Close
Login
Register

RIP Sweetpea

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

RIP Sweetpea

Postby SpeakEasy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Sad day y'all, very sad day.
https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/7/15/20694554/pernell-whitaker-dead-age-55-traffic-accident-boxing-news
:-(

In an awful way to kick off a Monday, I regretfully to have to write this story. One of the most legendary fighters of modern times, Pernell ‘Sweet Pea’ Whitaker (40-4-1, 17 KOs), was killed last night after being struck by a car while crossing a Virginia Beach street. Whitaker was 55 years old.

It’s being reported that the incident took place shortly after 10 p.m. on Sunday evening at an intersection between Northampton Boulevard and Baker Road, where responding officers found Whitaker’s body after having been struck by a vehicle. Whitaker died on the scene of the accident, and while the police have not yet publicly identified the man who struck Whitaker with his vehicle, it’s being said that he stayed at the scene and spoke to local authorities.

Whitaker will always be remembered as one of the most transcendent boxing talents there ever was. For whatever he may have lacked in power, he more than made up for in sheer skill and defensive ability — often mentioned to be one of the best defensive fighters to ever live.

Pernell Whitaker v Andrey Pestryaev
Over the course of Whitaker’s Hall of Fame career, which spanned from 1984 to 2001, he’s been in with the likes of Roger Mayweather, Azuma Nelson, ‘Buddy’ McGirt, Felix Trinidad, Oscar De La Hoya, and of course Julio Cesar Chavez who had an 87-0 professional record at the time. That’s only to name a few, though.

In 1990 Whitaker knocked out Juan Nazario in only one round to become the first undisputed lightweight champion since Roberto Duran. A couple of years later he would move up to junior welterweight where he would win another world title by outpointing Rafael Pineda. The following year Whitaker would move up again, this time to full on welterweight, where he would again win another world title by beating Buddy McGirt in 1993 to take the WBC belt.

His next fight would probably be regarded as his most legendary and controversial one, when he took on the undefeated Julio Cesar Chavez in September of 1993.

Pernell Whitaker v Julio Cesar Chavez
Whitaker and Chavez would battle to a majority draw on the cards, but the overwhelming feeling was that Whitaker clearly deserved to win the fight on points — so much so that when the official decision was read, even the pro-Mexican crowd erupted in a hail of boos.

In his later years Whitaker would take on boxing’s ‘Golden Boy’ in Oscar De La Hoya, dropping a unanimous decision in another debatable contest that seemed wider on the cards than it actually was in the ring.

De La Hoya V Whitaker
Whitaker’s last fight came in 2001 and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 2006, his first year on the ballot. By the time he was finished Whitaker had won world titles in four different weight classes, became undisputed at lightweight, won lineal titles at both lightweight and welterweight, and reached the #1 pound-for-pound ranking by RING magazine from 1993-1997.

Ring Magazine Cover - Pernell Whitaker
Whitaker left a huge legacy in the sport, one I certainly can’t easily do justice in writing, so I’m thinking that instead of mourning the loss of an all-time great, we celebrate his life and accomplishments instead.

What are some of your favorite memories of ‘Sweet Pea’? Share down below...
"A lion is called a king of beasts,
obviously for a reason."
SpeakEasy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Oct 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: July 2017

Re: RIP Sweetpea

Postby SpeakEasy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:45 pm

Man could walk through the rain and not get wet.
obviously for a reason."
SpeakEasy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby philphan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:38 pm

I'm so fucking high.
Linker MMA Video Vault
Daniel Cormier, Weili Zhang, Darko Stosic, Colby Covington, Devonte Smith

3 Time Gina Winner :gold: :gold: :gold:
300-0 sig bet record!!!!!!!!!!
philphan

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Mar/Apr 2017, Dec 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Oct 2017
Linker's First Tag Team Champion (with Bluntz)
Survivor
Pick-Em Champion: July 2019

Postby DeceptaCon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:20 am

How the fuck does this happen? Its not just some random guy crossing the road. Its fucked up, the man is a legend.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon
10th Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Pillar of Linker
Fantasy C-League Champion: Feb/Sep 2016, Apr 2018
Survivor

Postby Mr Meow » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:48 am

Fuck this breaks my lil kitty heart

Whittaker was the man. The best defensive boxer ever (yes better than Mayweather my recency bias friends!) and was a guy who should be in the top 20 for best boxers ever, top 25 at the least

Got robbed by Ramirez in the first fight, got robbed by Chavez in the draw, not robbed but I think beat Oscar De La Cocaine.

