Postby stevenalexander84 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:58 pm

The Americana from the Gracies
ImageImage
stevenalexander84
White Belt
White Belt

Re: the Americana

Postby exsanguinator » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:31 am

This was my first 'go to' move. Learning to stay balanced on the top is probably the hardest part of pulling off this submission. At least, in my experience it was.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:02 pm

exsanguinator wrote:This was my first 'go to' move. Learning to stay balanced on the top is probably the hardest part of pulling off this submission. At least, in my experience it was.

this was definitely my first "go to" move too. i still look for it a lot.
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby stevenalexander84 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:04 pm

exsanguinator wrote:This was my first 'go to' move. Learning to stay balanced on the top is probably the hardest part of pulling off this submission. At least, in my experience it was.

This was my problem too until i learned not to chase the arm. I like going for it from the side here lately.
ImageImage
stevenalexander84
White Belt
White Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:07 pm

stevenalexander84 wrote:

This was my problem too until i learned not to chase the arm. I like going for it from the side here lately.

You just need to keep a solid base. The explanation in the video that you posted has increased my americana effectiveness by at least 10 times. Not chasing the arm is a difficult habit to break... but then what do they always say? Position before submission!
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby exsanguinator » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:33 am

Bkgohard119 wrote:the americana was the first submission i learned at first i kept forgetting to pull the arm down now i finally got the technique down and use this move from mount all the time

It works well from side mount as well. You can still get the angle right from there and balance isn't nearly as much of an issue. The transition from mounted americana to the head and arm choke is also incredibly useful.
exsanguinator

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:19 pm

exsanguinator wrote:
Bkgohard119 wrote:the americana was the first submission i learned at first i kept forgetting to pull the arm down now i finally got the technique down and use this move from mount all the time

It works well from side mount as well. You can still get the angle right from there and balance isn't nearly as much of an issue. The transition from mounted americana to the head and arm choke is also incredibly useful.

Once I learned to keep the arm down, I found myself going for this all the time. Really effective in my short experience.

Like exsan say: key, balance is.
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby exsanguinator » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:04 am

KC Masterpiece wrote:
exsanguinator wrote:

Once I learned to keep the arm down, I found myself going for this all the time. Really effective in my short experience.

Like exsan say: key, balance is.

I actually like going for both americanas and kimuras from half mount.

Funny story, before I had to move back home there was this kid that had been doing jits for about a year or so that had completely schooled me every time I rolled with him. And I do mean kid, he was like 15, shorter than I was and about the same weight. Every time I rolled with him, I lost. Plain and simple. There was nothing that I could do to beat him and at first it was incredibly frustrating. Upon further reflection I threw my ego out of the equation and viewed every chance I got to roll with the kid as a learning experience. Over the course of the last couple months before I had to move I got closer and closer to beating him but he would always find some way at the last second to sub me. The very last time I rolled with him I ended up landing in half mount with this shoulders flat on the mat. I finally beat that little fucker with an americana from half mount. I've never felt so good in my life :lol:
exsanguinator

Return to Ground Game