Close
Login
Register

Prospect Watch: Max Nunes

UFC, Bellator, Invicta, M-1, One FC, KSW, World Series of Fighting, and many more

Prospect Watch: Max Nunes

Postby Mikal » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:58 am

Record: 10-0 (5 KO/TKO, 5 Sub)
Light Heavyweight

Code: Select all
Record
W - Marcin Lazarz - TKO (Punches and Elbows) - Rd 3
W - Kevin Thompson - TKO (Punches) - Rd 1
W - Tony Moran - Submission (Triangle Choke) - Rd 1
W - Brett Cole - TKO (Punches) - Rd 1
W - Iain Martell - Submission (Triangle Choke) - Rd 2
W - Shane Fourie - TKO (Punches) - Rd 1
W - Milad Mahmoodi - TKO (Punches) - Rd 1
W - Grant Murray - Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) - Rd 1
W - Alex Wilkinson - Submission (Armbar) - Rd 1
W - John Rutherford - Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) - Rd 1

Stockholm native Max Nunes had never done any type of martial arts. But a local school was on his way home, and he always seemed to be walking by when practice was in session.

Eventually, curiosity led him to walk into the school, where he took a class. The subject of the day was the armbar; he learned the joint lock, and instantly he fell in love with the sport.

"I'd never done anything like that before," Nunes told MMAjunkie.com Radio (http://www.mmajunkie.com/radio). "I fell in love with learning new stuff all the time."

Max Nunes is a 6'4 athletic Swede who, in 10 fights, has only had two opponents make it past the first round. Nunes stayed very active last year racking up a total of 6 fights, predominantly in UCMMA and BAMMA. The interesting thing about Nunes is, prior to MMA, he never had any martial arts training. If you want to bring up the definition of 'new breed,' one could say that Max "Power" Nunes falls right under that category - a fighter who has trained nothing but MMA since his fighting career began. However, even more interesting is that Nunes started training only 4 years ago.

Despite never being a huge fan of MMA until he first trained it just before he turned 20, Nunes found himself idolizing both Anderson Silva and Shinya Aoki, which I guess shows in his finish rates of 5 KO/TKO's and 5 submissions.

Standout Interview:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/max-nunes- ... --mma.html

Code: Select all
 With a 9-0 professional MMA record, 24 year-old Max Nunes has established himself as one of the best light-heavyweights in the U.K. right now (currently ranked third).

Nunes isn't just an undefeated fighter, he's also a relentless finisher, stopping eight of his nine opponents in the first round. The lone adversary to last more than five minutes against Nunes inside the cage, Iain Martell, succumbed to a triangle choke 46 seconds into the second round.

"That's my style," Max told me during a recent conversation. "I don't go for decisions, I go for stoppages."

Nunes isn't a one-trick pony either, with four wins coming via knockout and the rest via submission. If he continues to make his opponents look like amateurs inside the cage, he'll find himself fighting the best fighters in the world sooner rather than later.

Max wasn't always interested in MMA, in fact, he dreamt about becoming a professional basketball player during his teenage years. However, Nunes found mixed martial arts about four years ago, a passion that led him to leave his native Sweden for the greener MMA pastures of the U.K.

"I moved because back in the day MMA wasn't so big in Sweden… there weren't as many opportunities to compete compared to what it was in England at the time," Nunes said.

With no prior background in combat sports, or other organized sports for that matter, Nunes started his amateur MMA career in 2010. His amateur debut didn't exactly go as planned, as he ended up getting knocked out by Joe Cooper during the first round of their "FS - Fight Stars 1" bout.

"First fight, I had no experience whatsoever. I didn't really want to do it," Nunes explained. "I had never been in front of a crowd like that, just by myself. It was surreal. It was like you have no control over your body… I had never watched an MMA fight before that, never even been to one."

The devastating loss would have been enough to make a lesser man reconsider his decision to earn a living inside the cage, but it only strengthened Nunes' resolve. The shell-shocked, dazed guy who showed up that fateful night has never been seen again, replaced by a vicious finisher.