He beat so many damn hall of famers its ridiculous. Made absolute legends like Azumah Nelson look like amateurs.

RIP to one of the greatest ever in the history of boxing. Gone far far too soon.
Officially 8-2 in sig bets. *pats back* 5 time A league champion. :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold: :gold:
Mr Meow
3rd Professional Linker Victory
3rd Professional Linker Victory

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: Nov 2015, Dec 2015, Jan, Apr 2016, May 2016, Nov 2016
Fantasy B-League Champion: Apr 2017, Feb, 2018, Nov 2018
Highest Overall Fantasy Score 2016
Survivor (x3)
First Linker to Successfully Defend Survivor Belt

Postby bwawm » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:43 am

RIP man-Sweatpea was the shit
bwawm
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby Junior Dos Santos » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Wow this is fucked up. RIP lege
"You gotta kill me in this mug"
ImageImage

2-0
JD-ICE - Elite 8 Tag Team Champs!!
Junior Dos Santos
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby SpeakEasy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:30 pm

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/16/pernell-whitaker-obituary
During debates about who is the best boxer of all time, the former four-weight world champion Pernell “Sweet Pea” Whitaker is sometimes overlooked. He was not a fearsome puncher, nor was he a braggart who commanded headlines in the era before social media when newspaper reporters treasured outrageous quotes to sell a fight. But his peers always rated him among the sport’s elite.

Whitaker, who has died aged 55 after being hit by a car while crossing a road in his hometown of Virginia Beach, Virginia, was an Olympic gold medallist for the US at the Los Angeles games of 1984, after which he turned professional, first becoming a world champion as a lightweight in 1989. He eventually quit boxing in 2001, having fought in a total of 23 world title contests, of which he lost only three and drew one, in hugely controversial circumstances against the Mexican fighter Julio César Chávez.
One of his beaten opponents was the Scot Gary Jacobs, who challenged Whitaker for the WBC welterweight title in Atlantic City in August 1995. Jacobs had reigned as a British, Commonwealth and European champion but, like so many others, found Whitaker’s southpaw style and brilliant defensive skills almost impossible to fathom and he lost widely on points.

After learning of his old adversary’s death, Jacobs said: “If you want to learn boxing, watch his fights. His ringcraft was just incredible. He was so clever. He was almost impossible to hit cleanly. His skills were truly remarkable. People talk about great fighters, particularly at lightweight with men like Roberto Durán and Floyd Mayweather, but I think that he was the best of the lot.

The former world heavyweight champion George Foreman said: “It was like watching a cat with boxing gloves. The best balance I ever saw in a boxer.”
Born in the tough Virginia coastal city of Norfolk, best known for its military bases, Pernell was one of seven children. His parents, Raymond and Novella, encouraged their son to pursue sports and he first went to a boxing gym aged eight, when it was quickly apparent that young Pernell had an aptitude for it. He was known to his family as Pete, after one of his uncles, and at an early boxing show, Whitaker’s mother had been calling out the name “Sweet Pete” only to see it misreported in a local newspaper as “Sweet Pea”. Ever thereafter, it seems, the name stuck.

Whitaker claimed to have had more than 500 contests as an amateur before his Olympic success. In 1984 he was captain of a US team that included Evander Holyfield, Mark Breland, Meldrick Taylor and Frank Tate, all medallists who would go on to become professional world champions.

Whitaker turned pro under the promotion and management of the Duva family, and was trained by the extrovert patriarch Lou. After a run of 15 straight wins, he lost on a dubious points decision in a world lightweight title challenge in France in 1988, but scored a convincing points victory over Greg Haugen to become the IBF lightweight champion the following year.
The win marked the beginning of Whitaker’s era of glory. By the time he fought Chávez in 1993, in front of a 60,000 crowd at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, he had recorded 17 straight victories and had been a world champion at three weights – lightweight, super lightweight and welterweight. Defending the WBC welterweight title against a man who was undefeated in 87 professional contests, Whitaker was awarded a majority draw in an outrageous judging decision when virtually every ringside expert believed Whitaker had won clearly. Whitaker’s verdict was unequivocal: “I whipped his ass.

