Close
Login
Register

Dana White: We’re Moving Weigh-ins back to 4

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Dana White: We’re Moving Weigh-ins back to 4

Postby philphan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Prior to 2016, UFC weigh-ins took place in the late afternoon the day before an event. At 4 p.m., the fighters would step on the scale to have their weights officially logged before a crowd of spectators. For the last two years, the official weigh-ins have taken place in the morning during a two-hour time slot (generally at about 9 a.m. local time) to allow fighters several more hours to rehydrate after sweating out water weight. Following UFC 225 on Saturday at the United Center in Chicago, UFC president Dana White announced that the weigh-ins would move back to the late afternoon despite several fighters competing on the fight card stating that they prefer to weigh-in during the morning.

UFC 225: Yoel Romero filing lawsuit against Illinois athletic commission for trying to save his life
UFC middleweight contender, Yoel Romero, missed weight for his UFC 225 pay-per-view (PPV) title fight last weekend in Chicago, which in turn cost him the chance to compete for Robert Whittaker’s 185-pound strap. Shortly after his scale fail, the Illinois Athletic Commission gave “Soldier of God” two extra hours to make his mark. Coming in at 186, the Cuban slugger needed to shed an additional pound to make his championship bout official. Then, inexplicably, he was cut off halfway through the process. “The whole plan was to use those two hours,” agent Abe Kawa told MMA Fighting. “So everything we did from that point going forward in the weight cut was to use those extra two hours slotted to us.” ...

I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
http://mmalinker.com/forum/linker-fight ... 34034.html
Fantasy fighters- Darren Till, Alexey Kunchenko, Patricky Freire, Magomed Ankalaev,Rafael Lovato
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Re: Dana White: We’re Moving Weigh-ins back to 4

Postby AR15 guy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 pm

You shouldn’t almost die trying to make weight.
AR15 guy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby PBells » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 pm

Always thought the ceremonial weigh-ins were dumb.
Rear Naked Choke > Dana's Angels

Except Ronda:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
PBells

Accolades: June 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, June 2018 Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby DeceptaCon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am

The only fix is missing weight should count as loss.
Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
7th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby kezzaman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:17 am

missing weight should get you a point loss from the fight, maybe 2 if its a 5 rounder
Forrest back by popular demand [[email protected]]
kezzaman
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby Mr Meow » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 am

kezzaman wrote:missing weight should get you a point loss from the fight, maybe 2 if its a 5 rounder

I know it has its flaws, but I like the ROAD FC system for this.

If you miss by a pound or under, you lose a point in the first round.

If you miss by 2 pounds, you lose a point in the first and second round both, if you miss by 3 pounds, you lose a point in each of the first 3 rounds, etc etc.

When Mayhem Miller missed by 26 pounds for example he would lose a point per round in 8 and a half straight fights. Less if they were title fights. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Officially 7-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
2nd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Nov. 2015, Dec. 2015, Jan. 2016, April 2016, May 2016, Nov. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Feb. 2018 MMALinker B-League Champion, 2016 Highest Overall MMALinker Fantasy Score, Survivor

Postby kezzaman » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:05 pm

Mr Meow wrote:
kezzaman wrote:missing weight should get you a point loss from the fight, maybe 2 if its a 5 rounder

If you miss by 2 pounds, you lose a point in the first and second round both, if you miss by 3 pounds, you lose a point in each of the first 3 rounds, etc etc.

When Mayhem Miller missed by 26 pounds for example he would lose a point per round in 8 and a half straight fights. Less if they were title fights. :lol: :lol: :lol:

mayhem is missing more than weight
Forrest back by popular demand [[email protected]]
kezzaman
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby Mr Meow » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:56 pm

kezzaman wrote:
Mr Meow wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said mr sir sir. :tup: Thanks for not shouting at me!
Officially 7-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow

Accolades: Nov. 2015, Dec. 2015, Jan. 2016, April 2016, May 2016, Nov. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Feb. 2018 MMALinker B-League Champion, 2016 Highest Overall MMALinker Fantasy Score, Survivor

Postby philphan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Mr Meow wrote:
kezzaman wrote:
Mr Meow wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well said mr sir sir. :tup: Thanks for not shouting at me!

