is no chance even a lifelong martial artist and athlete like GSP would have against a foe clearly out of his weight class.

St. Pierre has teased a return against a foe more his size, Russian lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov, who, incidentally, grew up wrestling bear cubs in the Caucasus mountains. The fight, if it comes to fruition, won’t solve the age-old question of whether a gorilla would beat a bear, but it might determine the best MMA wrestler in history.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
http://mmalinker.com/forum/linker-fight ... 34034.html
Fantasy fighters-Israel Adesanya, Adam Wieczorek, Davi Ramos, Karl Roberson, Jake Matthews,Kenan Song

300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Re: GSP no match for charging gorilla

Postby tsarlaider » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:28 am

Did he react like this?

or like this?

Moose all day

Mark Hunt "I deal with a wrestler like I deal with every other fighter. I punch them in the mouth."
tsarlaider
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Jan. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Oct. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, June 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Jan. & Feb. & Mar. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Aug. 2018 MMALinker B-League Champion

Postby PainDog » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:17 am

As far as bears fighting gorillas, it is really going to depend on the species of bear.

The largest wild gorilla ever documented weighed around 600 pounds, the largest wild bear (a polar bear) documented weighed around 2,209 pounds....

Silverback gorillas typically weigh somewhere between 400-450 pounds with there being some average size differences depending on the subspecies of gorilla.

The American black bear is somewhat comparable in size, though they can have higher body weight, of over 500 pounds, after bulking up in the fall.

The gorilla is going to have the higher bite force between the two.

He football shaped head of a gorilla is muscle. Gorillas have enormous sagittal crests where the giant temporalis muscles connect

https://www.skullsunlimited.com/product ... ull-bc-124

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/213/11/1844

The American black bear bite force while not being as powerful as the gorillas are still going to be formidable.

black bear skull notice the regions of the skull where the muscles attatch are smaller than the gorilla

The bears jaws are going to have a larger area than the gorillas due to its jaws forming a muzzle. This would allow the bear bites to damage a larger area of the gorilla than gorillas flatter jaws could on the bear.

Both animals have great physical strength in their limbs. The gorilla is more explosive and will have longer arms. The bear has claws but they are more for digging than inflicting damage.

explosive

Just based on physical attributes I would go with the gorilla....
Murtaza Talha Ali

Khabib Time

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
— Viktor E. Frankl
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Nov. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Dec. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby psette » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:03 pm

PainDog wrote:As far as bears fighting gorillas, it is really going to depend on the species of bear.

The largest wild gorilla ever documented weighed around 600 pounds, the largest wild bear (a polar bear) documented weighed around 2,209 pounds....

Silverback gorillas typically weigh somewhere between 400-450 pounds with there being some average size differences depending on the subspecies of gorilla.

The American black bear is somewhat comparable in size, though they can have higher body weight, of over 500 pounds, after bulking up in the fall.

He football shaped head of a gorilla is muscle. Gorillas have enormous sagittal crests where the giant temporalis muscles connect

The American black bear bite force while not being as powerful as the gorillas are still going to be formidable.

black bear skull notice the regions of the skull where the muscles attatch are smaller than the gorilla

The bears jaws are going to have a larger area than the gorillas due to its jaws forming a muzzle. This would allow the bear bites to damage a larger area of the gorilla than gorillas flatter jaws could on the bear.

Both animals have great physical strength in their limbs. The gorilla is more explosive and will have longer arms. The bear has claws but they are more for digging than inflicting damage.

explosive

It's clear you've thought about this a lot, and suspect you've had this whole post saved on your computer, just waiting for an opportunity to use it.

I'm glad you did. We're all a little wiser now.
psette
White Belt
White Belt

Postby DeceptaCon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm

He finally met an opponent he couldn't hump.
Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
8th Professional Linker Victory
8th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby philphan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:27 pm

psette wrote:
PainDog wrote:As far as bears fighting gorillas, it is really going to depend on the species of bear.

explosive

I'm glad you did. We're all a little wiser now.

Hell yeah, thanks Paindog. I have read that about 10 times now. Interesting shit man. I love it when you drop knowledge on us. :star: :tup:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
Fantasy fighters-Israel Adesanya, Adam Wieczorek, Davi Ramos, Karl Roberson, Jake Matthews,Kenan Song

philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby 1098765432 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:52 pm

Bear
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby PainDog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:31 am

Thank you, gentlemen, for the feedback.

I had not really been thinking about a fight between a bear and a gorilla tough I am sure it is something I have thought about before. I very interested in the biological sciences, and powerful animals have always been particularly intriguing whether they are living animals like a gorilla or a bear or an extinct one like a dinosaur or an Andrewsarchus.

There is a website where people debate animal battles, every sort of match up you could think of, from dinosaurs vs. modern animals to battles between different extinct animals from different time periods like the Smilodon vs. Deinonychus thread below.

http://carnivoraforum.com/topic/10331664/1/

After writing my post yesterday I decided to check out the carnivora forum to see if the black bear vs. gorilla match up had been discussed…and it had with the majority of the votes going towards the black bear.

However, one of the posters kind of swayed some of the others by claiming that the bite force of the gorilla was exaggerated and should be lower than the black bear…maybe even half of the bears bite force.

Now this is not at all what is in line with what has been published on science websites, where the gorilla is usually ranked among the top animals in terms of bite force, and it doesn’t really mesh with common sense in my opinion.

The website below lists the gorilla’s bite force at around 1300psi, which is quite in line with most estimates I have seen.
https://listverse.com/2012/11/05/top-10 ... stroy-you/

As I mentioned in the first post gorillas have enormous jaw muscles. Now with that said not everything that goes into bite force can be explained by looking at one or two muscles, the biomechanics can be quite complicated.

