Close
Login
Register

Boxing Technique tips

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Postby Jinzo » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:49 pm

The power of the punch comes from the feet then the ASS. Yep your gluts is your biggest muscle in your body, put it to good use.

Invest in a double end bag. Watch how Sugar Shane trains with it at the end of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IPb_sp4A1s

Make sure you install it correctly.

Double Bag Work out by
World Champion Marco Antonio Barrera

"The double-end bag teaches you to bob and weave, slip and duck, while keeping your hands up and moving your head. The key to being a good boxer is hand speed and timing. If you can master the double-end bag, you will have the edge over your opponent."

Get To Work
3 rounds, 1 minute rest between each round using the Everlast Personal Boxing Timer

Round 1 - Hit the bag slowly getting a good rhythm. Orthodox boxers, start with a left jab. Repeat this 15 times. Then from the neutral position throw a left jab followed by a straight right hand, which is called a 1-2. Repeat 15 times. Alternate between both punches for the first round focusing on rhythm and technique.

Round 2 - Orthodox boxers, start with a left jab, when the bag comes back toward you, bend your knees and move your head and torso to the left, keeping your hands up. This is called a slip. Repeat this 10 times. Next, from the neutral position throw a 1-2 combo this time bending your knees and moving your head and torso to the right, avoiding the bag as it comes toward you. Repeat this 15 times. Alternate combinations and slips throughout the round. Continually circle the bag in both directions as you practice your technique.

Round 3 - Orthodox boxers, start with a left jab. When the bag comes back towards you squat down, touching your elbows to your knees. Once the bag has passed over you, come back up with a right uppercut. An uppercut punch comes from waist and arcs forward straight in front of your body. After the uppercut, take a step backward and start over again. Repeat this 10 times. Next practice a 1-2 combo, duck down touching your elbows to your knees, then come back up with a left uppercut. Repeat this 10 times. Alternate both combinations throughout the round. Continually circle the bag in both directions as you practice your technique.
Image
User avatar
Jinzo
Red Belt
Red Belt
 
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: California

Postby born2ball11 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:02 pm

deff. need to learn to i kno a guy who had 4 ameature fights and hes teaching me a little but the only boxing place i got around me is up at university blvd. which is the hood just a terrible place lol
User avatar
born2ball11
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:49 pm

Postby JRS3 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:38 pm

Turn over your punches to have less give in them. Manny Steward said that Hearns didn't have any power until he learned to do this.

Keep your eyes on your opponent's chest. You could read his punches better than from looking at him face to face.

Practice correct form with proper balance. One thing I see newbies do is they try to hard to impress others. They wing wild punches to show off their power or they don't use full extension to have faster punches. The truth is they're not impressing anybody and just developing bad habits.
JRS3
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:26 pm

Re: Boxing Technique tips

Postby xyououtx » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:46 pm

be like water
xyououtx
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:23 pm

Re: Boxing Technique tips

Postby rainmakr » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:02 pm

boxing when used in MMA is a little different in terms of stance and technique. So I am going to keep my ideas about it to the pure form of boxing.

Punches should be straight and effective, punch with your entire body, I was once told that my toes should bite the canvas, try to stay light on your feet but 'bite' when you are throwing punches. Movement is key, boxing is about making the other guy miss as much as it is about hitting him. Work to your strengths, box, find your range and build upon it. Learn to keep your hands up by holding a glove under your arm and only throwing punches with other hand. conditioning conditioning conditioning.
Use a mirror, see what your are doing, get your technique right by shadow boxing before you transfer that to the bag and eventually the ring.
Use a training dummy for combinations, learn to hit something other than a bag.
ask a trainer to help you on pad work, learn some combinations and stick with the ones that come naturally to you. Spar and learn in the spar.
Déanta in Éireann
User avatar
rainmakr
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:14 am
Location: NJ formerly Armagh, Ireland

Re:

Postby riddlesumbrella » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:39 am

Oldtoby420 wrote:Watch some Ali fights & take notes.

