Close
Login
Register

the Myth of Nate's championship round dominance

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

the Myth of Nate's championship round dominance

Postby PainDog » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:57 am

Nate Diaz is 0-2 in fights that have gone 5 rounds.

Most recently he lost to Conor McGregor in a 5 round fight. In that fight his most dominant round, was round three, which was scored 10-8 by one of the judges. On the other hand all three judges scored the fourth round for Conor the "Notorious for Fading" McGregor. Diaz did win a rather uneventful 5th round.

The other fight that Nate had that went 5 rounds was against Benson Henderson, a fight he lost every single round in, the scores at the end were (50-43, 50-45, 50-45).

In the four main event or championship rounds that Nate has been a part of he lost 3/4s of them, and dominated none of them.

So a fighter that has never dominated the 4th and 5th rounds, has suddenly become so dominant in those rounds he was going to finish an opponent that has never been finished in the UFC.

An opponent that was beating the shit out of him more thoroughly than almost any fight I have seen.

Another lopsided beating that comes to mind is the beating Ortega took at the hands of Holloway.

However, in that fight Ortega still had the edge on the ground, in this fight Masvidal pulverized Nates body at range, boxed him up in the pocket, and smashed him on the ground. There was no where in the fight where Nate wasn't being dominated.

But.....he was waiting for the 4th or 5th round when he was going to turn into superman....and do something he had never done before....finish someone in the 4th or 5th rounds.
Last edited by PainDog on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Damir Ismagulov Time

Saygid Arslanaliev Time

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Re: the Myth of Nate's championship round dominance

Postby bruins2012 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:43 am

I’ve always been a big fan of the Diaz brothers but “gang signs and temper tantrums” pretty much sums them up to a certain degree.
When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior's only concern. Suppress all human emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself.

bruins2012
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: 2014-2015 & 2015-2016 Fantasy Hockey Champion
Fantasy B-League Champion: Aug 2016, May/Sep 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy C-League Champion: July 2016
Survivor

Postby philphan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:35 pm

PainDog wrote:Nate Diaz is 0-2 in fights that have gone 5 rounds.

Most recently he lost to Conor McGregor in a 5 round fight. In that fight his most dominant round, was round three, which was scored 10-8 by one of the judges. On the other hand all three judges scored the fourth round for Conor the "Notorious for Fading" McGregor. Diaz did win a rather uneventful 5th round.

The other fight that Nate had that went 5 rounds was against Benson Henderson, a fight he lost every single round in, the scores at the end were (50-43, 50-45, 50-45).

In the four main event or championship rounds that Nate has been a part of he lost 3/4s of them, and dominated none of them.

So a fighter that has never dominated the 4th and 5th rounds, has suddenly become so dominant in those rounds he was going to finish an opponent that has never been finished in the UFC.

An opponent that was beating the shit out of him more thoroughly than almost any fight I have seen.

Another lopsided beating that comes to mind is the beating Ortega took at the hands of Holloway.

However, in that fight Ortega still had the edge on the ground, in this fight Masvidal pulverized Nates body at range, boxed him up in the pocket, and smashed him on the ground. There was no where in the fight where Nate wasn't being dominated.

But.....he was waiting for the 4th or 5th round when he was going to turn into superman....and do something he had never done before....finish someone in the 4th or 5th rounds.

:bulls: :tup:
I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
linker-fightpass-video-vault-t134034.html
Fantasy Fighters- Max Holloway, Jairzinho Rozenstruik, Marlon Moraes, Ketlen Vieira

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
Fantasy Record for a 4 pick month- 69 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan
Interim Champion
Interim Champion

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019, Aug 2019

Postby abcd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Nate would Outlast any fighter in the game but he needs 10 plus rounds to do it
abcd
Green Belt
Green Belt

Accolades: Fantasy Draft C-League Champion: May 2018 (Final)

Postby 1098765432 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:15 pm

abcd wrote:Nate would Outlast any fighter in the game but he needs 10 plus rounds to do it

Spoiler:
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: MMALinker Bum of the Year 2018

Postby abcd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:48 pm

1098765432 wrote:
abcd wrote:Nate would Outlast any fighter in the game but he needs 10 plus rounds to do it

Spoiler:

What that mean 901234567890123456789013345678
abcd
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby warriorxvv » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:56 pm

Guy is retired on tour, what fucking tour?
warriorxvv
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Oldtoby420 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:10 pm

First off you gotta remember Nate isn't a decision fighter yea he might win decision but he isn't out there looking to point fight to a decision. So if the thought is he picks it up after the 1st 3 rounds to work his better cardio & punches in bunches to where the other fighter down for a tko or sub I can see that but not the idea he's gonna do so to win the decision.

