Close
Login
Register

Timbercutters workout log

Want to share your work out? this is the place to do it.

Timbercutters workout log

Postby timbercutter » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Every other day.....currently working back from r-cuff injury so I'm not at my top form yet....and I'm a little over my Competition weight right now...5'10 179 lbs . thesre are my #'s as of today 6/4/2010

Bench
no warm up
215x 9
215x 10
215x 10
215x 10
215x 10
215x 10
215x 10
215x 9 (start of my "fade")
215x 9
215x 9
215x 9
215x 8
215x 8
215x 8
215x 8
215x 8
215x 7
215x 7
215x 7
215x 7......173 reps = 37195 pounds...then I usually do 6 sets of curls (regular and inverted) totalling 8100 lbs...for a current total of 45,295 per workout

when I get to the point where I can do 10 sets of ten reps, I add 10 lbs to the bar
Warming the Earth, one tree at a time
Hail the return of DUNCAN!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors
Accolades: Real Life Bad Ass

Re: Timbercutters workout log

Postby maciejkargol » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:53 pm

jesus timber. I got questions. How much rest do you do between sets, and is it good to just do flat bench in one day. or include incline and decline and flies
SURVIVOR POOL CHAMPION
maciejkargol
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Survivor

Postby timbercutter » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:04 pm

I know it sounds fucked up (and it is) but I've been using this for about 10 years now...I have a rest interval of 3 minutes between sets.

It works for me because my job as a timbercutter gives me an excellent workout for the rest of my bod....like core, legs, shoulders , arms etc.

I only modify my bench W/O about 6 weeks before competions to get used to lifting max amounts for 1 rep.....
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Location: Below a cold desolate country, populated with former frenchmen and crack smokin mayors

Postby maciejkargol » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:01 pm

timbercutter wrote:I know it sounds fucked up (and it is) but I've been using this for about 10 years now...I have a rest interval of 3 minutes between sets.

It works for me because my job as a timbercutter gives me an excellent workout for the rest of my bod....like core, legs, shoulders , arms etc.

I only modify my bench W/O about 6 weeks before competions to get used to lifting max amounts for 1 rep.....

cool, I rest for 3 minutes between sets as well. Just got back in the gym a week ago so I'm trying to get my numbers back up.
SURVIVOR POOL CHAMPION
maciejkargol
Mod Emeritus

Postby KC Masterpiece » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:23 am

maciejkargol wrote:
timbercutter wrote:I know it sounds fucked up (and it is) but I've been using this for about 10 years now...I have a rest interval of 3 minutes between sets.

cool, I rest for 3 minutes between sets as well. Just got back in the gym a week ago so I'm trying to get my numbers back up.

Start a workout log, brother!
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby maciejkargol » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:50 pm

KC Masterpiece wrote:
maciejkargol wrote:

Start a workout log, brother!

I'm too inconsistant, I change up my workouts weekly trying to get them better and better, and don't go to gym some days if it doesn't workout. its like
day 1: chest and triceps
day 2: shoulders and traps
day 3: back and biceps
day 4: Legs and Abs
Rest
Repeat.

When Day 1 comes around again I'll give the workout log a shot.
SURVIVOR POOL CHAMPION
maciejkargol
Mod Emeritus

Postby timbercutter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:56 pm

I can't beleive this shit!?

Two Mods have hijacked my workout log.....you bastards! :lol:
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Postby timbercutter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:50 pm

Sweet...I just earned a 1 week break.

Just finished my 20 set workout....being able to do 10 reps in each of the first 10 sets @ 220lbs........graduation day! when I start back up next tuesday I will be using 230lbs....probably take 6 weeks or so till I can do ten sets of ten reps with that..........DAMN IT FEELS GOOD!...got a real urge to go out and kill something with my bare hands!
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Postby Smith » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Your bench would improve drastically if you'd start doing some other stuff than bench Timberdaddy. :lol:
THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Postby timbercutter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Smith wrote:Your bench would improve drastically if you'd start doing some other stuff than bench Timberdaddy. :lol:

I'm starting to beleive it would..I'm spending less and less time in the manly occupation as a timbercutter...and more time around alot of fag ass lawyers/judges...I might have to start adding something....knowing that it's hard to improve on perfection, what would you suggest to aid my bench?...somethin that doesn't eat up too much time........
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Postby Smith » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:16 pm

You don't work your back through any horizontal motions which definitely hurts your bench press. Some sort of barbell row is necessary.
THE MARSHAL OF MMALINKER

ImageImage

(22:02:00) Bagaman: wish i was an alligator
Smith
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Location: Comfortably between a dreary northern neighbor and a cantankerous southern frienemy.

Postby timbercutter » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Smith wrote:You don't work your back through any horizontal motions which definitely hurts your bench press. Some sort of barbell row is necessary.

I used to get a pretty good back workout while killin trees....holdin a 16lbs saw away from my bod while tryin to avoid death...but these days I only work 1-2 days per week in the woods....give me some specifics my friend...like what particular excersize, how much weight and how many reps and sets...I trust your advice........
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Postby red_donn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:43 am

timbercutter wrote:
Smith wrote:You don't work your back through any horizontal motions which definitely hurts your bench press. Some sort of barbell row is necessary.

I used to get a pretty good back workout while killin trees....holdin a 16lbs saw away from my bod while tryin to avoid death...but these days I only work 1-2 days per week in the woods....give me some specifics my friend...like what particular excersize, how much weight and how many reps and sets...I trust your advice........

The most important supplementary exercise to the bench is performing some kind of pull along the same line of motion, perpendicular to your body. The standard recommendation is the barbell row - there are several small variations of this movement (Pendlay/dynamic rows are a major one) so if Smith has a preferred form I'd listen to him as I'm not training the lift until my next cycle - but also dumbbell rows if you prefer them.

