Login
Register

The Official Political Thread.

Anything not MMA related goes here

Re: The Official Political Thread.

Postby DreadLobster » Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am

KingOfPancrase wrote:
TFlock wrote:
bruins2012 wrote:KOP is ducking the George Floyd topic(?)......

:P

:lol: he's trying to dig up dirt on him to justify the cops actions

:roll: Some of us have better things to do than be on linker 24-7.

Doesn't look good. I've put my knee on plenty a person's head to get them in the mood to be handcuffed...because it hurts like hell and is effective. But I let off after they are subdued. Brutality starts when resistance ceases.
However, can't really justify placing your knee on somebodies neck(not head) for several minutes..much less when they are already subdued (which from the looks of it he was).
Not condoning it.

However. What's worse...1 bad cop doing some stupid shit....or the typical mass chimp out, looting, rioting, robbery, and killing and arson that the Africans engage in in mass whenever they find an excuse to do so.

SPEAKING of banning... go back to stormfront!
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby Iceman54 » Fri May 29, 2020 1:57 pm

An arrest has been made of the officer who murdered George Floyd, thank God.

I lean very conservative these days- but that was murder. For a living, i work ( and train new staff members) at a psychiatric hospital. Maybe I'm biased. I intricately train the newbs in effective,(most importantly safe) physical restraint. Granted, cops are allowed to use "pain compliance" - which gives them more leeway. Issue I have was that i didnt see any non compliance- especially during the 3+ mintues the man was unconscious....

While being attacked with stones, razors, and other creative tools- i have never once put my hands( or feet) around a persons neck at work. Rule number 1- to safely subdue somebody, avoid their neck. In scuffles where one person is frantic ( and untrained) they will fight back- in "incorrect" ways - from a technical aspect ( turn away from choke, try to yank their head out etc) leading to Injury- and worse.

Yes, it is more effective. Yes, it is more simple and primitive. Yes, things like this happen when you take shortcuts. Yes, the officer should be held accountable for electing to use dangerous( and illegal) techniques)

My heart aches, we have 2 scenarios here

Worst case- A racist, homicidal, maniac - used the powers that out government gave him- to murder a man

Best Case - a complete incompetent bafoon, with minimal training has been in a position of power for years- unchecked and a man lost his life because of it.

Im not smart enough to know the answers- in fact im not sure there is one. But id be willing to brainstorm with absolutely anybody interested.

Stay safe guys.
hawdrigoh wrote:Linker is the best site. Hands down. It doesn't need "a chance". Anyone that thinks otherwise can fuck right off.

PBells wrote:
AXEMELL wrote:Dave Mayhew ‏@Creamjack138 17 Jun 2015 View translation
MMALINKER? more like NGRFGTLINKER
Well in that case, fuck him, his wife, and his kid. :lol:
Iceman54
Middleweight Sig-Betting Champion

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Master Detective, Former HW Champion
April 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion
June 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Postby PBells » Fri May 29, 2020 2:10 pm

Iceman54 wrote:An arrest has been made of the officer who murdered George Floyd, thank God.

I lean very conservative these days- but that was murder. For a living, i work ( and train new staff members) at a psychiatric hospital. Maybe I'm biased. I intricately train the newbs in effective,(most importantly safe) physical restraint. Granted, cops are allowed to use "pain compliance" - which gives them more leeway. Issue I have was that i didnt see any non compliance- especially during the 3+ mintues the man was unconscious....

While being attacked with stones, razors, and other creative tools- i have never once put my hands( or feet) around a persons neck at work. Rule number 1- to safely subdue somebody, avoid their neck. In scuffles where one person is frantic ( and untrained) they will fight back- in "incorrect" ways - from a technical aspect ( turn away from choke, try to yank their head out etc) leading to Injury- and worse.

Yes, it is more effective. Yes, it is more simple and primitive. Yes, things like this happen when you take shortcuts. Yes, the officer should be held accountable for electing to use dangerous( and illegal) techniques)

My heart aches, we have 2 scenarios here

Worst case- A racist, homicidal, maniac - used the powers that out government gave him- to murder a man

Best Case - a complete incompetent bafoon, with minimal training has been in a position of power for years- unchecked and a man lost his life because of it.

Im not smart enough to know the answers- in fact im not sure there is one. But id be willing to brainstorm with absolutely anybody interested.

