Close
Login
Register

Sambo Base

Wrestling, jujitsu, ground and pound or submit your opponent for the victory

Sambo Base

Postby red_donn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:20 pm

The system I am currently most interested in studying is Combat Sambo, and I've found a couple of schools for it in the Bay Area. However, I got to school in San Luis Obispo, where no training in Sambo is available. At the moment it looks like my two options are Judo (of currently unknown quality) or kickboxing (good quality). There is submission wrestling and a Gracie Barra school in the area, however they offer their classes on Tues/Thurs during the evening, right in the middle of my school classes. :evil:

I utterly refuse to attend a McDojo, but understand that there may be some inherent risk in going to a Judo school of unknown quality even if I look into their background and training. Currently I am working can work on boxing with a friend of mine and am in excellent shape - working out an average of 2 hours a day 7 days a week. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions of which school I should more likely attend. Judo seems to make the most sense to me both to build a grappling base and because it is generally considered easier to learn striking, but would love input especially from those with Sambo experience.

Basically the question is - solid kickboxing vs unknown Judo as a base for MMA/Combat Sambo? I'll notice if it's an obvious McDojo, but if it takes a couple of months to find out I might be screwed out of my money.
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
User avatar
red_donn
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Re: Sambo Base

Postby j-flights » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:41 am

where in the bay can you study sambo? all im worried about is the price.. im BROKE
Learn at the ryu train at home.
j-flights
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:33 am
Location: Union City CA

Re: Sambo Base

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:22 am

man id love to train sambo someday. if it was me, id check out the judo school's credentials and if its a good school go for it. from what ive seen of sambo it seems like more grappling than striking
User avatar
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus
 
Posts: 6924
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: Sambo Base

Postby red_donn » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:02 am

j-flights wrote:where in the bay can you study sambo? all im worried about is the price.. im BROKE


There are two schools, one in SF (Cali Combat Sambo) and one in Emeryville (Russia Combat Sambo Training Center). The one in SF is run by an officer of the American Sambo Association, who has had seminars and the like, and looks extremely legit. The other one has less information out on it, but looks very good and trains both MMA and Sambo people.

Cali Combat Sambo is easy to search for, but here's a URL that has info on the Emeryville one, which is harder to find info on: http://www.subfighter.com/academy.php?op=showac&acid=303
Liked this post? Check out the best writers from our very own Linker at "The Sheep's Pen"
User avatar
red_donn
1st Professional Linker Victory
1st Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 8690
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Re: Sambo Base

Postby j-flights » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:38 am

thanks for the info. ill check it out!
Learn at the ryu train at home.
j-flights
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:33 am
Location: Union City CA

Re: Sambo Base

Postby Zeus » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:57 pm

ThirdCoastCombat wrote:man id love to train sambo someday. if it was me, id check out the judo school's credentials and if its a good school go for it. from what ive seen of sambo it seems like more grappling than striking


Yeah it basically is. I train mostly just the leg lock systems of Sambo but I also train some of the stand up. We actually have a stand-up chain that goes from Sambo to Wing Chun to Muay Thai and then to BJJ. Sambo is a VERY good asset to anyones game. Especially for grappling. Like my teacher always says, our BJJ is how we'll always beat beginners, but Sambo is how we'll beat the experts. BJJ guys just aren't preparted for the far more advanced leg locks of Sambo.

My advice is to try very hard to get into Sambo. It's a complete martial art and therefore makes for a great base.
"A man who does not fall, does not stand up."

-Fedor
User avatar
Zeus
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:45 pm

Re: Sambo Base

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:43 pm

Zeus wrote:
ThirdCoastCombat wrote:man id love to train sambo someday. if it was me, id check out the judo school's credentials and if its a good school go for it. from what ive seen of sambo it seems like more grappling than striking


Yeah it basically is. I train mostly just the leg lock systems of Sambo but I also train some of the stand up. We actually have a stand-up chain that goes from Sambo to Wing Chun to Muay Thai and then to BJJ. Sambo is a VERY good asset to anyones game. Especially for grappling. Like my teacher always says, our BJJ is how we'll always beat beginners, but Sambo is how we'll beat the experts. BJJ guys just aren't preparted for the far more advanced leg locks of Sambo.

My advice is to try very hard to get into Sambo. It's a complete martial art and therefore makes for a great base.

yeah theres a school here that teaches it, but money and time are the problem. when i have more of those two, im definitely gonna check it out
User avatar
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus
 
Posts: 6924
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Re: Sambo Base

Postby ACLtear » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:40 am

Their are not alot of sambo school's in the u.s
I live in florida and it's only one legit sambo school here in the whole state! and it's
ran by Coach Carlos. And he's apart of the american sambo association under Coach SamboSteve.
But I know their are some school out their in cali. :D
ACLtear
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:19 am

Re: Sambo Base

Postby Ireallyshot2pac » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:35 am

red_donn wrote:The system I am currently most interested in studying is Combat Sambo, and I've found a couple of schools for it in the Bay Area. However, I got to school in San Luis Obispo, where no training in Sambo is available. At the moment it looks like my two options are Judo (of currently unknown quality) or kickboxing (good quality). There is submission wrestling and a Gracie Barra school in the area, however they offer their classes on Tues/Thurs during the evening, right in the middle of my school classes. :evil:

I utterly refuse to attend a McDojo, but understand that there may be some inherent risk in going to a Judo school of unknown quality even if I look into their background and training. Currently I am working can work on boxing with a friend of mine and am in excellent shape - working out an average of 2 hours a day 7 days a week. I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions of which school I should more likely attend. Judo seems to make the most sense to me both to build a grappling base and because it is generally considered easier to learn striking, but would love input especially from those with Sambo experience.

Basically the question is - solid kickboxing vs unknown Judo as a base for MMA/Combat Sambo? I'll notice if it's an obvious McDojo, but if it takes a couple of months to find out I might be screwed out of my money.




Judo tend to not have too many McDojo's, the easist was too tell is by how much they compete since it is a sport. And ya Judo should help a lot. I don't know much about Combat Sambo, but in Sport Sambo they do not allow chokes so you might not have too much training for chokes.
Ireallyshot2pac
White Belt
White Belt
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:10 am

Re: Sambo Base

Postby FiLoSoFeM » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:09 pm

ive adapted some things of sambo and added it to my jiu jitsu games it helps a lot because in jiu jitsu they dont teach to u to defend these moves because to them their is always an escape and that jiu jitsu is the only syle of grappling thats good but to me its bs i add a lil of everything to my grappling game
User avatar
FiLoSoFeM
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:00 am
Location: los angeles


Return to Ground Game

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users