I've always heard this how Ali fought & if I believe correctly Bruce Lee said the same thing.

When throwing a punch move your entire body with it don't just stand there & punch limiting your reach & effectiveness of the force behind the punch.

1. It tranfers your body weight along with the punch to give it that extra amount force behind your punches.

2. When you throw punches while moving towards your oponent with your body instead of hitting them while just standing in the same position & them only catching the end of the force of your punch in your follow threw they will catch your punch mid way into it while you continue to put more force behind it catching the entire force of it while you follow threw their body with the ending part of the punch.

3. Imagine I stand there & hit you in a boxing fight chances are you catch the end of my arm extension when the glove hits you meaning you don't feel the full force of my punch just the end of it. Now Imagine I put my entire body into it while moving towards you with a punch you catch the punch midway along with the force of my transfering body weight & my punch has yet to reach it's full extension still, then finally the punch extends to it's full length after already connecting with your body which will produce more damage to your oponent when they catch the full force of your punch going threw their body.

This is what I have heard & read about both these guys plus it's just basic science that your punch has more energy behind it while your arm is bent then when it fully extended & you exert the last bit of energy behind it.

Plz some1 correct me if I'm wrong.


Actually you are dead wrong, the end of the punch is the most powerful way to hit someone, because thats all of the force getting pushed right into their brain. If you throw the punch properly then you won't hit them "halfway through building up power" that's just stupid, because you can only hit someone once with one strike, so logic says its better to hit them right at the end of the punch where its most powerful, not halfway like you said.
Duh.
riddlesumbrella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Re:

Postby mikepiv » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:07 pm

riddlesumbrella wrote:
Oldtoby420 wrote:Watch some Ali fights & take notes.

I've always heard this how Ali fought & if I believe correctly Bruce Lee said the same thing.

When throwing a punch move your entire body with it don't just stand there & punch limiting your reach & effectiveness of the force behind the punch.

1. It tranfers your body weight along with the punch to give it that extra amount force behind your punches.

2. When you throw punches while moving towards your oponent with your body instead of hitting them while just standing in the same position & them only catching the end of the force of your punch in your follow threw they will catch your punch mid way into it while you continue to put more force behind it catching the entire force of it while you follow threw their body with the ending part of the punch.

3. Imagine I stand there & hit you in a boxing fight chances are you catch the end of my arm extension when the glove hits you meaning you don't feel the full force of my punch just the end of it. Now Imagine I put my entire body into it while moving towards you with a punch you catch the punch midway along with the force of my transfering body weight & my punch has yet to reach it's full extension still, then finally the punch extends to it's full length after already connecting with your body which will produce more damage to your oponent when they catch the full force of your punch going threw their body.

This is what I have heard & read about both these guys plus it's just basic science that your punch has more energy behind it while your arm is bent then when it fully extended & you exert the last bit of energy behind it.

Plz some1 correct me if I'm wrong.


Actually you are dead wrong, the end of the punch is the most powerful way to hit someone, because thats all of the force getting pushed right into their brain. If you throw the punch properly then you won't hit them "halfway through building up power" that's just stupid, because you can only hit someone once with one strike, so logic says its better to hit them right at the end of the punch where its most powerful, not halfway like you said.
Duh.


thats chi talk.

what toby's trying to say is that putting your hips and entire shoulder into a punch while pivoting your back foot, there is more force transfered than if you just snap the punch as you would do in karate. by your logic, catching a quick snapping cross in the face would knock you out cause its, as you say, at the "end of the punch", and you seem to think thats where all the power is. its not. most of the force is usually transferred a little after the halfway through extension of the arm. its the same logic as when they tell you to imagine punching through your target, aiming for something behind it, not aiming at the actual target. if you had ever done any power training with a heavy bag, youd know what toby's talking about. im not 100% sure what you mean by 'hitting someone at the end of a punch', but it sounds to me like youre talking about karate-type snapping punches, and the truth is theyre not that powerful. theyre great for breaking noses and teeth (if your knuckles are well conditioned enough) but they aint gonna turn anyone's lights off as effectively as a boxing cross thrown the way toby was talking about.
Image
User avatar
mikepiv
Orange Belt
Orange Belt
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:30 pm

Re: Re:

Postby riddlesumbrella » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:11 am

mikepiv wrote:
riddlesumbrella wrote:
Oldtoby420 wrote:Watch some Ali fights & take notes.