:lol: They could add it on to his jail sentence. :mrgreen:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
Fantasy fighters- Darren Till, Alexey Kunchenko, Patricky Freire, Magomed Ankalaev,Rafael Lovato
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby philphan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:16 pm

UFC rookie drops 45 pounds in two weeks, somehow lives to tell about it
People die from cutting weight.

The fact that it hasn’t happened in Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) does not mean it’s any safer for those folks competing inside the Octagon. No matter how skilled the athlete, no matter how much experience a fighter has making his/her mark, the human body has its limitations.

And extreme weight cutting is akin to Russian roulette.

That didn’t stop UFC rookie Craig White from dropping 45 pounds in two weeks, a necessary evil if he was to fight Neil Magny on short notice and earn the opportunity of a lifetime at UFC Liverpool last month across the pond.

Which as he explained to MMA Fighting, required breaking a promise he made to himself back in 2014.

“For the John Redmond fight, I did 17 kilos (37-pounds) in nine days, it was horrendous. I got rid of eight kilos in water that time. I had never used salt baths before that. I genuinely felt like I was going to die when I was walking to the scales that time. Of course, I said I’d never do it again. Then, the phone rings about two weeks before UFC Liverpool and Graham Boylan is asking me if I’m available to fight Neil Magny. In that moment, the Redmond cut was the first thing that crossed my mind. I was doing two 15-minute baths for every hour. I started at eight at night and I didn’t go asleep until two in the morning. Then I got up at five in the morning and I did another four baths. Normally I can do 82 kilos (180-pounds) to 77 kilos (170-pounds) in five or six baths, but it took me 14 [baths] in total to hit weight in Liverpool.”

I know one ex-champion who can relate.

White weighed 216 pounds when he got the call for UFC Liverpool and managed to tip the scale at 171 for the official weigh ins (video). As you might imagine, “Thundercat” was dejected to learn that headliner Darren Till came in heavy, despite having a full camp.

And here you thought this was bad.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Postby philphan » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:19 pm

CSAC overhauls weight cutting procedures, bans fighter dehydration

California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) promised it was going to employ measures to combat extreme weight cutting when it gathered for a special summit last December in Los Angeles. The end goal is to prevent an athlete from dying as a result of dehydration.

It happens.

To that end, CSAC handed down emergency regulations on Tuesday (Feb. 2, 2016), which could take effect as soon as March 1. In addition to a ban on intravenous re-hydration, already implemented by United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), the commission will also disallow extreme weight cuts.

MMA Fighting explains how the "trial basis" will unfold:

Under the package, CSAC will now have the ability to collect urine samples from fighters for specific gravity tests, which detect proper hydration. If a fighter cannot pass that test, he or she will be given two to three hours to properly hydrate. If he or she still cannot pass the specific gravity test, the bout will be off. If severe dehydration is verified by a physician, CSAC now has the ability to not approve a fighter to compete in that weight class in the future.

Extreme weight cuts have been linked to concussions, traumatic brain injury, susceptibility to knockouts, and poor performance, according to the report.

ONE Championship eliminated weight cuts for its mixed martial arts (MMA) events late last year, following the death of flyweight prospect Yang Jian Bing (more on that here). It will be interesting to see what happens if and when Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) returns to California.

Especially considering its biggest star hails from "The Golden State" -- and also cuts a significant amount of weight.
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Postby hawdrigoh » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:42 am

If you miss weight you should be forced to eat the scale while Ariel Helwani quietly whispers condescending remarks into his 1980's microphone.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
6th Professional Linker Victory
6th Professional Linker Victory

Postby DeceptaCon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 am

Ariel Helwani interviewing every fighter.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon

Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby philphan » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:16 am

hawdrigoh wrote:If you miss weight you should be forced to eat the scale while Ariel Helwani quietly whispers condescending remarks into his 1980's microphone.

:lol: :lol: He would love that.

I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Return to MMA Discussion