Max is currently set to face undefeated Marcin Lazarz on March 9 at BAMMA 12, and he plans to add another dominant performance to his record when the two square up at the Metro Radio Arena in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

"To be honest I don't know that much about him," Nunes said about his upcoming opponent. "I tend to not research [my opponent] so much. A fight is a fight to me. I always train hard and I always take my opponents seriously. So it doesn't matter if he's undefeated or has the worst record ever."

Nunes plans to make quick work out of Lazarz at BAMMA 12, and he's confident it won't be his "0" that goes on March 9.

"Stoppage… that's what I plan to do in this fight as well," Max said without hesitation. "It doesn't matter if it's a submission, knockout or TKO, but I predict a stoppage."

Given his success inside the cage, Max has positioned himself nicely in the light-heavyweight rankings. If he continues to dispatch his opponents in impressive fashion, it's only a matter of time before he ends up in the UFC.

"I just want to take it [MMA] as far as I can take it," Nunes added.

+Strength
=Needs Improvement
-Weakness (needs serious improvement)

+ Striking
+ Aggression
+ Active Guard
+ Confidence
=? Wrestling defense
? Cardio

* =? indicates that it's untested but I speculate it could use work

Nunes is a very well rounded fighter with excellent hands, clinchwork and an excellent submission game. I do question his wrestling defense and cardio as both are rather untested, but his athleticism seems to help him with the wrestling-learning curve. In his recent fight Nunes made it to round 3 and was able to pull off a TKO finish against Marcin Lazarz at BAMMA 12 and still looked rather fresh, but I would still like to see more of him in the later rounds.

Nunes is one of the most well rounded prospects making his way in the 205 pound division, and I look forward to his next fight.

- - - -
Previous Prospect Watches:
Vitaly Minakov || Sergio Pettis || Cosmo Alexandre
Adam Khaliev || Denis Smoldarev || Dhiego Lima
- - -
Last edited by Mikal on Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
= = =
Mikal's Top 25 Throwback Fights of All Time || Dagestan & Chechen MMA ||
Newest Prospect Watch: Max Nunes (updated: April 14th, 2013)
MMALinker's Discovered Prospects List || The Jacare Souza vs Roger Gracie BJJ Rivalry
= = =
Lost my Mark Hunt account bet. Not making a new account. Been fun, Linker! I'll be around chat on fight nights sometimes.
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Re: Prospect Watch: Max Nunes

Postby RebelSaki » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:15 am

I really like the ratings system you've incorporated Mikal. Makes the whole "prospect" asepct more legitimate in these threads. Makes you somewhat like an MMA scout.

Great work, Nunes is definitely intriguing and I'll be keeping tabs.
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Creator of TIO

Postby Anthotis » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:17 am

I saw his last fight. I don't remember being that impressed.

July 6th 2013: The Great Weid Hope defeated prime Anderson Silva fair and square via Bowel Releasing KO
Anthotis
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby RebelSaki » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 am

Maybe add physical tools to your ratings? Max is particular is gifted with a long, muscular physique which no doubt can help with leverage and range.

For such a fresh face on the fight scene he seems to be pretty advanced in the clinch & takedown defense against the cage. Speaks to a short learning curve which is a great tool for any fighter. Good balance for a tall fighter too.
Now that we're gettin somewhere, you know we got to give back. For the youth is the future no doubt that's right and exact. Squeeze the juice out of all the suckers with power. And pour some back out, so as to water the flowers.
Image Image
RebelSaki
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Creator of TIO

Postby warriorxv » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:23 am

These prospect threads are always a awesome read. I just don't have the time in my day to search up prospects / watch enough random MMA to pick up on some of these names. Threads like this make it much easier and get right to the point.

Thanks, Mikal.
warriorxv
6th Degree Black Belt
6th Degree Black Belt

Postby Mikal » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:38 pm

Anthotis wrote:I saw his last fight. I don't remember being that impressed.

