Page 1 of 5

MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:54 pm
by irishmike357
Here is a spot for all you gamblers to talk about....gambling.


Celtics +160
Lakers -180


That line looks pretty good for the Celtics. I think there is alot of hype behind Kobe and the Lakers, but then again Kobe is playing very good and is the best player in the league.



To win the SuperBowl

Giants 25/1

I am a bit bias but I was pretty shocked to see the odds for the Giants at 25 to 1 while the Jets sit at 10/1, the Redskins are also 25/1 and the Texans are 28/1. The Giants had major injury problems last year and will be much better this year. I don't really like betting on someone to win the whole thing this early one though.

I do like the Giants to win the NFC East though at +250.

Also I am considering Division winners
Colts -160
Saints -160
49ers even

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:53 pm
by knock0utp0werK0P
Lakers in 6. I would be surprised if Celtics win this series.

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:17 pm
by irishmike357
Not many gamblers out there? I will have to go drum up some interest in this thread.

Looking at:

US (Even) over Slovenia
Italy (Even) over Parguay


Where are all the soccer nuts at?

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:02 am
by Cornbread Mafia
knock0utp0werK0P wrote:Lakers in 6. I would be surprised if Celtics win this series.

hopefully you didnt bet on that

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:02 am
by Cornbread Mafia
i'm a gambler but have never really been into sports betting, i will lay a couple bucks down every once in a while but i prefer to either play poker, craps, or blackjack

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:44 am
by Spanish Inquisitor
I'm going pretty hard on the spanish basketball league's final, which is on right now too. FC Barcelona is hands down the best team in Europe. They've already won the spanish cup and the euroleague, and they were huge favourites to win the spanish league too. They were facing Caja Laboral, and their win was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I expected Caja Laboral to make it somewhat competitive games (and thanks to that I made some money with the handicap lines, which were way too high), but I never saw what actually happened coming: Caja Laboral beat Barça twice in Barcelona. So now Barça MUST win all three games or they'll lose (the final series in Spain is shorter than in NBA). I just can't see anybody beating Barcelona 3 out of 3 times, so I'm convinced they're gonna win at least the upcoming game, which is played tomorrow, so I'm betting on the -3,5 handicap.

On a side note, Mike, where are you from? Are you an irish from Ireland or you live in America but you're background is irish? I thought you were actually from Ireland, but seeing an irishman talk about basketball and american football is kinda weird. :lol:

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:43 pm
by Poop Cannon
This is a bit late for now to state this, but generally in "high profile" football tournaments like the ongoing world cup or euro championships, group bets are profitable. As in, who qualifies for the playoff bracket and who doesn't. You can generally pick the group winners in some groups pretty easily (for these games Brazil, the argies and the krauts are pretty "surefire" along with the dutch), and some odds for the second qualifying teams are really really good.

A good example from these games would be group C, that has
-England
-USA
-Slovenia
-Algeria

Now, the english side is (of course the favorite) to qualify. That's not a good bet though, the odds are terrible. However, for the US to qualify (as in, first or second place) I got a bit over +100, and for slovenia it's even more, close to +200. If one wants to play it safe, a bet on both will give some profit with pretty much absolute certainty. By setting the wager right you're pretty much guaranteed to get 1,5 times your money back! Shame this didn't pop up as an idea before the games started to post here, as Algeria lost it's starter with Slovenia (which is their easiest game, for both teams so basically Algeria is fucked), and the english tied with USA (both get some points so it's a good result). I'm not very convinced Slovenia will go through, so USA will probably deliver :)

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:14 pm
by irishmike357
Nice Poop Cannon. I like the idea. One thing I did was this.

US to win Group +300
US to qualify -200

I am pretty sure the US will at worst qualify, so I bet 1 unit on US to win the group and 3 units on them to qualify. So as long as they qualify I will cover my other bet and make 1/2 unit and if they win then I make 4.5 units.