Stay safe guys.

Awesome post. :tup: I agree that there's no good answer, but more than anything else I'm just sick of the constant politicizing of every tragedy like this from both sides. "He killed him because he was a Trump supporter!" vs. "He deserved to die because [reasons]!" Both are shit views. A man is dead and anyone using that to push a political agenda is gross. And old work acquaintance of mine who used to be a youth pastor recently posted on Facebook that he regretted ever preaching non-violence. He's been reading Malcom X a lot ever since this incident and is now calling for a revolution by any means necessary. But if we look at this situation, one individual killed another individual. People want to interpret this as one organized effort to eradicate black people, but if that's true then they're doing a lousy job. All the rioters and looters are shitty people, too, IMO. A perceived blight like this does not legitimize chaotically-random criminal retaliation. That doesn't help anything in the big picture. An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

I don't know, it's all just a complicated mess with no real answers.
PBells
The Jim Cornette of 'Linker

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019, Oct 2019, Dec 2019
Survivor Champion (x2)

Postby Iceman54 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:51 pm

PBells wrote:Awesome post. :tup: I agree that there's no good answer, but more than anything else I'm just sick of the constant politicizing of every tragedy like this from both sides. "He killed him because he was a Trump supporter!" vs. "He deserved to die because [reasons]!" Both are shit views. A man is dead and anyone using that to push a political agenda is gross. And old work acquaintance of mine who used to be a youth pastor recently posted on Facebook that he regretted ever preaching non-violence. He's been reading Malcom X a lot ever since this incident and is now calling for a revolution by any means necessary. But if we look at this situation, one individual killed another individual. People want to interpret this as one organized effort to eradicate black people, but if that's true then they're doing a lousy job. All the rioters and looters are shitty people, too, IMO. A perceived blight like this does not legitimize chaotically-random criminal retaliation. That doesn't help anything in the big picture. I don't know, it's all just a complicated mess with no real answers.

Interesting- what your old work buddy mentioned. I wonder what changed his mind- ive seen a lot of thought to the idea that " MLK was wrong, were still dying" and I guess I can follow that logic to a degree.. I just disagree with the premise itself- personally. I tend to agree with you, that these situations really SHOULD be handled on a case to case basis. Just not sure thats feasible this deep in.

It took the prosecutor a week to decide that was murder? Bullshit, the man was being protected.. The riots worked. Police station on fire, 8 hours later- arrest. I was initially part of the " come on, whats looting do?" side. But it worked, it really did. Were some people using it for no honorable motive other than personal gain? Yeah, probably most actually. But- it worked.

Its clear to me we have kind of gotten to a point of no return. Everyone is so damn focused on self interest ( or self preservation). Without making changes to ourselves were all doomed. Me and you included- this is productive convo why not on a bigger scale? Instead, we choose to be lazy and keep our opinions to ourselves.

Intelligent people often hold back from speaking out- as true intelligence entails self doubt. To be truly intelligent- you have to accept that you could be wrong. Thats where " the vocal minority " come from. Unfortunately- we need intelligent people to have this conversation on a large scale. Whats that even mean though? Shit, i dont know. I picture televised conversations between elected members of factions? Fuck man, idk. Problem is nobody is actually interested in that.

Its easier to yell, scream, and fight, then it is to sit down and have productive dialogue. In this country- easy is "cool". Its lame to be a tryhard, its lame to organize. But damn do i look cool in front of a burning police station with my bandanna on!! On top of it, the burning police station achieved the goal. How the hell can i sit here and say it was wrong?
hawdrigoh wrote:Linker is the best site. Hands down. It doesn't need "a chance". Anyone that thinks otherwise can fuck right off.

PBells wrote:
Iceman54

Postby PBells » Fri May 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Iceman54 wrote:Interesting- what your old work buddy mentioned. I wonder what changed his mind-

I think it's just the sum of all these incidents put together. He used to see himself as black, he's said as much on Facebook, so he probably has a deeper connection than someone like me. He was the pastor of this hip start-up church about 10 years ago and recently he's been posting about how all that stuff was cringy and he really didn't know what he was doing or saying.

It took the prosecutor a week to decide that was murder? Bullshit, the man was being protected.. The riots worked. Police station on fire, 8 hours later- arrest. I was initially part of the " come on, whats looting do?" side. But it worked, it really did. Were some people using it for no honorable motive other than personal gain? Yeah, probably most actually. But- it worked.