I am not aware of any brutal attacks carried out by gorillas on people, however there have been several by chimpanzees. Chimpanzees which are around ¼ the size of a gorilla have easily bit through the human skulls, bit through the carpal bones in human hands, and have demonstrated the strength to smash through car windshields.

The jaw muscles of a gorilla are not 4x the volume of the jaw muscles of a chimp, rather they would be in excess of ten times the volume of a chimps.

note the size difference in the sagittal crest of the gorilla and chimpanzee

Additionally, gorillas routinely bite through very fibrous plant material. Something that is often ignored is the bite for of herbivores which are likely more powerful than most carnivores. When vegans say humans don’t have the sharp teeth or jaws to eat unprocessed meat…we also don’t have the jaws or teeth to eat unprocessed vegetable matter (note that even the fruit we eat have been selectively bred for thousands of years to make them as human friendly as they are). I would say with confidence that the higher end bite force estimates of the gorilla are going to be more accurate than the lower estimates.

When we consider this fight we also should consider fight IQ. Neither animal is going to do very well in this category.

All of these great imaginary battles between two extraordinarily powerful animals like a triceratops and a T. rex are unlikely to have happened, and match-ups between existing animals even if they live in the same geographical area are unlikely to happen.

Nature plays for keeps and even minor injuries could prove fatal in the wild. A broken bone could mean a debilitating injury that would prevent the animal from hunting and ultimately starving to death, a laceration could lead to infection and ultimately death. Animals generally play it safe and predators tend to go for the weak, old, and sick.

Also, black bears are not the apex predators in their habitat, since their range historically overlapped with grizzly bears. Grizzly bears have even been known to eat black bears.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... y-1354935/

What that means is black bears would be much less likely to confront a challenge than an animal that is an apex predator like a grizzly bear or even a tiger. When you aren’t at the top of the food chain fleeing is always going to be an option.

Gorillas would also be more show than bite. There would be a lot of posturing, tearing down small tress and chest beating, but likely very little actual attacking.

So if they did meet in the wild both would likely make a lot of noise but then go their separate ways.

We would have to somehow train them to fight to see how well they would really match up with each other, which should make the fight more about the physical attributes each animal brings to the table.

When considering the physical attributes, like I said in the first post I would have to give it to the gorilla. If the gorilla was able to appropriately use in physical abilities could get behind the bear, use its long arms and fingers to actually be able to grip and hold on to the bear, and then use its powerful jaws to inflict damage.

Bears usually use their arms to set up their jaws when fighting. Again, if the gorilla understood how to use its physical attributes, it would have a greater range of flexibility in its shoulders than the bear.

grizzlies fighting, the grizzly is the size of a gorilla and a black bear combined

I don’t think an actual gorilla fight has been caught on camera…just some brief halfhearted conflicts in zoos.

If the gorilla didn’t use its attributes well and just charged into the bear, I could see the bear winning. The bear would have the height advantage and has the longer jaws so would be easier to deliver bites. Then again to get to the vital areas of the gorilla could be difficult since its head, neck, and shoulders are so heavily muscled.

Either way it’s something that isn’t going to happen, but is interesting to think about.
Murtaza Talha Ali

Khabib Time

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms – to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.”
— Viktor E. Frankl
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Nov. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Dec. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby bruins2012 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:32 am

I believe GSP is just being modest. From most eye-witness accounts, once the gorilla caught a glimpse of GSP and recognized him as the current MW, WW, and future LW Champion of the world, the gorilla stopped dead in his tracks and slowly backed away and was cautious not to make any sudden movements that would have triggered the GOATs instinct to attack with ruthless aggression any living being that showed fear or weakness in his presence.

Pillar Bruins2012 tells no lies. :tup:

:P
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012
Reigning Survivor Champ
Reigning Survivor Champ

Accolades: 2014-2015 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, 2015-2016 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, July 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Aug. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, May 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Sep. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Survivor Champion

Postby 1098765432 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:03 am

a grizzly would kill any gorilla that ever lived if you locked them in a cage and they had to go at it.Grizzlys kill for a living and are enormously more powerful.No contest.Black bear is more evenly matched and a polar bear just like a grizzly would win.
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby defenceman1845 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Spoiler:
the bear wins

Spoiler:
Khabib wins

Spoiler:
Fedor is the true Best Ever Against Realanimals
defenceman1845
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby Oldtoby420 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:25 am

Grizzly / Kodiak / Polar Bear > Silverback Gorilla

Would take that bet all day with top tier of each animal going at it. One is one of the largest apex predators on earth that hunts & kills it's prey with multiple killing tools & no natural predators the other is well tbh don't need to go on to bother explaining to know which of the two would win. Ones a predator & well ones just not.

Also there's bigger Hybrid Grizzly / Polar Bears out there then any of those species that would make a Silver Back Gorrilla it's bitch.
"Heh who needs lessons you already bought us black belts!"
-Gumball , The Amazing World of Gumball
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby PainDog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:12 pm

gorilla > without much question....sun bear, sloth bear, spectacled bear, panda...the following are more competitive match ups American black bear, Asiatic black bear

and I agree a gorilla is no match for a larger brown bear or polar bear...but gorillas would still be > than most bear species....
Murtaza Talha Ali

Khabib Time

— Viktor E. Frankl
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby philphan » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault

philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Postby hawdrigoh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:26 pm

"I had to take a submissive posture"

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
6th Professional Linker Victory
6th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Next

Return to MMA Discussion