Close
Login
Register

Training log

Want to share your work out? this is the place to do it.

Training log

Postby RubenATC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Hey guys, i just started training about 3 weeks ago and its going good and i wanted to share my experiences with you guys. Right now im taking the beginning striking course and i dont have any prior experience so im just slowly working my way up right now.

Every class we start with like 10 minutes of jumping rope(3 3min rounds) Then we shadow box for another 3 rounds

Today we worked on blocking and countering a little, and slipping punches and countering. This was my first time ever slipping punches and im a bit of a slow learner so it takes me a while.

Then the teacher asked if we wanted to do some light sparring and about half the class(10 people) went into the ring and the other half kept working on the same drills. I wanted to try it out so i decided to go spar. And we were just working the body, no strikes or kicks to the head and we were supposed to go 40%. The 40% blew out the window right away as my partner started swinging full force at my body....so i did the same :lol:

I landed some good leg kicks and some good body shots but i missed some kicks and paid the price. i was out of energy at the end so im going to start doing more cardio. I hope you guys found this a little interesting and not a complete waste of time. I'll try to update this regularly. thanks.
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby ChronicMike » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:23 am

Hey that sounds awesome man. I started training stand up from a beginners level too last year, it's really a lot of fun. We would normally do a 15 min warm up of skipping, running, pushups, situps, squats and burpies. After that was a few drills on whatever the focus of the day was. Then 30 mins of sparring.

Sparring is awesome man, I remember when I first started we were only supposed to go light but just like you it went out the window. You'll learn to adapt more with more experience and it won't be a big deal to lighten up the sparring.

Wanderlei Silva
Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
Anderson Silva

7-0


FS
User avatar
ChronicMike
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 3815
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:08 am
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:16 pm

ChronicMike wrote:Hey that sounds awesome man. I started training stand up from a beginners level too last year, it's really a lot of fun. We would normally do a 15 min warm up of skipping, running, pushups, situps, squats and burpies. After that was a few drills on whatever the focus of the day was. Then 30 mins of sparring.

Sparring is awesome man, I remember when I first started we were only supposed to go light but just like you it went out the window. You'll learn to adapt more with more experience and it won't be a big deal to lighten up the sparring.

yeah it was pretty fun but i really need to work on cardio. And i hope we keep doing more of this light sparring until everyone learns to not go full force all the time because i can only imagine how many guys will go crazy and start throwing haymakers if we start punching to the head.
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby detfilteg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:59 pm

Stand_and_Fight wrote:
ChronicMike wrote:Hey that sounds awesome man. I started training stand up from a beginners level too last year, it's really a lot of fun. We would normally do a 15 min warm up of skipping, running, pushups, situps, squats and burpies. After that was a few drills on whatever the focus of the day was. Then 30 mins of sparring.

Sparring is awesome man, I remember when I first started we were only supposed to go light but just like you it went out the window. You'll learn to adapt more with more experience and it won't be a big deal to lighten up the sparring.

yeah it was pretty fun but i really need to work on cardio. And i hope we keep doing more of this light sparring until everyone learns to not go full force all the time because i can only imagine how many guys will go crazy and start throwing haymakers if we start punching to the head.



Sounds like your instructor needs to take control of some of the class members. 40% != 90%. Usually if someone starts throwing bombs like that in my Muay Thai class the instructor will step in and spar with the person who did not have any self control. Never ends well for the person going aginst the instructor.

Personally if I know someone who wants to go harder than stated in class we will talk about that before actually beginning to spar. Sometimes though it still can get heated so you have to step back and slow down again. The main thing that my instructor is trying to teach people is proper technique and most of the time if you are throwing huge bombs and haymakers your technique is not going to be very pretty. It is very important to solidify your technique at the base of your striking.

I probably spent a good 50 rounds on the heavy bag using no power to work on my technique making sure that I am connecting at the end of my punches and turning my hips and legs into the hooks, uppercuts, kicks, and knees. Making sure to protect myself properly by keeping my hands up and hiding behind my shoulders.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

User avatar
detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6696
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Help!

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:08 pm

^yeah he needs to talk with some guys because like you said technique is whats important, it wasnt that bad either, just a couple of guys would load up on his punches. But i can see how those same guys would get reckless if we were hitting the head too, and i dont mind getting hit but if they hit me harder than we are supposed to go, i will do the same. But ideally i would like to go light and work on my combinations, counters and blocking.
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby detfilteg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Stand_and_Fight wrote:^yeah he needs to talk with some guys because like you said technique is whats important, it wasnt that bad either, just a couple of guys would load up on his punches. But i can see how those same guys would get reckless if we were hitting the head too, and i dont mind getting hit but if they hit me harder than we are supposed to go, i will do the same. But ideally i would like to go light and work on my combinations, counters and blocking.



