Close
Login
Register

Freddie Roach To Become Ricky Hatton's New Trainer?

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Postby batangastig » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:42 pm

by James Slater -
http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=20025&more=1

According to a shocking news article that has appeared as an exclusive on RingTalk.com and has since been picked up by a number of other boxing web sites, trainer of the hour Freddie Roach will become the new trainer of a certain Ricky Hatton very soon! According to the breaking story put out by RingTalk.com, a "stunning announcement is forthcoming.."

Not only is this claim a real shocker, the fact that Hatton has, apparently, made the decision to box on is also something of a surprise. For one thing, Ricky sure made his mind up quickly - especially when you bear in mind the fact that "The Hitman" was starched by Manny Pacquiao less than five weeks ago and that the Manchester warrior said himself that no-one should go expecting any rapid decision from him about whether or not he will fight on.

Another surprise (assuming the news is in fact wholly correct), is the fact that Roach would agree to work with a fighter who he said only recently should think about hanging 'em up. This will be the third different man Hatton has had training him. First it was the man who discovered him, Billy Graham. Then the father of the first man to defeat him was brought on board, in Floyd Mayweather Senior. Now the trainer of the fighter who annihilated him is being brought in.

It's easy to see why Hatton has looked at Roach. Freddie's talents have been much publicised and proven many, many times. Who better to have working your corner when you are a fighter in serious need of a career revamp? Then again, as talented and gifted as he is, Roach cannot work miracles. If, as some critics have suggested, Hatton's punch resistance has completely gone, what on earth can the owner of the famous Wild Card gym do about it?

Hatton MAY be taking a lead from fellow Brit Amir Khan. Khan, as we know, had his suspect chin smashed inside a minute by puncher Breidis Prescott last year, and who did he turn to almost immediately afterwards? That's right Freddie. And now, if the claims can be believed, Khan is a much better fighter defensively, and the hit-and-not-be-hit approach drilled into him by Roach will make him a world champion. If anyone can reinvent Hatton as a hard-to-hit boxer, it's Roach. Sure, it would be an even bigger turnaround for Hatton than it has been for Khan - a fighter who always was in possession of sharp skills and slickness - but Ricky did use some more head movement under Mayweather Snr in the win over Paulie Malignaggi.

We have yet to hear any official announcement that he will indeed try, but if Freddie Roach can get Ricky Hatton back to the top, his past achievements may well pale in comparison
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Freddie Roach To Become Ricky Hatton's New Trainer?

Postby Nigelthegreat » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:57 pm

gosh i hope roach trains hatton. he would make a huge comeback for a few fights!
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby supermanpunch » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:03 pm

It's just a rumor, Hatton camp already made a statement that it isn't true, but IMO I think Hatton would do good with Freedie Roach, Freddie doesn't do his work half assed and he just know what to do with punchers, just look at Amir Khan, looked good on his last fight. Big mistake for Hatton to get Big Floyd's help, his fighting style and philosophy is completely different from Big Floyd.
supermanpunch
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Nigelthegreat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:17 am

supermanpunch wrote:It's just a rumor, Hatton camp already made a statement that it isn't true, but IMO I think Hatton would do good with Freedie Roach, Freddie doesn't do his work half assed and he just know what to do with punchers, just look at Amir Khan, looked good on his last fight. Big mistake for Hatton to get Big Floyd's help, his fighting style and philosophy is completely different from Big Floyd.

as a big hatton fan i can pray :lol:

i dont think floyd was a big mistake hatton chose not to take his advice, Floyd Sr is a great senior, everyone was in awh in what he turned de la hoya into and he trains dawson. i just think hatton cant be that defensive.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby supermanpunch » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:24 am

Nigelthegreat wrote:
supermanpunch wrote:It's just a rumor, Hatton camp already made a statement that it isn't true, but IMO I think Hatton would do good with Freedie Roach, Freddie doesn't do his work half assed and he just know what to do with punchers, just look at Amir Khan, looked good on his last fight. Big mistake for Hatton to get Big Floyd's help, his fighting style and philosophy is completely different from Big Floyd.

i dont think floyd was a big mistake hatton chose not to take his advice, Floyd Sr is a great senior, everyone was in awh in what he turned de la hoya into and he trains dawson. i just think hatton cant be that defensive.

Dude De La Hoya looked like crap to me when Sr. trained him :shock: even Mosley agrees and I heard Sr. and Dawson had a falling out, he almost got into a fight with Dawson's bro.
supermanpunch
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Postby Nigelthegreat » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:49 pm

supermanpunch wrote:
Nigelthegreat wrote:

Dude De La Hoya looked like crap to me when Sr. trained him :shock: even Mosley agrees and I heard Sr. and Dawson had a falling out, he almost got into a fight with Dawson's bro.

thats nuts!
when mayweather trained him at first tho everyone was saying how much better de la hoya looked. He actually wanted him back but Mayweatehr commited to hatton. and i read de la hoya's book and he says Mayweather was his favorite of all his trainers and he was the best of all of them.

im not surprised botu the dawson situation.
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby 808_Hawaii » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:13 pm

Roach cant make him better since Hatton wont follow or do anything he learned.

Mayweather Sr trained Hatton to keep his hands up and got taught good defence.

He showed non of that against Pac-man. We saw the usual Hatton with low hands rushing in
BJJ Blue belt
Certified Personal Trainer (NASM)(NPTI)
Certified Speedblast trainer
Certified Kettlebell trainer
Check out my basic Strength and Conditioning for MMA/BJJ
strength-speed-conditioning-for-grapplers-fighters-t123418.html
808_Hawaii
Mod Emeritus

Postby Nigelthegreat » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:35 pm

808_Hawaii wrote:Roach cant make him better since Hatton wont follow or do anything he learned.

Mayweather Sr trained Hatton to keep his hands up and got taught good defence.

He showed non of that against Pac-man. We saw the usual Hatton with low hands rushing in

Yeah but hatton didnt use his old tactics either.
he ussual tactic is to aggressivly move forward but move his head frequently side to side and use a hard stiff jab to gain the inside

he just went in face first, and exposed that pacquiao is much weaker in the inside where he doesnt have. as much as he got DESTROYED, Hatton looked good in the clinch area against pacquiao, Pac-man didnt have any answers, but fighting on the otuside while hatton came in there was no contest what so ever.

Hatton used the tactics he was taught in the malinagi fight, he was slower paced and picked his shots more so
still with a good output but he was looking for openings and ussing different ways to slip punches.
why he did use them in the pacquiao fight is beyond me. the falling out with mayweather before hand may have contributed
Nigelthegreat
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt

Postby Iceman54 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:44 pm

Hatton might win a big fight if he is coached by fredddie
hawdrigoh wrote:Linker is the best site. Hands down. It doesn't need "a chance". Anyone that thinks otherwise can fuck right off.

PBells wrote:
AXEMELL wrote:Dave Mayhew ‏@Creamjack138 17 Jun 2015 View translation
MMALINKER? more like NGRFGTLINKER
Well in that case, fuck him, his wife, and his kid. :lol:
Iceman54
Middleweight Sig-Betting Champion
Middleweight Sig-Betting Champion

Accolades: Hall of Famer, Master Detective, Former HW Champion
April 2016 MMALinker Fantasy B-League Champion
June 2016 MMALinker Fantasy A-League Champion

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.