Register

V. Klitschko vs. Gomez **Spoiler**

Discuss all other combat sports here.

V. Klitschko vs. Gomez **Spoiler**

Postby batangastig » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Klitschko retains WBC heavyweight crown
Published Date: March 23, 2009
STUTTGART:
Vitaly Klitschko retained his WBC heavyweight crown by defeating Cuban Juan Carlos Gomez on a technical knockout in the ninth round on Saturday. Klitschko, who retired in 2005 after a series of injuries before reclaiming the WBC title in October by beating Samuel Peter, had to work hard to beat the bloodied Gomez.

I knew Gomez very well and knew this was not going to be easy," said Klitschko in a post-match public address. "After the sixth I became bit impatient but I knew he did not have much fuel after that." The 37-year-old Ukrainian, 10cm taller than his opponent, who is 35, began cautiously in the first few rounds but gradually went on the attack to the delight of some 12,500 spectators in Stuttgart's sold-out Schleyer Hall.

Klitschko (36-2), chipped away at Gomez's defenses with several punishing blows to the body and head that left the Cuban with a cut above his right eye in the fourth round. As his eye closed, Gomez began having problems blocking Klitschko's powerful right, and a left-right combination in the sixth further rattled the Cuban. Gomez (44-1) went down on his knees in the seventh after Klitschko, who went into the fight with a record of 35 knockouts, landed a big right. The Cuban then took a barrage of punches b
ut somehow managed to stay on his feet.

Gomez lasted two more rounds before Klitschko sent him to the ropes with a series of left jabs and the referee stopped the fight with one minute and 49 seconds left in the round. "Now I want the one title that evades the Klitschko family," said Vitaly, referring to the WBA heavyweight title held by Russian Nikolai Valuev. Vitaly's brother Vladimir holds the WBO and IBF crowns. However, the WBC has ordered Vitaly to make another mandatory title defense within four months, a decision Klitschko has appealed t
o the Court of Arbitration for Sport. - Reuters
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: V. Klitschko vs. Gomez **Spoiler**

Postby matttoma3 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:28 pm

Gomez got outclassed in that fight. It was kind of disturbing when the commentators were talking about how Klitschko and his management got a ring with sides that were 4 feet shorter than normal. That's messed up. No wonder people think that boxing is corrupt.
EGGYEGG IS THE SHIT. HE IS QUITE FRANKLY THE MOST INTELLIGENT SIGBETTER ON THIS PLANET. I BOW DOWN TO HIS AWESOMENESS. CRO COP IS MY HERO!!
1-1
Bets? GSP,Hendo,Fitch,Akiyama,Bonnar,Miller
matttoma3
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby thebrickhithouse » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:58 pm

Shit, I had no idea this fight was even happening. Good win for Klitschko.
Back & better than ever...
thebrickhithouse
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt

Postby supermanpunch » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:53 am

And this ladies and gentleman is why the HW division sucks.
supermanpunch
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.