Close
Login
Register

The Butt Scoot: Acceptable or Cowardly?

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

The Butt Scoot: Acceptable or Cowardly?

Postby DimMak » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Don't know the rules of the forum yet, I was gonna use profanity instead of "cowardly." My coach absolutely hates butt scoots. He doesn't allow any of us to do it. I think the main thing is that his career was heavily in the MMA scene rather than being strictly a pure grappler. The focus in our grappling is for MMA. What's your opinion on tactical ass walking?
User avatar
DimMak
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: The Butt Scoot: Acceptable or Cowardly?

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:08 pm

im assuming by ass scoot you mean chasing your opponent while he is standing...im okay with it in a pure grappling setting, but id never do it. i wrestled for 15 years before switching over to BJJ so id much rather stand up as well and look for the take down. as for MMA... definitely not. its just plain dumb in MMA IMO
User avatar
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus
 
Posts: 6924
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: The Butt Scoot: Acceptable or Cowardly?

Postby DimMak » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 am

Yeah, that's what I was talking about. I do remember Miguel Torres doing it in the fight before Bowles. Not too many people can get away with doing that in MMA though.
User avatar
DimMak
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: The Butt Scoot: Acceptable or Cowardly?

Postby ghostdude8 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 am

in grappling it's quite common but for MMA i guess people don't like it. i mean if i had a really good guard, why not lol
ghostdude8
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 11633
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:52 pm
Accolades: Former P4P Champ

Re: The Butt Scoot: Acceptable or Cowardly?

Postby exsanguinator » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:26 am

ghostdude8 wrote:in grappling it's quite common but for MMA i guess people don't like it. i mean if i had a really good guard, why not lol


Agreed. The fight takes place on the floor for a grappling match so obviously sitting down is where you want to be. Some guys with a great guard will butt scoot to bait their opponent but if I were one of those guys I would rather be working on ways to take someone down or pulling guard than butt scooting. That butt scooting is a good thing to work on, don't get me wrong, it has many applications (ie butterfly guard) but it's not what you wanna use for a take down. Think of what someone on the street would say if you were about to fight him and you just sat down?
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
User avatar
exsanguinator
 
Posts: 11182
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Re: The Butt Scoot: Acceptable or Cowardly?

Postby ghostdude8 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:13 am

exsanguinator wrote:
ghostdude8 wrote:in grappling it's quite common but for MMA i guess people don't like it. i mean if i had a really good guard, why not lol


Agreed. The fight takes place on the floor for a grappling match so obviously sitting down is where you want to be. Some guys with a great guard will butt scoot to bait their opponent but if I were one of those guys I would rather be working on ways to take someone down or pulling guard than butt scooting. That butt scooting is a good thing to work on, don't get me wrong, it has many applications (ie butterfly guard) but it's not what you wanna use for a take down. Think of what someone on the street would say if you were about to fight him and you just sat down?


well the chances of someone dropping to there ass in a street fight is very low; no one can be that dumb. also the butt scoot isn't made for takedowns, it's used so your oppenent gets in your guard and you work for a sweep; why attempt a takedown on someone who's a better wrestler than you and get taken down and get behind by 2 points? i would rather just sit on my ass and try to see if the other guy is cocky enough to just go to the ground.
ghostdude8
4th Professional Linker Victory
4th Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 11633
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:52 pm
Accolades: Former P4P Champ

Re: The Butt Scoot: Acceptable or Cowardly?

Postby exsanguinator » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:30 am

ghostdude8 wrote:
exsanguinator wrote:
ghostdude8 wrote:in grappling it's quite common but for MMA i guess people don't like it. i mean if i had a really good guard, why not lol


Agreed. The fight takes place on the floor for a grappling match so obviously sitting down is where you want to be. Some guys with a great guard will butt scoot to bait their opponent but if I were one of those guys I would rather be working on ways to take someone down or pulling guard than butt scooting. That butt scooting is a good thing to work on, don't get me wrong, it has many applications (ie butterfly guard) but it's not what you wanna use for a take down. Think of what someone on the street would say if you were about to fight him and you just sat down?


well the chances of someone dropping to there ass in a street fight is very low; no one can be that dumb. also the butt scoot isn't made for takedowns, it's used so your oppenent gets in your guard and you work for a sweep; why attempt a takedown on someone who's a better wrestler than you and get taken down and get behind by 2 points? i would rather just sit on my ass and try to see if the other guy is cocky enough to just go to the ground.


I think that we are arguing for the same side with each other using completely different words :lol:
We all need some place we can go away to, some place where we can be who we should have been instead of who we are.
User avatar
exsanguinator
 
Posts: 11182
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!


Return to Ground Game

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users