Close
Login
Register

The Murph

Conditioning, one of the most important aspects of your training. Strength, everyone needs it. Discuss what works for you?

The Murph

Postby irishmike357 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:46 pm

THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL THREAD

Just want to get that out of the way. So Michael Murphy was a Navy SEAL that got killed in Afghanistan when his team of 4 guys was ambushed by 100+ Taliban fighters. Murphy got killed when he exposed himself to hostile fire radio in for help from the base. He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions. He also grew up about 15 minutes from me and is a huge home town hero.

Anyway, The Murph is a cross fit work out inspired by Michael Murphy's favorite work out. He called it Body Armor. Here it is. (For the record I have never done cross fit before).

1 mile run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 bodyweight squats
1 mile run

You can break up the exercises how ever you want, but the runs have to be at the start and end. Oh and he used to do this with a 20 lb ruck on :biggrin:

I did it yesterday and it was a great work out. The pull ups are the hardest part. I tried doing as many legit pull ups as possible, but eventually had to switch to an assisted pull up. The squats were a nice rest, but got the heart racing. The push ups were not really too hard. That last 1 mile felt so weird though with my upper body being all pumped up and legs feeling weak. It poured on me the last mile, which I thought was fitting considering. It took me 1 hour 5 minutes.

Anyone out there do this before? Or anyone want to give it a shot?
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

Re: The Murph

Postby BerzerkerJr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 am

Im so fucking out of shape from just lifting weights and working.. this could be a good way to get in there again. Gonna do it but my time will be fucking horrible.

Ill be posting the results later...
BerzerkerJr
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Re: The Murph

Postby irishmike357 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:39 pm

For the record it is Thursday now and I am just starting to not feel sore lmao. I don't think it would have been that bad, but its been a while since I really did pull ups. I will try again in a week or so.
Go leor uaireanta béal mans bhris a shrón

JHM
LHK
irishmike357
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Former Intercontinental and US Champ

The Murph

Postby Caplepiefrall » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:30 am

I got bad tendonitus so had to stop training for a week take fish oil So did the fish oil help, how much were taking? Did you start smelling fishy?
Caplepiefrall
White Belt
White Belt

Return to Conditioning and Strength Training