I'd agree that his last fight was his least impressive out of all of them, but it's hard not to be impressed with a guy this young with only 4 years of MMA training and no prior martial arts training with his record, abilities, and finishes. Remember these are for prospects, not established fighters :biggrin:

Glad y'all enjoy it!
= = =
MMALinker's Discovered Prospects List || The Jacare Souza vs Roger Gracie BJJ Rivalry
= = =
Lost my Mark Hunt account bet. Not making a new account. Been fun, Linker! I'll be around chat on fight nights sometimes.
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Mikal » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:40 pm

RebelSaki wrote:I really like the ratings system you've incorporated Mikal.

Yeah, it was requested by some people that I give them some more information on the guys so I figure that'd be a good start. I'm probably going to go back to the previous threads and edit them and then re-bump them for people -- just showing a highlight video and posting their names was a rather lazy way to go about things.
= = =
= = =
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby A Level 1 Noob » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:08 pm

Ye i have Max on my list too. I thought for sure he would of been on the Sweden card

The Real LW Sig Bet Champion Image
#FreeThiago
A Level 1 Noob
Sig Bet Grand Prix Champion

Postby Mikal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:12 am

Realid3a wrote:Ye i have Max on my list too. I thought for sure he would of been on the Sweden card

Ah shit! Didn't mean to double up like that.

Definitely a bit of a surprise that the UFC didn't try and pick him up for that, but no one knows how they operate since it makes no sense half the time :lol:
= = =
= = =
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby A Level 1 Noob » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:32 pm

Mikal wrote:
Realid3a wrote:Ye i have Max on my list too. I thought for sure he would of been on the Sweden card

Definitely a bit of a surprise that the UFC didn't try and pick him up for that, but no one knows how they operate since it makes no sense half the time :lol:

:lol: ye they do stupid shit sometimes a lot of times. the only thing i would add is that his hands and striking defense isn that good and needs work. he has good kicks tho. he's more of a take you down and GnP you then a striker

The Real LW Sig Bet Champion Image
#FreeThiago
A Level 1 Noob

Postby Mikal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Realid3a wrote:
Mikal wrote:

:lol: ye they do stupid shit sometimes a lot of times. the only thing i would add is that his hands and striking defense isn that good and needs work. he has good kicks tho. he's more of a take you down and GnP you then a striker

Thanks for the input; I'll go over more of his fights and look for more on his striking.

Now go to my Vitaly thread :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
= = =
= = =
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Bluntz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 am

Ive heard the same and he hasnt beaten anyone with a name.
92-29-2

Bluntz wrote:
Jojo wrote:I'm not even gonna ask you if you're high, because clearly you are :lol: :lol:

(then again, so am I)

This

Bluntforce: 2-0
Team Bets: 3-0
Image Image
Bluntz
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: 1st Ever MMALinker Prediction Showdown Winner (Gold), MMALinker Sweet 16 Tourny Champion, 2013 6th MMALinker Grand Prix Champion, First Linker Tag Team Champion (with philphan), Linker March Madness Champion

Postby Mikal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:30 am

BluntzNBongz wrote:Ive heard the same and he hasnt beaten anyone with a name.

Hence the whole being a 'prospect' thing :biggrin:
= = =
= = =
= = =
Mikal
9th Degree Black Belt
9th Degree Black Belt

Postby Bluntz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:56 am

Ik but I still usually see a name I recognize or someone Ive heard of.
92-29-2

Bluntz wrote:
Jojo wrote:I'm not even gonna ask you if you're high, because clearly you are :lol: :lol:

(then again, so am I)

This

Bluntforce: 2-0
Team Bets: 3-0
Image Image
Bluntz
Red Belt
Red Belt

Accolades: 1st Ever MMALinker Prediction Showdown Winner (Gold), MMALinker Sweet 16 Tourny Champion, 2013 6th MMALinker Grand Prix Champion, First Linker Tag Team Champion (with philphan), Linker March Madness Champion

Return to MMA Discussion