Close
Login
Register

Strength/Speed/Conditioning for Grapplers/Fighters

Conditioning, one of the most important aspects of your training. Strength, everyone needs it. Discuss what works for you?

Strength/Speed/Conditioning for Grapplers/Fighters

Postby 808_Hawaii » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:27 am

I understand that there is a lot of information out there in regards to how us grapplers / fighters should train. As a fellow competitive grappler I know through my mentor, coaches, education and self testing, the main components to a training routine.

First we will talk about good ole weight training. For us athletes we want to focus on strength and power more so then size like the typical bodybuilder. IF you are trying to bulk up say to another weight class then do the following routine in the 6-12 reps 75-85% 1RM to maximize muscle hypertrophy (growth). If not, you want to stick with heavy weights, compound movements for optimal strength gain without the extra mass. We absolutely should not be doing split body parts unless we are bodybuilders.

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench Press / Weighted Push Ups 3x5
Military Press 3x6-8
Row 3x6-8
Single Leg Exercise 3x8-10
Abdominal/Lower back Exercise 3 sets 10-15

Workout B
Powerclean or Deadlift 3x5
Push Press 3x5
Weighted Dips 3x8-10
Pull Ups 3xAs many as possible
Romanian Deadlifts 3x8-10
Abdominal/Lower back exercise 3 sets 10-15

I would recommend an A B A / B A B style. For example I do workout A on monday, B on wednesday, A on friday then B monday ect.

Now for the speed and conditioning work. Of course you get a lot of it during you're classes you are going to, but if you want to be a head above the others I would recommend extra work.

To help us be explosive and increase lactic threshold our best bet would be high intensity power movements.
I will list many great options down. Choose 2-4 exercises and depending on your level work and soreness from strength training or classes. Work on these for 20-30 minutes 1-2x a week

-Prowler pushes
-Sled pulls
-Tuck jumps
-Box jump
-Explosive pushup ( Clapping pushups ect )
-Battle ropes
-Tire flips
-Short sprints
-Hill sprints

There is so many more exercises that are great and if you have any questions please drop a comment below.

PS. If I am forgetting something or feel like somethings wrong please just let me know. Thank you guys! :grin:
Last edited by 808_Hawaii on Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BJJ Blue belt
Certified Personal Trainer (NASM)(NPTI)
Certified Speedblast trainer
Certified Kettlebell trainer
Check out my basic Strength and Conditioning for MMA/BJJ
strength-speed-conditioning-for-grapplers-fighters-t123418.html
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Re: Strength/Speed/Conditioning for Grapplers/Fighters

Postby 808_Hawaii » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:15 pm

biscuitsbrah wrote:Cool basics thread. My workouts are very similar to this except id say dips and weighted pushups are superior to benching. I would also add in some hamstring work like RDL's or Good Mornings.
As for the cardio you forgot sprints and hill sprints, but this is generally good advice for a beginner

Very good points bro. Fellow hawaiian in the building chee!!

Added those things in. Appreciate the comments
BJJ Blue belt
Certified Personal Trainer (NASM)(NPTI)
Certified Speedblast trainer
Certified Kettlebell trainer
Check out my basic Strength and Conditioning for MMA/BJJ
strength-speed-conditioning-for-grapplers-fighters-t123418.html
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Re: Strength/Speed/Conditioning for Grapplers/Fighters

Postby CoffeeEnemasBrah » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:41 pm

Cool basics thread. My workouts are very similar to this except id say dips and weighted pushups are superior to benching. I would also add in some hamstring work like RDL's or Good Mornings.
As for the cardio you forgot sprints and hill sprints, but this is generally good advice for a beginner
CoffeeEnemasBrah
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: Formerly biscuits69

Return to Conditioning and Strength Training