Close
Login
Register

Rolling with bigger dudes

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Rolling with bigger dudes

Postby Pulverizer15 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:39 pm

I have much more technique than alot of the guys in my gym but most are bigger and stronger than me. I almost never get tapped by these guys but catching them is pretty hard. Any of you guys have some techniques that work really well against bigger dudes?

So far, my turtle guard is impenetrable against big oafs but its not conducive for offense. Any other ideas?
Pulverizer15
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Re: Rolling with bigger dudes

Postby TTY » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:17 pm

all i can really say is make sure to stay on top with them i notice most big guys on there back are kinda screwed
TTY
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Pulverizer15 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Its just so frustrating when big guys obviously use there size in order not to lose, whereas whenever Im rolling against anyone who has a disadvantage I work purely on technique. What is there a correlation between dumb people and big egos?
Pulverizer15
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Bad Luck » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:29 am

Pulverizer15 wrote:What is there a correlation between dumb people and big egos?

You sound butthurt about not being able to sub people bigger than you. Maybe you should work on your ego.

Just sayin'
Bad Luck
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Pulverizer15 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:32 am

Bad Luck wrote:
Pulverizer15 wrote:What is there a correlation between dumb people and big egos?

You sound butthurt about not being able to sub people bigger than you. Maybe you should work on your ego.

Just sayin'

You have never been frustrated? I just don't like it when people go 100% in training ALL of the time, especially when they are much larger than their opponent. It's completely unnecessary. I don't mind getting tapped, shit I don't mind getting tapped often, as long as I'm learning. But when a guy 100 pounds heavier than me leans on me for 6 minutes with a front headlock I get frustrated. Not much learning comes from that. Now, Do I have to work on my ego? Probably, but I'm pretty sure everyone in the world has to constantly work on their ego and keep it in check.

However, the purpose of this thread was to ask the people on this site if they had any technical advice, that I may benefit from. You provided nothing, but I would really like to see if you have anything useful, considering you can apparently tap people bigger than you with ease.
Pulverizer15
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby Bad Luck » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:03 am

I was just bustin your balls man, calm down. Chances are your technique isn't as superb as you think it is if it's that ineffective against bigger guys. Find the positions you're struggling with bigger guys and drill them with bigger guys, also, I've found omoplatas from pretty effective when rolling against bigger people, a lot of times you won't be able to get them but more often than not you'll be able to scramble on top.
Bad Luck
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Pulverizer15 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:28 am

Bad Luck wrote:I was just bustin your balls man, calm down. Chances are your technique isn't as superb as you think it is if it's that ineffective against bigger guys. Find the positions you're struggling with bigger guys and drill them with bigger guys, also, I've found omoplatas from pretty effective when rolling against bigger people, a lot of times you won't be able to get them but more often than not you'll be able to scramble on top.

Never said my technique was superb, in fact I never said it was very good at all, just better than some of the bigger dudes I roll with. I'll try the omoplata idea, I usually stick to butterfly guard to keep distance but I'll try anything.
Pulverizer15
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby TTY » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Pulverizer15 wrote:Its just so frustrating when big guys obviously use there size in order not to lose, whereas whenever Im rolling against anyone who has a disadvantage I work purely on technique. What is there a correlation between dumb people and big egos?

yea id agree with the other guy when he says just work on the technique but instead of doing it on a bigger guy do drills with a smaller guy then slowly try to do drills with bigger guys. drills make all the difference. then eventually work it in while ur rolling
TTY
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Classicbjj » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:52 pm

white belts r the heavy bags of the jiu jitsu world. like everyone else said drill drill drill. drill till no white belt can stop u then try blue belts. its tuff to say but if someone has close to the same knowledge as u or close to the same technique but r just bigger and/or stronger than u, ur probably not gonna have much success without TONS of practice on escaping to counter to another counter.

to ur point on egos, eddie bravo said it best, big dudes r big, like being big and like to dominate. they will always have a good top game cuz of their size, ask ur bigger training partners to work off their back with u. nothing wrong with practicing being ontop too!!
DEADPOOL > ALL
Classicbjj
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Return to Ground Game