Close
Login
Register

guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

RIZIN, UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship, PFL, and many more!

guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby therionace » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:14 pm

imo guida will always be a tough fight for anyone, but doesn't have what it takes to ever be champ, especially regarding his stand-up.

any thoughts on one of mma most popular fighters?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with fools."
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
therionace
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:53 pm

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby Icemanfight07 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:18 pm

He prolly pushes a pace like any other... he has great cardio but against good strikers(Roger Huerta) he needs to be much more careful going in for takedowns... he leaves his head open for knees... hes tuff but he aint tuff enough to shake off a good knee.... I believe Clay should get a rematch with Tyson Griffin i say Guida would win... a fight with Gray Maynard would also be a great fight for him right now.... I never see Guida beating Sherk or Penn though ...... i think he could upset Joe Daddy
Favorite Fighters of all time (Liddell/GSP)
HW Arlovski/Hunt/Nelson/Velasquez
LHW Jones/Rumble
MW Belfort/Rockhold
WW Lawler/Brown/Macdonald/Hendricks
LW Lauzon/Cowboy/Pettis
FW McGregor/Edgar/Bermudez
BW Faber/McDonald
FLY Dodson/Cejudo
Women: Rousey/Vanzant
User avatar
Icemanfight07
Black Belt
Black Belt
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Maine

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby SOULDIER » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:27 pm

WRONG This is ajust a wild and outrageous claim to make. I disagree 100 % He's got a long way to go and his heart has won more fights for him than his skill thats for sure, but I do believe he's showing alot of improvment and with his incredible heart great chin unsurpassed cardio ability and his growing popularity (which means more money which means more time to train and improve) then to be perfectly honest the skys the limit with the kid and thats just the truth. Not to mention his weak UFC record has alot to do with the FACT that he won the Griffin fight and the Thomas fight despite what the judges said in my opinion. And the fact that you mention Huertas striking, but Guida outstruck Huerta the whole fight more signs of his improvement. Huerta wasnt even throwing a knee Huerta got damn lucky. I dont think hes gonna be a champ anytime soon, but he is a force to reckoned with and crossing out the possibility that someone with so much potential in every aspect of the game will ever hold a belt espescially in such an unpredictable sport such as MMA is just ignorant. Clay Guida lives in the same world that Matt Serra knocked out GSP anything can happen.


and yes I think GSP is gonna destroy Serra in the rematch so dont go crazy




-JW
something clever
User avatar
SOULDIER
2nd Degree Black Belt
2nd Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 3356
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: TEX

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby therionace » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:30 pm

no, it's not ignorant, but realistic.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with fools."
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
therionace
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:53 pm

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby Icemanfight07 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:31 pm

SOULDIER wrote:WRONG This is ajust a wild and outrageous claim to make. I disagree 100 % He's got a long way to go and his heart has won more fights for him than his skill thats for sure, but I do believe he's showing alot of improvment and with his incredible heart great chin unsurpassed cardio ability and his growing popularity (which means more money which means more time to train and improve) then to be perfectly honest the skys the limit with the kid and thats just the truth. Not to mention his weak UFC record has alot to do with the FACT that he won the Griffin fight and the Thomas fight despite what the judges said in my opinion. And the fact that you mention Huertas striking, but Guida outstruck Huerta the whole fight more signs of his improvement. Huerta wasnt even throwing a knee Huerta got damn lucky. I dont think hes gonna be a champ anytime soon, but he is a force to reckoned with and crossing out the possibility that someone with so much potential in every aspect of the game will ever hold a belt espescially in such an unpredictable sport such as MMA is just ignorant. Clay Guida lives in the same world that Matt Serra knocked out GSP anything can happen.


and yes I think GSP is gonna destroy Serra in the rematch so dont go crazy




-JW


Guida was never outstriking Huerta... haha i have watched the fight a few times and Huerta was winning the standup but there was much of it
Favorite Fighters of all time (Liddell/GSP)
HW Arlovski/Hunt/Nelson/Velasquez
LHW Jones/Rumble
MW Belfort/Rockhold
WW Lawler/Brown/Macdonald/Hendricks
LW Lauzon/Cowboy/Pettis
FW McGregor/Edgar/Bermudez
BW Faber/McDonald
FLY Dodson/Cejudo
Women: Rousey/Vanzant
User avatar
Icemanfight07
Black Belt
Black Belt
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Maine

