Close
Login
Register

Anthony Bourdain: BJJ Ambassador; amazing person dead

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Anthony Bourdain: BJJ Ambassador; amazing person dead

Postby PainDog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:08 am

https://www.flograppling.com/articles/5 ... ambassador

I am not interested in celebrities but I really enjoyed almost every program Bourdain was a part of.

I had just watched his parts unknown episode in Armenia
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B0st2H8cOXw

Bourdain always seemed like someone with a natural charisma blessed with an amazing life.

Even on one of his shows, I cant remember where he was but I remember a woman saying "he has a great life".

Personally I find his apparent suicide this morning a bit shocking.....and it really brings me down.

Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

“Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.”
Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Nov. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Dec. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Re: Anthony Bourdain: BJJ Ambassador; amazing person dead

Postby DeceptaCon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 am

Its hard to believe all of these celebrities are committing suicide. I quit counting after Cornell and Chester.
Spoiler:
Gfycat Video - Click to Play

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
7th Professional Linker Victory
7th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Feb. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby PainDog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:12 am

DeceptaCon wrote:Its hard to believe all of these celebrities are committing suicide. I quit counting after Cornell and Chester.

All three apparently hung themselves
Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

“Do not let your difficulties fill you with anxiety, after all it is only in the darkest nights that stars shine more brightly.”
Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Nov. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Dec. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby bruins2012 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:12 am

Fuck!!!,

I loved this guys shows. God damn.

:butthurt:
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012
9th Professional Linker Victory
9th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 2014-2015 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, 2015-2016 MMALinker Fantasy Hockey Champion, July 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Aug. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, May 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Sep. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Apr. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion

Postby PainDog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:31 am

bruins2012 wrote:Fuck!!!,

I loved this guys shows. God damn.

:butthurt:

yeah man

Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby philphan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:15 am

What a bummer man. :butthurt:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
http://mmalinker.com/forum/linker-fight ... 34034.html
Fantasy fighters-Logan Storley, Bobby Moffett, Ty-wan Claxton, Montel Jackson
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: March 2017 & April 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-Leauge Champion, October 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Linker's first Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)

Postby PainDog » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby tsarlaider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:54 pm

I really enjoy travel/cullinary shows and i particurarly liked everything he did. Even the more "serious" Parts Unknown. Bourdain seemed Like a guy that had figured it out. Living a good interesting life. And yet ...
You never know what burden a person carries in his mind

Moose all day

Mark Hunt "I deal with a wrestler like I deal with every other fighter. I punch them in the mouth."
tsarlaider
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Jan. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Oct. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, Jan. 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, June 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, Jan. & Feb. & Mar. 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby jblaze » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Seems suspicious
jblaze
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby TheMadTitan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:07 am

I'm legit upset. Loved him.
☜(:♛ฺ;益;♛ฺ;)☞
mmafan559 wrote:Matt Brown Pride.

TheMadTitan
8th Degree Black Belt
8th Degree Black Belt

Postby JTuck34 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:22 pm

I don't know who the fuck that is
7-3
JTuck34
Linker's resident psychoactive chemical expert
Linker's resident psychoactive chemical expert

Postby SpeakEasy » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:34 pm

jblaze wrote:Seems suspicious

How so? :|

It's really tough and something that is completely swept under the rug but there is and has been for several years now an epidemic amongst men.
We commit suicide at upwards of 70-80% more often than women but yet we have zero awareness for it.
We waste millions on pointless cyber bullying campaigns and we have #metoo and every type of service imaginable available for abused or broken women.
Yet there is nothing for men, specific to men, no research, no funding and no support that is geared specifically to battling the suicide epidemic men are faced with.
I know this for a fact as I suffered from a mentally abusive and emotionally abusive wife and friend that drove me to attempt suicide and after a day in the hospital I was dumped out on the street with meds in hand and nothing else.
Trying to find any sort of support or help was very hard and I try to be very open and honest about my situation but at least 95% of the population still has a very negative stigma about mental illness.
I actually leaned on Meow, he helped me quite a bit just by listening and shooting the shit but unfortunately for a lot of people suffering from depression and experiencing suicidal tendencies it is increasingly difficult to reach out to anyone for anything.
Mainly because we're afraid of how we'll be judged or treated, I have two kids and work hard but as soon as I tell people I have depression and anxiety I can feel their demeanor shift and the tone change.
Even chatting with Meow, never met the guy in person, it still took effort and I mulled over talking to anyone for weeks and if I didn't have my kids I may not have taken that step.
From Robin Williams to Bourdain a really common sentiment is "he was so happy" or "he really seemed like the last person" and I think for those of us who have such a hard time finding the light in the darkness of our mind we want nothing more than to be a light in somebody else's darkness.
It's so sad to see great men, influential and talented like Bourdain and Cornell, take their lives and I used to wholeheartedly believed those who committed suicide were cowards but after having stood in the same spot I cannot describe the courage, strength and fortitude it takes to finally commit that last act.
We should really ask ourselves what it would take to drive us to that point, what could happen in our world that could make no longer being a part of it the best choice for us and what we can do to give the people around us the kind of love and support they need to actually live their lives not just stay alive.
RIP to an exciting and interesting man, he left behind a great legacy and I look forward to catching up on his final works.
"A lion is called a king of beasts,
obviously for a reason."
SpeakEasy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Accolades: Oct. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion

Postby slevin » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:00 pm

SpeakEasy wrote:

It's really tough and something that is completely swept under the rug but there is and has been for several years now an epidemic amongst men.
We commit suicide at upwards of 70-80% more often than women but yet we have zero awareness for it.
We waste millions on pointless cyber bullying campaigns and we have #metoo and every type of service imaginable available for abused or broken women.
Yet there is nothing for men, specific to men, no research, no funding and no support that is geared specifically to battling the suicide epidemic men are faced with.
I know this for a fact as I suffered from a mentally abusive and emotionally abusive wife and friend that drove me to attempt suicide and after a day in the hospital I was dumped out on the street with meds in hand and nothing else.
Trying to find any sort of support or help was very hard and I try to be very open and honest about my situation but at least 95% of the population still has a very negative stigma about mental illness.
I actually leaned on Meow, he helped me quite a bit just by listening and shooting the shit but unfortunately for a lot of people suffering from depression and experiencing suicidal tendencies it is increasingly difficult to reach out to anyone for anything.
Mainly because we're afraid of how we'll be judged or treated, I have two kids and work hard but as soon as I tell people I have depression and anxiety I can feel their demeanor shift and the tone change.
Even chatting with Meow, never met the guy in person, it still took effort and I mulled over talking to anyone for weeks and if I didn't have my kids I may not have taken that step.
From Robin Williams to Bourdain a really common sentiment is "he was so happy" or "he really seemed like the last person" and I think for those of us who have such a hard time finding the light in the darkness of our mind we want nothing more than to be a light in somebody else's darkness.
It's so sad to see great men, influential and talented like Bourdain and Cornell, take their lives and I used to wholeheartedly believed those who committed suicide were cowards but after having stood in the same spot I cannot describe the courage, strength and fortitude it takes to finally commit that last act.
We should really ask ourselves what it would take to drive us to that point, what could happen in our world that could make no longer being a part of it the best choice for us and what we can do to give the people around us the kind of love and support they need to actually live their lives not just stay alive.
RIP to an exciting and interesting man, he left behind a great legacy and I look forward to catching up on his final works.

You should try meditation, if you get the headspace app, it gives you 10 free meditation sessions. Also get the subscription, they have packs for managing anxiety, and depression. Maybe it can help you with quieter, calmer, and more peaceful mind.
slevin
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: 1st ever Draft Style Pick Em Champion
The Last Man Standing: Royal Rumble Champ
Former Lightweight Sig-Betting Champ
2014 MMALinker Grand Prix Winner
Survivor
Grand Prix Survivor Champion
June 2017 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion
Dec 2017 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion
Aug 2017 MMALinker Fantasy Fix GP Champion
May 2018 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby PainDog » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:20 pm

SpeakEasy wrote:

I appreciate the honesty and vulnerability...I've had issues with depression at different points in my life.

Probably the last time I was quite down, people on this site helped me out as well...also just as in your case, by being there as someone to open up too....BlackSheep was probably the person I opened up to the most.

I honestly think e-friends, as stupid of a term as it might sound, are the best people to open up too. The relationship is still a bit anonymous so there is a freedom of being able to truly let your guard down and be transparent. The need to consistently put on a strong face is diminished when no one can see your face.

I have several opinions the expectations of men and on masculinity....but this isn't the thread for that.
Bai Ali Shaipov

Khabib Time

Ali Ibn Taleb
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Postby PBells » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:44 pm

One of the first clips I saw with Anthony was him calling people who were offended by Gordon Ramsay "syphilitic bed-wetters" and I knew that this was a guy worth listening to!

It's hard for us outsiders to understand what was really going on... on paper everything seemed so great for him but obviously something else was going on. Now we'll never know. Rest in peace.
Rear Naked Choke > Dana's Angels

Except Ronda:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
PBells

Accolades: June 2016 MMALinker Fantasy C-League Champion, Sep. 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion, July 2017 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion, June 2018 Fantasy A-League Champion

Next

Return to MMA Discussion