I am also looking at (to qualify)

Chile -140
Portugal -175
Japan +105
S Korea -130

What do you think? These will probably change so I will most likely bet on them tonight.

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:54 am
by Spanish Inquisitor
irishmike357 wrote:Nice Poop Cannon. I like the idea. One thing I did was this.

US to win Group +300
US to qualify -200

I am pretty sure the US will at worst qualify, so I bet 1 unit on US to win the group and 3 units on them to qualify. So as long as they qualify I will cover my other bet and make 1/2 unit and if they win then I make 4.5 units.


That's a bit risky. Them losing to Slovenia (team that already has one win) wouldn't be that big of an upset, and even though the US squad has a realistic shot at winning the group after the draw against England, I don't think it's likely. Good luck with it, though.

irishmike357 wrote:Chile -140
Portugal -175
Japan +105
S Korea -130


I think the Portugal odds are pretty good. I was actually thinking about doing some kind of parlay with the easy groups. How would it sound something like Portugal qualifying + Spain winning the group + Germany winning the group? Unibet, for instance, gives you +134.

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:12 am
by Spanish Inquisitor
Oh, and I should have included Argentina too. What would you do? Would you parlay them four? Three of them? Two of them? Which ones?

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:57 pm
by irishmike357
Spanish Inquisitor wrote:Oh, and I should have included Argentina too. What would you do? Would you parlay them four? Three of them? Two of them? Which ones?

I use bodog and can't parlay those bets but that actually seems like a pretty decent parlay. My USA bets pretty much hinge on them beating Slovenia.

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:51 pm
by irishmike357
Just noticed that Germany -167 seems like a really solid bet against Serbia on Friday. I actually parlayd it with Spain and Argentina as well, turns out to be +166.



Spanish Inquisitor wrote:On a side note, Mike, where are you from? Are you an irish from Ireland or you live in America but you're background is irish? I thought you were actually from Ireland, but seeing an irishman talk about basketball and american football is kinda weird. :lol:


Nah I am from New York. My family is from Ireland though.

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:56 am
by Spanish Inquisitor
Spanish Inquisitor wrote:I'm going pretty hard on the spanish basketball league's final, which is on right now too. FC Barcelona is hands down the best team in Europe. They've already won the spanish cup and the euroleague, and they were huge favourites to win the spanish league too. They were facing Caja Laboral, and their win was pretty much a foregone conclusion. I expected Caja Laboral to make it somewhat competitive games (and thanks to that I made some money with the handicap lines, which were way too high), but I never saw what actually happened coming: Caja Laboral beat Barça twice in Barcelona. So now Barça MUST win all three games or they'll lose (the final series in Spain is shorter than in NBA). I just can't see anybody beating Barcelona 3 out of 3 times, so I'm convinced they're gonna win at least the upcoming game, which is played tomorrow, so I'm betting on the -3,5 handicap.


Fuck my life...

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:15 pm
by Poop Cannon
That Spain-game was really an anomaly. They had very good chances too. Argies are looking really good. Also, I was odd struck on how well north korea faired against Brazil. Sure, Brazil was pretty much one-ending the entire game, but sheesh those guys were quick and really disciplined. I wouldn't be suprised if they pull a win from that group.

Re: MMALinker's (Non Sig) Sports Betting Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:03 pm
by irishmike357
Poop Cannon wrote:That Spain-game was really an anomaly. They had very good chances too. Argies are looking really good. Also, I was odd struck on how well north korea faired against Brazil. Sure, Brazil was pretty much one-ending the entire game, but sheesh those guys were quick and really disciplined. I wouldn't be suprised if they pull a win from that group.

There goes my parlay lol. I picked up Argentina though and Germany to HOPEFULLY make up for things.

I got the Lakers tonight again, I think it will be some what close but Lakers to win is a good bet. Also got Yankees, Mets and Atlanta and I think I will take Hornbuckle too.