That's for sure. It's always this one guy in our class that tends to get crazy when he is not supposed to. He looks like Melvin Manhoef too so it can be pretty intimidating. I am sure once you start adding in punches and kicks to the head you guys will be wearing headgear, and that takes a lot of the power away from the strike. I mean in my first amateur fight I was unloading on this guy in the first round, but I just couldn't knock his ass down or out. Stupid head gear.

You seem to have the right mindset though so just stay tough and keep at it. Slipping punches will become much more natural for you once you start sparring as well. For me it's really not the slip that is difficult but the timing of the slip. I need to add more to my arsenal though because usually when I slip a jab I always return with a right uppercut and if I slip to the left I return a left uppercut. I need to add in some kick combos after the counter strike.
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

User avatar
detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6696
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Help!

Re: Training log

Postby KC Masterpiece » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm

detfilteg wrote: It's always this one guy in our class that tends to get crazy when he is not supposed to.


Same here. So annoying. It's usually not that hard to deal with because more often than not the guys who do as they're told are the more skilled than the one's who want to go balls out all the time for some reason. But still annoying.

Welcome to the log forum, dudemanbro!
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
User avatar
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro
 
Posts: 6667
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:44 pm

KC Masterpiece wrote:
detfilteg wrote: It's always this one guy in our class that tends to get crazy when he is not supposed to.


Same here. So annoying. It's usually not that hard to deal with because more often than not the guys who do as they're told are the more skilled than the one's who want to go balls out all the time for some reason. But still annoying.

Welcome to the log forum, dudemanbro!

Yeah i hope the guys dont get carried away because i dont care about acting like a badass and throwing bombs and not doing what we learn. I want to take it slow and try to do my best at mastering the techniques that we learn, no need to rush it that much.
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:09 pm

Wednesday i didnt go to the gym because there was a storm. But i did some ab exercises here at my house 3x25 crunches and two other exercises that i dont know the names of. A total of 9 sets of 25 reps.

Thursday
10 mins jumping rope

10 mins shadowbox

We worked with a partner and we threw combinations, worked on blocking and countering.

25 mins of light sparring(body only) 2 minute rounds with 15 sec break and switch partners every round. And it went way better than the first day, everyone was more relaxed and i was able to work on my combos.

The class i go to is only Monday-Thursday so i will work on my strength and conditioning over the next 3 days
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:58 am

Sorry about not updating.
Sunday
3 mile run

Monday
10 mins jumping rope

10 mins shadowboxing

We worked combinations on thai pads

Last 10 mins were just kicks, low kicks and body kicks.

Gonna go to both the boxing and striking class tomorrow, i cant wait :D
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby Smith » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:09 am

We need to get you on a workout routine young buck.
THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
User avatar
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 5038
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:09 pm
Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Smith wrote:We need to get you on a workout routine young buck.

yea, unfortunately i have very limited equipment at home and my gym doesnt have a very good weight selection. I just do what i can with dumbells and bodyweight exercises here at home...
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:51 am

Tuesday

Boxing:
10 mins jump rope

10 mins shadowboxing with a partner

Combinations with a partner

10 mins hitting the heavy bag

Conditioning drill: 50 crunches, 50 side to side crunches, 40 push ups, 30 flutterkicks(sorta like leg lifts), 40 weird ab exercises that i have no idea what they are called

Striking:
10 mins shadowboxing

Working a bunch of combinations and counters, blocking punches and checking kicks



It was fun today, i really liked the boxing class and im going to start going to both classes everyday from now on.
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby RubenATC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:03 am

Wednesday

Boxing:
10 mins shadowboxing

Worked on blocking, slipping and ducking punches

2 rounds on heavy bag

We threw alternating body shots with our partner, it was really painful and i barely made it past that round

Conditioning: 50 crunches, 50 side to side, 50 pushups, 50 flutter kicks, 30 cherry pickers

Striking
10 mins shadowbox

Combinations on Thai pads: 1,2,3, right kick....1,1,2 switch kick...uppercuts

Conditioning drills


Damn today was tough, taking body shots really drained my strength, i thought i was going to fall in pain if I took another good one. Im getting a great workout so im going to keep taking both classes.
User avatar
RubenATC
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Chula Vista

Re: Training log

Postby detfilteg » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:28 am

With a bit more practice under your belt now is the slipping punches coming more easily to you?
wilfred wrote:We all have to make sacrifices, Ryan. Like the story of Jesus Christ. I'm sure the Roman soldiers wanted to hang out at the Pantheon and stare at tits all day, but they knew they had a duty to kill Jesus.

User avatar
detfilteg
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 6696
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Help!

Next

Return to Workout Logs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users