I think the bb row would suit you nicely. All it requires is the bar and plates after all, and the programming for it is pretty easy. I'm used to seeing it trained either as an assistance lift with some 8-12 reps or as a primary/secondary pull, meaning it would be trained as either 5x5 or 4x5 if the bench press was trained 5x5. Let's stick with your usual goal of aiming for 10 reps per set, as you seem to adapt freakishly well to that.

Currently your routine aims for reps along these lines:
Bench 20x10
BB Curl 6x10 - perhaps this breaks down to 3x10 inverted and 3x10 regular

Here are some options:
1) The programming from your routine is very different than what I am used to seeing, but I think it is safe to say we can't pair up 20x10 on the bench with 20x10 on the row, particularly not with barbell curls in your routine as well.
2) Stick BB rows for 10x10 or 5x10 directly in between the bench and curl without any other alterations. That's going to be a huge jump in volume and tonnage, probably a mistake.
3) Drop BB curls entirely and insert 6x10 BB rows, your tonnage will still go up with this option. You could also do 6x10 bb rows with just a couple sets of curls, as I know Dave Tate does like to toss in some bb curls.
4) Drop some of your curl sets for rowing sets. Prioritize the row above the curls, meaning that if you are splitting up six sets of assistance work, I'd make sure at least three were rows. You could do two sets of rows, inverted curls, and normal curls each, but that doesn't sound like enough horizontal lat work to me.

I'm thinking option three might be best for now - minimize or eliminate curls until you've tested out the effects of rows. It's closest to your current set/rep scheme and it reduces the risk of overtraining your pulls. Rows are still going to work your biceps, so reducing curls is a relatively safe move, but the overall workout tonnage is going to jump and that's what I'd be watching closely. You monitor your tonnage including curls I believe, so do you know if there a level of overall tonnage or volume that has caused you problems in the past - one you would want to stay under? That would be an excellent ceiling to impose on your set/rep scheme until you've tested out the effects of rows.

As to weight, you should probably do a test day - add weight to the bar in fairly small increments while performing sets of 10 until either your form becomes a little shaky or the bar path slows.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn
1st Professional Linker Victory

Postby timbercutter » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:46 pm

red_donn wrote:
timbercutter wrote:

The most important supplementary exercise to the bench is performing some kind of pull along the same line of motion, perpendicular to your body. The standard recommendation is the barbell row - there are several small variations of this movement (Pendlay/dynamic rows are a major one) so if Smith has a preferred form I'd listen to him as I'm not training the lift until my next cycle - but also dumbbell rows if you prefer them.

I think the bb row would suit you nicely. All it requires is the bar and plates after all, and the programming for it is pretty easy. I'm used to seeing it trained either as an assistance lift with some 8-12 reps or as a primary/secondary pull, meaning it would be trained as either 5x5 or 4x5 if the bench press was trained 5x5. Let's stick with your usual goal of aiming for 10 reps per set, as you seem to adapt freakishly well to that.

Currently your routine aims for reps along these lines:
Bench 20x10
BB Curl 6x10 - perhaps this breaks down to 3x10 inverted and 3x10 regular

Here are some options:
1) The programming from your routine is very different than what I am used to seeing, but I think it is safe to say we can't pair up 20x10 on the bench with 20x10 on the row, particularly not with barbell curls in your routine as well.
2) Stick BB rows for 10x10 or 5x10 directly in between the bench and curl without any other alterations. That's going to be a huge jump in volume and tonnage, probably a mistake.
3) Drop BB curls entirely and insert 6x10 BB rows, your tonnage will still go up with this option. You could also do 6x10 bb rows with just a couple sets of curls, as I know Dave Tate does like to toss in some bb curls.
4) Drop some of your curl sets for rowing sets. Prioritize the row above the curls, meaning that if you are splitting up six sets of assistance work, I'd make sure at least three were rows. You could do two sets of rows, inverted curls, and normal curls each, but that doesn't sound like enough horizontal lat work to me.

I'm thinking option three might be best for now - minimize or eliminate curls until you've tested out the effects of rows. It's closest to your current set/rep scheme and it reduces the risk of overtraining your pulls. Rows are still going to work your biceps, so reducing curls is a relatively safe move, but the overall workout tonnage is going to jump and that's what I'd be watching closely. You monitor your tonnage including curls I believe, so do you know if there a level of overall tonnage or volume that has caused you problems in the past - one you would want to stay under? That would be an excellent ceiling to impose on your set/rep scheme until you've tested out the effects of rows.

As to weight, you should probably do a test day - add weight to the bar in fairly small increments while performing sets of 10 until either your form becomes a little shaky or the bar path slows.

Thanks alot Red...I really appreciate you takin the time.....my 20 set routine has always worked well in the past because of the crazy workout I get from cutting timber...not at all unusual for me to lose 8-10 lbs after a full day in the woods (don't worry, I drink it back on at nite)...but like I mentioned, I have been doing more and more Attorney work latley and that entails alot of sittin at a desk and runnin my mouth in court...so I'm gettin a little worried about a muscular inbalance.

I'm going to try adding some of your suggestions into my routine.....thanks again my friend.
SIG BETS @ 12-3
Fuck Kusok
timbercutter
bad ass

Postby red_donn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:24 pm

Not a problem at all man. We may even have you squatting one of these days. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIUg8nDVEFs&feature=related

This is a demonstration of strict Pendlay rows by the title. Guy's got his ass way out, so you know his hamstrings are getting a lot of concentric activation to balance the load out.

Stronglifts is a decent site if you want to look up technique.
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-perform-the-barbell-row-with-proper-technique/
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
red_donn

Next

Return to Workout Logs