Ah, I was unaware of the timeframe. I don't really follow the news very much and only know tidbits about what happened from Facebook posts and reactions. I can go on about how violence doesn't solve anything, but then what about the American Revolution? Or really any revolution for that matter. It's a catch-22, IMO.
PBells

Survivor Champion (x2)

Postby DreadLobster » Fri May 29, 2020 7:05 pm

The sad reality is that rioting and violence DO work.

They always have. Its way way harder to find an example of real change or reform coming from peace.

Problems of this variety are almost invariably ignored until it boils over and people get hurt. Sometimes things change, usually it just vents enough steam to kick the can down the road and do it all over again later.

Obviously way easier said than done but the answer HAS to revolve around getting people to listen to each other before it reaches that point.
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby DreadLobster » Fri May 29, 2020 7:09 pm

Not to change the subject but how's everyone feeling about the regulation of twitter and facebook that's about to happen?

That's gonna get real interesting because that section 230 immunity (google if you haven't read up on it) they're talking about doing away with might effect other web forums too...
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby PBells » Fri May 29, 2020 7:17 pm

^ I like how pro-free speech and pro-private business Republicans are applauding the government interfering with free speech and private business because the ones in question hurt their feelings.

And as far as riots and whatnot, I guess I’m just sad it has to come to that.
PBells

Survivor Champion (x2)

Postby Iceman54 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:27 pm

PBells wrote:
Iceman54 wrote:Interesting- what your old work buddy mentioned. I wonder what changed his mind-

I think it's just the sum of all these incidents put together. He used to see himself as black, he's said as much on Facebook, so he probably has a deeper connection than someone like me. He was the pastor of this hip start-up church about 10 years ago and recently he's been posting about how all that stuff was cringy and he really didn't know what he was doing or saying.

Ah, I was unaware of the timeframe. I don't really follow the news very much and only know tidbits about what happened from Facebook posts and reactions. I can go on about how violence doesn't solve anything, but then what about the American Revolution? Or really any revolution for that matter. It's a catch-22, IMO.

For the sake of honesty- i embellished a little bit and it was more like 3 days. But honestly? That was open and shut from the start.

As an update- he was charged with 3rd degree murder, and manslaughter. 3rd degree meaning it was intent to harm but not murder- and while that seems likely what he was guilty of- i think he shouldve faced AT LEAST murder in the 2nd- honestly. He had many opportunities to get off of the unconscious neck, of Floyd. Sounds like a " heat of the moment" killing- described by 2nd degree, no?

Im just confused why the riots are STILL happening. The dirty pig murdered a man, lock his ass up and lets all move on. I havent been gifted the new "agenda"

PBells wrote:
Iceman54

Postby DreadLobster » Fri May 29, 2020 7:38 pm

PBells wrote:^ I like how pro-free speech and pro-private business Republicans are applauding the government interfering with free speech and private business because the ones in question hurt their feelings.

Bunch of damn snowflakes :lol:

Do you remember the fairness doctrine and the debate around that? The republicans were on the exact opposite side, talking about how if liberals wanted equal air time they should go make new radio stations and be successful. Now that they're the ones who can't compete its time for Uncle Sam to be the arbiter of what's fair.

They set up a reporting tool, so you can bitch about how unfair the twitter mods are, directly to the white house:
https://whitehouse.typeform.com/to/Jti9QH

People are cheering this. Scary shit.

And as far as riots and whatnot, I guess I’m just sad it has to come to that.

Its all super sad. Especially when you consider this is the same shit people have been rioting about for decades.

The riots are never big enough or anywhere close to organized enough to amount to any sort of revolution. Just chaos.

Maybe they'll prove us wrong though and topple the whole system. This year has been wild.
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby Iceman54 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:53 pm

DreadLobster wrote:The sad reality is that rioting and violence DO work.

They always have. Its way way harder to find an example of real change or reform coming from peace.

Problems of this variety are almost invariably ignored until it boils over and people get hurt. Sometimes things change, usually it just vents enough steam to kick the can down the road and do it all over again later.

Obviously way easier said than done but the answer HAS to revolve around getting people to listen to each other before it reaches that point.

Youre exactly right, Dread. Well put.

Riots, and Revolutions tend to appear more socially acceptable the further away they get from the present. Maybe we look back at this thankful there was a firm stand made here. Who knows?

