Close
Login
Register

Amir Khan gets a title shot

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Amir Khan gets a title shot

Postby batangastig » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:52 am

Khan To Battle Kotelnik For World Title

Amir Khan will step up a division to junior-welterweight and challenge WBA titleholder Andreas Kotelnik on June 27.

A venue is yet to be confirmed but Khan is understandably delighted to be fighting for his first world title: "This is the best news that I could have received," said Khan.

"To fight for the world title in only my 22nd fight and at the age of just 22 is fantastic.

"I’ve seen Kotelnik a few times and I’ve always been impressed by him but once my trainer Freddie Roach works out the game plan to beat him it’s my job to execute it on the night as I did effectively against Barrera(Marco Antonio)."

Following his win over Marco Antonio Barrera a few weeks ago promoter Frank Warren sees the Kotelnik fight as just reward.

"This is the moment that Amir has been waiting for and I’m delighted to deliver him the opportunity,” said Warren. “Amir put in a sensational performance against a three time world champion and future Hall of Famer in Barrera in only his 21st fight and now he has to produce the same form against Kotelnik."

German based Ukrainian Kotelnik has fought in Britain three times before. He was out-pointed by Junior Witter for the European title in 2005, was held to a draw against Frenchman Souleymane M’Baye, out-pointed Welshman Gavin Rees for the WBA title in 2008
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Amir Khan gets a title shot

Postby supermanpunch » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:22 pm

Man I'm really weak in following WBA champions, I'm not familiar with that guy and I need to make a research I hope that guy doesn't hit hard. wait..... Amir is going to move to Jr. LW? that's wrong...... he looked good at LW and he enjoys height, reach and size advantage on that weight class... some Jr. LW's hit hard man and that doesn't look good for Khan, hope he goes back to LW.
supermanpunch
3rd Degree Black Belt
3rd Degree Black Belt

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.