Plus gotta also remember Nate is a diffrent fighter now then he was then in those fights.

Nate's main problem & more so in that fight is his power that's where Masvidal had em beat cuz their striking you could say is 50/50 any given sunday but Masvidal had em beat that night. Also Nate's kicks need improvement or he just needs to use them more it's like eh forgets to throw em in fights but on the ground he def is better then Masvidal but after you get beat int eh striking & taken down your ground game gets took down a notch.

So yes Nate fighta been able to pick it up to win that fight in the 4th & 5th rounds if he could finish but no way was he probably gonna win a decision.

Main problem with this fight is exactly what I said when heard of it that Nate needed another fight & win before taking a big fight like this I feel he wasn't ready while Masvidal is on top of his game atm.
Oldtoby420
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby abcd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Oldtoby420 wrote:First off you gotta remember Nate isn't a decision fighter yea he might win decision but he isn't out there looking to point fight to a decision. So if the thought is he picks it up after the 1st 3 rounds to work his better cardio & punches in bunches to where the other fighter down for a tko or sub I can see that but not the idea he's gonna do so to win the decision.

Plus gotta also remember Nate is a diffrent fighter now then he was then in those fights.

Nate's main problem & more so in that fight is his power that's where Masvidal had em beat cuz their striking you could say is 50/50 any given sunday but Masvidal had em beat that night. Also Nate's kicks need improvement or he just needs to use them more it's like eh forgets to throw em in fights but on the ground he def is better then Masvidal but after you get beat int eh striking & taken down your ground game gets took down a notch.

So yes Nate fighta been able to pick it up to win that fight in the 4th & 5th rounds if he could finish but no way was he probably gonna win a decision.

Main problem with this fight is exactly what I said when heard of it that Nate needed another fight & win before taking a big fight like this I feel he wasn't ready while Masvidal is on top of his game atm.

Agreed. Nate needs to do his push-ups and pullups and he needs to work his kick game.. imagine a marathon runners shins... Dude could probably be on Aldo Barboza level if he would really put the work in.
abcd
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby asdfghjkl » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:27 pm

I'm somewhat of a nate fan but I'm also a realist.
Hes, as loser colby says, a fortune 500 champ or whatever.

Same with masvidal. Hes never going to be champ, but hes definitely getting better where nate hasn't evolved one bit.
asdfghjkl
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby abcd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:34 pm

asdfghjkl wrote:I'm somewhat of a nate fan but I'm also a realist.
Hes, as loser colby says, a fortune 500 champ or whatever.

Same with masvidal. Hes never going to be champ, but hes definitely getting better where nate hasn't evolved one bit.

Thats largely because mma is a sport and not a fight
I can understand no eye gouge, scratching , biting, crotch shots
But when you give people points for holding and not doing shit it became a sport notna fight

With all due respect.. IDGAF about Diaz or Masvidal
But I got mad respect for their styles and their careers as a whole

Example:
Gsp is arguably the goat but why? All he mostly did was hold people down. He didn't finish anyone high level except corner stop bj, revenge serra, old man Hughes and one eye bisping.
As a man I'll take dia or Masvidal careerbover Pierre's any day of the year and I'd hold my head my head high.
abcd
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Asso » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:13 pm

The guy pours it on in the later rounds when his opponent starts to fade, idk what to tell you. He was most likely going to start laying it on Mas in the 3rd round. Whether it would have been enough to win, I don't know
Asso
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby PainDog » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Asso wrote:The guy pours it on in the later rounds when his opponent starts to fade, idk what to tell you. He was most likely going to start laying it on Mas in the 3rd round. Whether it would have been enough to win, I don't know

Nate wasnt about to do anything in the third since he got the shit beat out of him in that round.

Please let me know in which fight he really poured it on in 4th and 5th rounds.

Damir Ismagulov Time

Saygid Arslanaliev Time

Khabib Nurmagomedov Time
PainDog
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Dec 2017, Apr 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Nov 2017

Postby jblaze » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:17 pm

I could see him getting a late finish possibly but more likely he would have kept getting hit in that eye until he actually needed a doctor.
jblaze
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby DeceptaCon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:38 pm

One thing is for sure Nate slapped the shit out of Khabib.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Fantasy C-League Champion: Feb/Sep 2016, Apr 2018
Survivor

Next

Return to MMA Discussion