I've always heard this how Ali fought & if I believe correctly Bruce Lee said the same thing.

When throwing a punch move your entire body with it don't just stand there & punch limiting your reach & effectiveness of the force behind the punch.

1. It tranfers your body weight along with the punch to give it that extra amount force behind your punches.

2. When you throw punches while moving towards your oponent with your body instead of hitting them while just standing in the same position & them only catching the end of the force of your punch in your follow threw they will catch your punch mid way into it while you continue to put more force behind it catching the entire force of it while you follow threw their body with the ending part of the punch.

3. Imagine I stand there & hit you in a boxing fight chances are you catch the end of my arm extension when the glove hits you meaning you don't feel the full force of my punch just the end of it. Now Imagine I put my entire body into it while moving towards you with a punch you catch the punch midway along with the force of my transfering body weight & my punch has yet to reach it's full extension still, then finally the punch extends to it's full length after already connecting with your body which will produce more damage to your oponent when they catch the full force of your punch going threw their body.

This is what I have heard & read about both these guys plus it's just basic science that your punch has more energy behind it while your arm is bent then when it fully extended & you exert the last bit of energy behind it.

Plz some1 correct me if I'm wrong.


Actually you are dead wrong, the end of the punch is the most powerful way to hit someone, because thats all of the force getting pushed right into their brain. If you throw the punch properly then you won't hit them "halfway through building up power" that's just stupid, because you can only hit someone once with one strike, so logic says its better to hit them right at the end of the punch where its most powerful, not halfway like you said.
Duh.


thats chi talk.

what toby's trying to say is that putting your hips and entire shoulder into a punch while pivoting your back foot, there is more force transfered than if you just snap the punch as you would do in karate. by your logic, catching a quick snapping cross in the face would knock you out cause its, as you say, at the "end of the punch", and you seem to think thats where all the power is. its not. most of the force is usually transferred a little after the halfway through extension of the arm. its the same logic as when they tell you to imagine punching through your target, aiming for something behind it, not aiming at the actual target. if you had ever done any power training with a heavy bag, youd know what toby's talking about. im not 100% sure what you mean by 'hitting someone at the end of a punch', but it sounds to me like youre talking about karate-type snapping punches, and the truth is theyre not that powerful. theyre great for breaking noses and teeth (if your knuckles are well conditioned enough) but they aint gonna turn anyone's lights off as effectively as a boxing cross thrown the way toby was talking about.


uh no mate, I'm a boxer, not some Karate sensei, and no, by my logic catching someone with a cross at the end of the punch where it fully extends wouldn't knock you out, but it would do more damage than hitting them half-way to extension which is what Toby is saying. I agree completely about the hip and shoulder, that's common knowledge, no-one can argue about that, You're just not getting what I'm saying.

A hook is a different story to say a cross or a straight because those require a snap right at the end, which is where its most powerful, however a hook does not, so it will do damage no matter where it connects and at any stage of the punch.

And to quote Jim McDonnell after Nicky Cook knocked out Chris Jickels with a perfect one two, "Oh and he caught him right at the end of the punch where it's most powerful".

And he was right.
riddlesumbrella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:35 pm

Re: Boxing Technique tips

Postby gigica1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:53 am

move your hips and generate force with your whole body. and never stay in the same place. Watch how Tyson moves. He punches with his whole body....just poetry..and yeah...join a class. Practice beats theory...
User avatar
gigica1
Black Belt
Black Belt
 
Posts: 2993
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:03 am

Previous

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users