Close
Login
Register

Sam's Westside log

Want to share your work out? this is the place to do it.

Sam's Westside log

Postby sammcl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Right, 'linker's deleting of the logs came at a time where my interest in 5/3/1 was waning, so I decided to do something different.

What I've come up with, is a hybrid of Ed Coan's bench routine and the Surovestky deadlift cycle. As for squats and overhead work, I'll either do Coan's squat routine, or do something myself, I'm undecided as of right now.

Day 1 - Surovestky day 1 (light pulls), Coan heavy bench, chins and a horizontal pulling movement.

Day 2 - Squats and assistance, probably abs too.

Day 3 - Clean and Jerk, Close grip bench, incline bench

Day 4 - Surovetsky heavy pulls, Coan light bench, Weighted chins and dips.

That's what it looks like right now.

Any squat routines would be handy if you have them, but I'm not even going to consider Sheiko or Smolov.
Last edited by sammcl on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sig Bets: 1 - 0
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Week 1, Day 1 (8.11.2010)

Postby sammcl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Surovetsky week 1, day 1, light pulls

70%x5x5
155kg/342lbsx5x5 - done with no belt, and was ridiculously easy.

Coan Heavy Bench
87.5kg/193lbs 2x10 - also done with no wraps/belt etc, and also ridiculously easy.

Chins
Bodyweight x 5 x 8 = 40 reps

T-Bar Rows
60kg/132lbs x 10
80kg/176lbs x 10
100kg/220lbs x 7 - these hurt my knee, won't be doing them in future, DB rows all the way.
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Re: 12 Weeks of mayhem.

Postby KC Masterpiece » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:35 pm

Nice mate, good to see Coan in there somewhere.

I hadn't heard of the Surovetsky program but it looks fantastic. A lot like C/P but maybe a little less volume? Is the assistance work done sequentially or is it a circuit?

Are you shooting for around 260 for your DL PR at the end of the cycle?

I think the consensus for C/P is to do maintenance work for squats and little else--i.e. don't push it ... at all. I don't know what you're squat stance is like, but if you squat wide and pull sumo, a DL program like that has been known to increase your squat on its own.

Good shit!
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece
Deputy Director Masterbro

Postby sammcl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:59 am

KC Masterpiece wrote:Nice mate, good to see Coan in there somewhere.

I hadn't heard of the Surovetsky program but it looks fantastic. A lot like C/P but maybe a little less volume? Is the assistance work done sequentially or is it a circuit?

Are you shooting for around 260 for your DL PR at the end of the cycle?

I think the consensus for C/P is to do maintenance work for squats and little else--i.e. don't push it ... at all. I don't know what you're squat stance is like, but if you squat wide and pull sumo, a DL program like that has been known to increase your squat on its own.

Good shit!

There's no assistance work specified, so I'll just do chins and a horizontal pulling movement on Mondays with the light pulls, and something like face pulls on Wednesday and heavier chins on Sunday.

If I hit a 240 pull at the end of it, I'd be happy, 260 would be phenomenal, I'd like that over the next year, had I not had the knee surgery, no doubt I'd be there now, but I kinda needed it.

I pull conventional (not by choice) and I squat close enough for a guy of my height, I'll get some vids up later.
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby sammcl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:08 am

Update:

Will be running this for squats:

http://joeskopec.com/coancalc.html

Basically it's a squat routine based on Coan's bench cycle. Will hopefully put my comp squat near the 500lb mark.
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Week 1, Day 2

Postby sammcl » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Ed Coan Squat routine - should see me up to 5 plates a side in 14 weeks.

135kg/298lbs 2x10

These were done onto a 12" box with a plate on top of it. Used a belt for set 2

Front Squats
60kg x9
70kg x8
80kg x6/6
100kg x3 - PR

Made an honest effort at getting comp depth on these, but it hurt. I'll get there though. Weight wasn't great either, but I'll get it, I'd imagine I'll be knocking out 100kg for 10 soon.

Leg curls

Half stack 3x12

Hanging leg raises
2x10
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:46 pm

How are things going? I reckon you're around week 3/4?
MurderfaceMMA wrote:A few years ago i was downloading all the UFCs from torrent sites. One day my internet was shut off, and when i called the provider, they said the UFCs lawyers called and got an injunction to shut down my internet.