I do however, wish there was another way. That starts with elected officials and community work. Why do we have professional politicians? Why is it a cycle of the same 25 people in the picture? Sorry guys- ahead of myself. Just riled up today.

As far as the Social Media stuff- i dont feel well educated enough to have a stance yet. Generally speaking though- keep your hands off my shit!!! I know part of this ordeal is boiling over because Twitter has been deleting some of Trumps tweets - which honestly makes me sick. He might not have shit to say, but why arent i allowed to hear it?

PBells wrote:
Iceman54

Postby PBells » Fri May 29, 2020 8:03 pm

Are they actually deleting Trump tweets or is he just that butthurt they are fact-checking him?
PBells

Survivor Champion (x2)

Postby DreadLobster » Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 pm

Iceman54 wrote:

Riots, and Revolutions tend to appear more socially acceptable the further away they get from the present. Maybe we look back at this thankful there was a firm stand made here. Who knows?

I do however, wish there was another way. That starts with elected officials and community work. Why do we have professional politicians? Why is it a cycle of the same 25 people in the picture? Sorry guys- ahead of myself. Just riled up today.

No you've got a good point. I've been saying for years that the protests centering around police is misguided. They don't write the laws.

Go burn down a capitol if you're gonna burn down anything. Make the lawmakers uncomfortable, shit will get done a lot faster.

Also, the police certainly need to make some changes but a lot of this shit is the fault of bad laws. War on drugs, etc.

Eric Garner is a perfect example. Dude was killed for allegedly selling loose cigarettes. Who gives two shits about that? Why is there even a law about that AT ALL?

As far as the Social Media stuff- i dont feel well educated enough to have a stance yet. Generally speaking though- keep your hands off my shit!!! I know part of this ordeal is boiling over because Twitter has been deleting some of Trumps tweets - which honestly makes me sick. He might not have shit to say, but why arent i allowed to hear it?

Thing is though, they didn't delete his tweet.

They didn't delete anything.

They added a link to some third party fact checks.

He's got his base convinced that the government is the victim in a first amendment violation. That's literally impossible. They're the only entity that can violate the first amendment. That equation only works one way.

He's been talking about doing this for a few years now. It started with them complaining that guys like James Woods or Milo Yianopolous would get banned (for blatantly breaking the rules).

Now it seems like he's been literally baiting them into doing SOMETHING to him. I think that's why he was accusing Morning Joe of murder. It finally worked and he signed an executive order two days later.
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby DreadLobster » Fri May 29, 2020 8:21 pm

PBells wrote:Are they actually deleting Trump tweets or is he just that butthurt they are fact-checking him?
RIP The Maniac

DreadLobster
Role Model

Postby Iceman54 » Fri May 29, 2020 9:28 pm

DreadLobster wrote:
Iceman54 wrote:

No you've got a good point. I've been saying for years that the protests centering around police is misguided. They don't write the laws.

Go burn down a capitol if you're gonna burn down anything. Make the lawmakers uncomfortable, shit will get done a lot faster.

Also, the police certainly need to make some changes but a lot of this shit is the fault of bad laws. War on drugs, etc.

Eric Garner is a perfect example. Dude was killed for allegedly selling loose cigarettes. Who gives two shits about that? Why is there even a law about that AT ALL?

Thing is though, they didn't delete his tweet.

They didn't delete anything.

They added a link to some third party fact checks.

He's got his base convinced that the government is the victim in a first amendment violation. That's literally impossible. They're the only entity that can violate the first amendment. That equation only works one way.

He's been talking about doing this for a few years now. It started with them complaining that guys like James Woods or Milo Yianopolous would get banned (for blatantly breaking the rules).

Now it seems like he's been literally baiting them into doing SOMETHING to him. I think that's why he was accusing Morning Joe of murder. It finally worked and he signed an executive order two days later.

Selling looseys is illegal cause it takes tax $ out of Govt pockets. Walking my dog would be illegal if it costed them a penny. :roll:

Ill look deeper into this and loop back around to you. Like i said- not very educated yet.

However with 150% certainty I can tell you they deleted Trump's post last night. It was 2 parts, and the second part was covered saying " this tweet was removed as it violated our safety policy and guidelines" I saw that much with my own eyes.

PBells wrote:
Iceman54

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion