Close
Login
Register

Slamming during training?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Slamming during training?

Postby korr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Hi guys :) I have just started training no gi bjj. I was wondering if slamming your partner to escape is ok? Is it just bad form/etiquette to do so? I have not done it and have not seen anyone in class do it either. They will pick up and put down, but never slam.
korr
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Slamming during training?

Postby Bad Luck » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:34 am

korr wrote:Hi guys :) I have just started training no gi bjj. I was wondering if slamming your partner to escape is ok? Is it just bad form/etiquette to do so? I have not done it and have not seen anyone in class do it either. They will pick up and put down, but never slam.

Don't slam your opponent, that's douchebaggery to the fullest. Plus you can't do that in any tournaments, learn to defend the sub like a good boy.
Bad Luck
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby korr » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:59 am

Thanks for clearing that up :)
korr
White Belt
White Belt

Postby ghostdude8 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:01 pm

are you talking about during practice or in a tournament? i wouldn't want to slam your partner your training with, wouldn't want to piss off a guy who's just training with you. tournaments i'm not sure, some tournaments don't allow you to slam your oppenent. also you look like a douche if you do, there's ways to escapes submission attempts without dropping your oppenent on his head.
ghostdude8
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Former P4P Champ

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:52 pm

slamming will get you disqualified in almost any tournament
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Stand-up_Philosopher » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:53 pm

I picked up guys by instinct or as a joke. Then I set them down slowly and soft on the mat.

Don't be a jerk.
"The human body is a submission waiting to happen." - Erik Paulson

GS GIMG
Stand-up_Philosopher
5th Professional Linker Victory
5th Professional Linker Victory

Postby FiLoSoFeM » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:03 pm

ive gotten in trouble for slamming i dont do it hard its just to scare people and let go of their submission attempts and ive done some neck crannks and my instructors have gotten mat at that so dont try any of them
FiLoSoFeM
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby stevenalexander84 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Slamming some times can just make things worse some times. Just work on technique on getting out or not putting your self in that position.
ImageImage
stevenalexander84
White Belt
White Belt

Postby DimMak » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:26 pm

Aside from what has already been said, slamming is really just an ignorant attempt to handle something that the person doesn't understand. It tries to replace technique with brute force. You won't learn anything and you'll put your partners at risk. Save it for the competitions that allow it. But it's always okay to ask your instructors if something is acceptable in a gym.
DimMak
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Solace » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:53 am

I got slammed by some kid in my no gi class because he got caught in a triangle. There is really only two reason I can think of to slam somebody in training, desperation and/or you fell cool doing it. Either way he still tapped and still got told not to do that shit in Jitz. Try to find technical ways out first they have better outcomes with slamming its like 50/50 chance of success getting free versus making the sub tighter.
Image Image
http://www.tapology.com/i/1573< Another good mma site
Solace
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Postby mrfurlupple » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:29 am

FiLoSoFeM wrote:ive gotten in trouble for slamming i dont do it hard its just to scare people and let go of their submission attempts and ive done some neck crannks and my instructors have gotten mat at that so dont try any of them

you sound exactly like someone i don't want to spar with.
mrfurlupple
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:22 am

Slamming/neck cranks only make you look like an asshole that no one wants to roll with... so don't do it.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby SlamYouOnYourAss » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:56 pm

I slam my buddy if we are play fighting.. I don't know about the gym's you train in or what their rules are. But f that, let em rip! lol The only reason I do deadlifts is so I can pick dudes up and give em some air time. It's fun but don't hurt the guy, scare him a little and he will tap out mid air lol ^.^
SIG BET RECORD

1-0-0
SlamYouOnYourAss
White Belt
White Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:42 am

SlamYouOnYourAss wrote:I slam my buddy if we are play fighting.. I don't know about the gym's you train in or what their rules are. But f that, let em rip! lol The only reason I do deadlifts is so I can pick dudes up and give em some air time. It's fun but don't hurt the guy, scare him a little and he will tap out mid air lol ^.^

You are not someone that I would want to roll with in the gym. Also there are some guard passes that require you to deadlift your opponent that don't end in you slamming them.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby SlamYouOnYourAss » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:04 pm

I am not a psycho partner or anything.. I just like to use my strength. :o
SIG BET RECORD

1-0-0
SlamYouOnYourAss
White Belt
White Belt

Next

Return to Ground Game