Close
Login
Register

Shoulder lock?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Shoulder lock?

Postby MMA_STAR » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:36 am

When I first started watching MMA, I came across a fight called UFC 36 - Frank Mir vs Pete Williams
When i saw what Frank had done I immediatley fell in love with Jiu-Jitsu. I watched the rest of his fights and was hooked on both Mir and Jiu Jitsu. Me and my friends were all drunk and submission wrestling one day and I pulled that shoulder lock off on one of my drunken opponents. He was stunned. I was happy.

My question is: Why isn't this submission used more frequently in the UFC and other MMA orgs? I always see openings for it and no one even attempts it. Any reasoning behind this?
HW - Frank Mir
LHW - Anderson Silva
MW - Vitor Belfort
WW - GSP
LW - Sean Sherk

MMA_STAR
White Belt
White Belt

Re: Shoulder lock?

Postby gnarkill » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:34 pm

was it an omoplatta?
gnarkill
White Belt
White Belt

Postby pwnophob » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:02 am

gnarkill wrote:was it an omoplatta?

Adam "pwnophobia" Cogswell
pwnophob
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby exsanguinator » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:25 pm

MMA_STAR wrote:When I first started watching MMA, I came across a fight called UFC 36 - Frank Mir vs Pete Williams
When i saw what Frank had done I immediatley fell in love with Jiu-Jitsu. I watched the rest of his fights and was hooked on both Mir and Jiu Jitsu. Me and my friends were all drunk and submission wrestling one day and I pulled that shoulder lock off on one of my drunken opponents. He was stunned. I was happy.

My question is: Why isn't this submission used more frequently in the UFC and other MMA orgs? I always see openings for it and no one even attempts it. Any reasoning behind this?

It's never used because it's not all that useful.When you first learn something all that you know are the basics and then as you get more and more advanced you start learning all of these amazing techniques and then when you reach the top level all you use are the basics.

I think that was a once in a life time sub for MMA and we'll never see it again.

Another question you can ask is when someone has the mount and begins to pound on a guy and the other guy puts his arms out to stop it, why does the top guy keep punching him when an armbar would be a much better way to finish the fight? Some fighters just don't think of it at the time. Today in class I was trying to break a guys grip to arm bar him and I couldn't do it, he was much stronger than I was. Eventually I had to let it go. A couple minutes later I realized all of the nasty stuff I could have done to him in that position. I just didn't think about it when I was actually rolling.
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
exsanguinator

Postby pwnophob » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:46 am

exsanguinator wrote: when you reach the top level all you use are the basics.

I agree with this. I wrestled a lot longer than I have been practicing jiu jitsu so you'll see me make a lot of wrestling anaologies. Anyway...if you watch the freestyle Olympics they all use the basic double leg and single leg take down. Why? Because they have the highest percentage rate.

In an interview Mir said he was trying to set his opponent up for another triangle and just happened to catch his arm so he finished it from there. I've used the Mir lock in class on a few people but I'd rather transition into rubber guard or use the hook to control them then possible losing it while they pull out.
Adam "pwnophobia" Cogswell
pwnophob
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby FiLoSoFeM » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:06 pm

ive done this move a few times some people give them to you in jiu jitsu when there trying to guard pass and stack its good to catch people unaware of it just as elbow locks and bicep locks
FiLoSoFeM
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Legitsu » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:40 am

i have had it used on me by my instructor but i can never pull it off my self tho. sweet move btw
Daniel Cormier=Black Fedor=BLEDOR! (copy rited term)

Sigbet record
2-2

Deathclutch is tapout for fat people.
Legitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Return to Ground Game