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece

Postby sammcl » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:08 pm

KC Masterpiece wrote:How are things going? I reckon you're around week 3/4?

Sorry, been very, very busy with college and gigging with my band.

I'm about to finish week 5.

Deadlifted 501lbsx3x1 today, technically a PB cos I've only done it before for one set of one. Felt easy, should be pulling 240-250kg or 530-550+ lbs.

How are you?
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:05 pm

Nice work on the pull, man. Looks like things are going well with your programming. How is the Coan squat progression going? Things are alright; I'm ready to be done with SS and I've been brainstorming a lot about what to do for 2011.

I'm thinking of starting off with Cressey's 7 week Neanderthal No More program--I can see myself benefitting from that significantly. Once that's done, back to strength training proper with 12 weeks of Coan's DL and Bench program, with light maintenance work for squats and less light for OHP both via 5/3/1 (though I may just do light 5x5 for squats). If that all goes well, I'll ride out 5/3/1 for the rest of the year (roughly 5 cycles).

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece

Postby sammcl » Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:56 pm

KC Masterpiece wrote:Nice work on the pull, man. Looks like things are going well with your programming. How is the Coan squat progression going? Things are alright; I'm ready to be done with SS and I've been brainstorming a lot about what to do for 2011.

I'm thinking of starting off with Cressey's 7 week Neanderthal No More program--I can see myself benefitting from that significantly. Once that's done, back to strength training proper with 12 weeks of Coan's DL and Bench program, with light maintenance work for squats and less light for OHP both via 5/3/1 (though I may just do light 5x5 for squats). If that all goes well, I'll ride out 5/3/1 for the rest of the year (roughly 5 cycles).

Ditched Coan squats, I hated it, and I didn't seem to get much carryover.

Still working, just been very busy with college, and playing in a band atm (http://www.facebook.com/MadisunMusic if anybody's interested) and stuff like that, so I've been struggling to find time to go, nevermind posting it.

Link to that program if you have one?

I've taken Surovetsky and put it on my free squat. Still going with pulls, need to pull 530ish tomorrow, and squat 135x5x5 and do might light bench, which is going well actually, I just don't like it for squats.
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby sammcl » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:37 pm

Finished Coan's bench program today, or at least the bench part, I still have the Incline, CGBP and light days to go, but I hit what it said I would (a little higher actually).

Workout looked like this:

132.5kgx1
140kgx1
60kgx2x20
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby JohnKG » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:49 pm

sammcl wrote:Finished Coan's bench program today, or at least the bench part, I still have the Incline, CGBP and light days to go, but I hit what it said I would (a little higher actually).

Workout looked like this:

132.5kgx1
140kgx1
60kgx2x20

Nice. Glad to see you hit higher than expected.
VOTE JOJO FOR MOD
JohnKG
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby sammcl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Monday's training:

Ed Coan Heavy Bench (cycle 2, week 1):

95kg/209lbs x 2 x 10 - very easy, as it should be I suppose.

Russian Deadlift (week 1, day 1)
80% x 6 x 2

192.5kg/424lbs x 6 x 2 - solid

45 Degree decline crunches in between DL sets:
Bw x 6 x 10

Chins/Dips
Bw x 3 x 10 on both to finish
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby sammcl » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:28 pm

1.2.2011 - Hypertrophy Arms

Was at a bit of a loss regarding what to do here, so I shamelessly took Arnold's comp prep arm program from his Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 42 sets for bis/tris, with some slightly different exercises in places. Almost certainly not the best thing to have done, but I enjoyed it.

Superset (4x10)
EZ bar curl
Overhead EZ bar extension

Tri-set (4x10)
DB hammer curl
Skull Crushers
Reverse EZ curls

Tri set (4x10)
Rolling DB extensions
Incline DB curls
Reverse grip pushdown

Superset (4x10)
Overhead dumbbell extension
Concentration curl

Tricep pushdowns 2x10
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby KC Masterpiece » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

I shamelessly took Arnold's comp prep arm program from his Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding, 42 sets for bis/tris

dear god :lol:

ImageImage
KC Masterpiece

Next

Return to Workout Logs