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby therionace » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Icemanfight07 wrote:
SOULDIER wrote:WRONG This is ajust a wild and outrageous claim to make. I disagree 100 % He's got a long way to go and his heart has won more fights for him than his skill thats for sure, but I do believe he's showing alot of improvment and with his incredible heart great chin unsurpassed cardio ability and his growing popularity (which means more money which means more time to train and improve) then to be perfectly honest the skys the limit with the kid and thats just the truth. Not to mention his weak UFC record has alot to do with the FACT that he won the Griffin fight and the Thomas fight despite what the judges said in my opinion. And the fact that you mention Huertas striking, but Guida outstruck Huerta the whole fight more signs of his improvement. Huerta wasnt even throwing a knee Huerta got damn lucky. I dont think hes gonna be a champ anytime soon, but he is a force to reckoned with and crossing out the possibility that someone with so much potential in every aspect of the game will ever hold a belt espescially in such an unpredictable sport such as MMA is just ignorant. Clay Guida lives in the same world that Matt Serra knocked out GSP anything can happen.


and yes I think GSP is gonna destroy Serra in the rematch so dont go crazy




-JW


Guida was never outstriking Huerta... haha i have watched the fight a few times and Huerta was winning the standup but there was much of it



yeah, the stand-up was very close.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with fools."
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
therionace
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:53 pm

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby Fantomas » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:01 pm

Yeah his standup ain't so great. He presses and is tough but he's got no head movement. Imagine him against BJ he would get hammered. He really needs to improve in that area if he wants to be a contender for champ.
step to this and get shanked up/
ive knocked out so many teeth the toothfairy went bankrupt
Fantomas
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:45 am

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby KingOfPancrase » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Fantomas wrote:Yeah his standup ain't so great. He presses and is tough but he's got no head movement. Imagine him against BJ he would get hammered. He really needs to improve in that area if he wants to be a contender for champ.


I agree but I do see him as championship material way before I see huerta as championship material.
Image
User avatar
KingOfPancrase
2nd Professional Linker Victory
2nd Professional Linker Victory
 
Posts: 9064
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:35 pm
Location: Valhalla
Accolades: Pillar of Linker

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby Damien Crowley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:37 pm

OOOOOOOK

first off guida is my favorite fighter just to give a heads up lol

GUIDA beat griffen BEAT thomas AND GOT COUGHT WITH A LUCKY shot from hurta thats why huerta is training some more he realsed guida basicly destroyed him and needs to train so much more before he can compete again on the level of some one like guida

and his last fight did u hear the fans THEY were freaking out over him ud think it as a rocky movie "GUIDA GUIDA GUIDA!" he has unbeleivable stamina he goes 120 mph for how ever long the match is a great chin solid stand up he does have to play a lil more caution. and a awsome ground game dana white sees his popularity and will give him better and better matches guida knows he must finish fights now.

and in no way is it a fact that he will never reach the top he will some day the only people that realalisticly are higher ranked then him are florian pen and sherk i mean guidas been in alot of wars he has a record of 23-6 u watch 2008 he will buid a 3 or 4 win streak then in 09 WATCH OUT heill get a shot at the title dana cant and wont ignore him. HE ALREADY begane his 08 win streak

so a gatekeeper? HAH yeah right dana white joerogan ufc.com they all say he is a contender and a TOP light weight so deny all u want but he will get a shot


WAR GUIDA!
Damien Crowley
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:57 am

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby therionace » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 pm

Damien Crowley wrote:OOOOOOOK

first off guida is my favorite fighter just to give a heads up lol

GUIDA beat griffen BEAT thomas AND GOT COUGHT WITH A LUCKY shot from hurta thats why huerta is training some more he realsed guida basicly destroyed him and needs to train so much more before he can compete again on the level of some one like guida

and his last fight did u hear the fans THEY were freaking out over him ud think it as a rocky movie "GUIDA GUIDA GUIDA!" he has unbeleivable stamina he goes 120 mph for how ever long the match is a great chin solid stand up he does have to play a lil more caution. and a awsome ground game dana white sees his popularity and will give him better and better matches guida knows he must finish fights now.

and in no way is it a fact that he will never reach the top he will some day the only people that realalisticly are higher ranked then him are florian pen and sherk i mean guidas been in alot of wars he has a record of 23-6 u watch 2008 he will buid a 3 or 4 win streak then in 09 WATCH OUT heill get a shot at the title dana cant and wont ignore him. HE ALREADY begane his 08 win streak

so a gatekeeper? HAH yeah right dana white joerogan ufc.com they all say he is a contender and a TOP light weight so deny all u want but he will get a shot


WAR GUIDA!


actually, i hope you're right. i like his relentless style. but there are so many great fighters in that division that i just was curious if he could advance to the next level.

off-topic: he should tie back his hair! i have long dread-locks and they disrupt my vision ever so slightly. looking straight ahead isn't as impaires as peripheral. even if his vision in a fight is disrupted for a fraction of a second, that's all it takes to get hit.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with fools."
Ernest Hemingway
User avatar
therionace
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:53 pm

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby lostsoul4012 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:01 pm

therionace wrote:
Damien Crowley wrote:OOOOOOOK

first off guida is my favorite fighter just to give a heads up lol

GUIDA beat griffen BEAT thomas AND GOT COUGHT WITH A LUCKY shot from hurta thats why huerta is training some more he realsed guida basicly destroyed him and needs to train so much more before he can compete again on the level of some one like guida

and his last fight did u hear the fans THEY were freaking out over him ud think it as a rocky movie "GUIDA GUIDA GUIDA!" he has unbeleivable stamina he goes 120 mph for how ever long the match is a great chin solid stand up he does have to play a lil more caution. and a awsome ground game dana white sees his popularity and will give him better and better matches guida knows he must finish fights now.

and in no way is it a fact that he will never reach the top he will some day the only people that realalisticly are higher ranked then him are florian pen and sherk i mean guidas been in alot of wars he has a record of 23-6 u watch 2008 he will buid a 3 or 4 win streak then in 09 WATCH OUT heill get a shot at the title dana cant and wont ignore him. HE ALREADY begane his 08 win streak

so a gatekeeper? HAH yeah right dana white joerogan ufc.com they all say he is a contender and a TOP light weight so deny all u want but he will get a shot


WAR GUIDA!


actually, i hope you're right. i like his relentless style. but there are so many great fighters in that division that i just was curious if he could advance to the next level.

off-topic: he should tie back his hair! i have long dread-locks and they disrupt my vision ever so slightly. looking straight ahead isn't as impaires as peripheral. even if his vision in a fight is disrupted for a fraction of a second, that's all it takes to get hit.


ive always wanted dreads...

anywho... i think guida has plenty of room for improvement... he does need to work on his striking and his composure.. sometimes he tends to get a little too aggressive... in short, i think he has the skills to be more than a gatekeeper but a championship run for him would be a long road...
lostsoul4012
4th Degree Black Belt
4th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4467
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:52 am

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby Headhunter » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:26 pm

i'm not a guida fan yet but he's got potential. i'll have to see where he takes his potential in the next year or 2 before i slam the gavel on him. as of right now there are people in his class that IMO are miles ahead of him, no championship for him within the coming months.
Image
Headhunter
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt
 
Posts: 4554
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:47 pm

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby [email protected] » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:42 pm

Icemanfight07 wrote:He prolly pushes a pace like any other... he has great cardio but against good strikers(Roger Huerta) he needs to be much more careful going in for takedowns... he leaves his head open for knees... hes tuff but he aint tuff enough to shake off a good knee.... I believe Clay should get a rematch with Tyson Griffin i say Guida would win... a fight with Gray Maynard would also be a great fight for him right now.... I never see Guida beating Sherk or Penn though ...... i think he could upset Joe Daddy



i agree with alot of wat you said about a griffin that would be a great fight that i would love too see... gray maynard is fuckin huge at 155 and just overpower edgar i would like to see if he can handle guida the same way... he could beat joe daddy even florian.. but sadly sherk and penn are on a completely different level one is mutant strong and the other is mutant flexible and both of them would completely own the carpenter
Elzaf wrote:This Poop Cannon fellow really knows his shit..
[email protected]
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:46 pm

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby rondenelli » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:53 pm

Guida is my fav LW fighter to watch. Is he the BEST fighter, probably not. Does he have a chance to beat anyone on any given day, yes. I have no room to give him advice at all, but with his style of fighting I think he could really integrate leg-locks into his overall gameplan a lot more than he does. His wrestling is top-notch and this is as much a byproduct of his conditioning as his technique. He is always ending up in scrambles and I would like him to look for for leg-locks. He has the ability to get to his feet if he misses on the LL and that is the biggest hole you open up going for these is a reverse.
Image

M-1 Global's Management Team
rondenelli
Green Belt
Green Belt
 
Posts: 628
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:55 pm

Re: guida good, but just a gatekeeper!

Postby Damien Crowley » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:36 pm

people hold some fighters on a unrealalistic pedistal saying no one can beat them

ok then shogun? crocop? matt huges? gsp? the ax murderer? at one time chuck seemed unstopable

i mean to say sherk and bj penn cant be beat or on such a dif level is unrealalistic because 1 they have been beat and 2 any man can beat any other man on any day. by luck and some hart. let alone some one with the skill and potential as guida.

guida is 23-6 and hes only 26 years old hes so young so talented. does he need to improve YES who doesent randy couture is still working on his game A. silva gsp every one needs improvement. is guida ready right now this second for a shot? NO but in another year after 2 or 3 more wins ABSOLUTELY! there are alot of talented lw out there and guida is right up there in the mix for the title

you watch the man has what it takes and years to get there. not that he will need years.

so leave guida alone leave him for who he is a young talented fighter with alot of good skill and room for improvement LIKE EVERY ONE ELS

also i do sparing matches and training and i have LONG hair about the same length as guida and its no bother for me some people can fight with it some cant
Damien Crowley
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt
 
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:57 am

Next

Return to MMA Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users