In 1995 he took the WBA super welterweight title, but alcohol and drug problems blighted the later stages of his career. After losing his welterweight world title on points in another disputed decision to Oscar De La Hoya in 1997, he was banned from the sport after testing positive for cocaine, and lost again on points in 1999 to the Puerto Rican Félix Trinidad in his comeback for a final world title contest. In all, Whitaker won 40 pro fights, lost four and drew one with one no contest.
After retiring, he worked sporadically as a coach. He was sent to prison in 2003 for violating the terms of a probation order imposed for cocaine possession. As the fortune he earned in boxing was frittered away, he once more was in the headlines in 2014 when he won a court order to have his mother and two of his siblings evicted from a house he had bought 30 years earlier so that he could sell the property to cope with his mounting debts.

His marriage, to his childhood sweetheart, Rovanda Anthony, whom he wed in a boxing ring in Virginia Beach in 1985, ended in divorce. He is survived by his mother, and by three sons, Dominique, Dantavious and Devon, and a daughter, Tiara. Another son, Pernell Jr, predeceased him.

• Pernell Whitaker, boxer, born 2 January 1964; died 14 July 2019
obviously for a reason."
SpeakEasy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby SpeakEasy » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:06 pm

Being an MMA forum we should have an ad memoriam page or 3 or 4 separate pages, one for boxing, wrestling/WWE, kickboxing and MMA.

Mr Meow wrote:Fuck this breaks my lil kitty heart

Whittaker was the man. The best defensive boxer ever (yes better than Mayweather my recency bias friends!) and was a guy who should be in the top 20 for best boxers ever, top 25 at the least

Got robbed by Ramirez in the first fight, got robbed by Chavez in the draw, not robbed but I think beat Oscar De La Cocaine.

He beat so many damn hall of famers its ridiculous. Made absolute legends like Azumah Nelson look like amateurs.

RIP to one of the greatest ever in the history of boxing. Gone far far too soon.

Easily top 3 favourite fighter ever, I can honestly say I've never envied a fighting style more
Figured this would make you feel like someone else shit in your litter box too
obviously for a reason."
SpeakEasy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby hawdrigoh » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:07 pm

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

hawdrigoh
6th Professional Linker Victory
6th Professional Linker Victory

Postby DeceptaCon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Are you ready for the last great deception?
DeceptaCon

Fantasy C-League Champion: Feb/Sep 2016, Apr 2018
Survivor

Postby TFlock » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:23 pm

waiting for linker "Sweet Pea Is My Mom" to post
August A League Fantasy Team
Daniel Cormier
Weili Zhang
Robbie Lawler
Claudio Silva
Andre Soukhamthath

ImageImage
Spoiler:
TFlock

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: May 2017, July 2018, Jan/Feb/Mar 2019
Fantasy B-League Champion: June 2018
Survivor
First Linker to Hold Two Gaming Commission Belts in the Modern Era

Postby SpeakEasy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:22 am

TFlock wrote:waiting for linker "Sweet Pea Is My Mom" to post

Wasn't that Tot?
I'd assumed his mother drowned him while bathing him years ago
obviously for a reason."
SpeakEasy
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby 320IDAVE » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:46 am

SpeakEasy wrote:

Wasn't that Tot?

Terrible feeling for Pernell though, no one could barely hit the guy and he gets slept by a 1.5 tonne moving piece of metal.

Yes Tflock fucking Tott spoiled that name for me.

Good riddance to the cunt.
320IDAVE
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby PBells » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:17 am

SpeakEasy wrote:

Wasn't that Tot?

It is stressful raising a special needs child.

On-Topic post:
I'm familiar with the name but really don't know anything about his career. Always tragic when someone goes out like this, though. We really never know when the day will come. Rest in peace.
PBells

Accolades: Fantasy A-League Champion: July 2017, June 2018
Fantasy B-League Champion: Sep. 2016
Fantasy C-League Champion: June 2016
Pick-Em Champion: May 2019 (Inaugural), June 2019

Return to MMA Discussion