Close
Login
Register

Mike Tyson looking for a job in pacquiao's camp

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Mike Tyson looking for a job in pacquiao's camp

Postby batangastig » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:18 pm

everyone has been aware of mike tyson's financial problems, but recently roach recieved a phone call from the boxing legend to request a spot as one of pacquiao's trainers for his upcoming fight with ricky hatton. roach is not sure whether he would take in his old fighter and good friend.
this is a link to the full article:
http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=18867
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Mike Tyson looking for a job in pacquiao's camp

Postby batangastig » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm

BOXER SHORTS
By Ed C. Tolentino
The Moorer, the better

As Manny Pacquiao plunges into Spartan-like training in preparation for his May 2 showdown with Ricky Hatton, a former world heavyweight champion is looking to lend Pacman a helping hand.

Michael Moorer, who enjoyed two reigns as heavyweight champion, has been tapped by head trainer Freddie Roach to assist him in honing Pacquiao for Hatton. Moorer, 41, figures to provide Pacquiao valuable tips, particularly on power punching.

Like Pacquiao, Moorer is a southpaw. The Monessen, Pennsylvania native is actually in the record books for being the first left-handed fighter to win the heavyweight title. Moorer accomplished the feat in April 1992, when he decisioned Evander “Real Deal” Holyfield for the World Boxing Association (WBA) and International Boxing Federation (IBF) heavyweight crowns. Moorer is actually a natural right-hander; grandfather Henry Smith, a former middleweight boxer, taught a young Moorer how to box southpaw figuring it would make his grandson tougher to beat in the ring.

Moorer and Pacquiao do not only have the same fighting stance–both are also certified power-hitters. Pacquiao and Moorer have enough firepower to light up a far-flung barrio. Home Box Office (HBO) boxing analyst Emanuel Stewart, who trained Moorer during his heyday, once described the latter as a “vicious guy by nature.” Steward said a prime Moorer would enter the gym with a Mike Tyson mentality and scream aloud: “I’m gonna take somebody’s head off!”

In a pro career that stretched from 1988 to 2008, Moorer knocked out his first 26 opponents and finished with an overall record of 52-4 with 40 knockouts. Moorer’s knockout percentage is an impressive 70.18 percent.

Moorer, who once said that he “craves violence of any kind,” was also the most feared light heavyweight (175 pounds) during the late 1980s. He held the World Boxing Organization (WBO) light heavy diadem from 1988 to 1990 and posted 10 successful defenses–all by knockout.

It was in the heavyweight division where Moorer began to unravel. He was stopped in 10 rounds by “Big” George Foreman in November 1994 and was never the same fighter. He recaptured the IBF heavyweight title in June 1996 by beating Axel Schulz but lost it a year later in a rematch with Holyfield.

A serious drinking problem hastened the demise of Moorer’s boxing career. In 1989, Moorer and a friend were charged with assault and disorderly conduct for their roles in an altercation between young blacks and whites in the downtown area of nearby Charleroi, Pennsylvania. Two years later, an apparently drunk Moorer was arrested by two police officers for causing a commotion in a basketball game. Moorer resisted arrest and even broke the jaw of Officer Carl Fronzaglio with a howitzer blow.

Moorer is actually a nice guy–when sober, that is. Showtime boxing commentator and noted ring historian Steve Farhood describes Moorer as “unfailingly polite and, while occasionally playful, always respectful.”

In his prime, Moorer drew raves for his ability to score electrifying knockouts using only short punches. “He does so much damage with short punches,” Steward told the May 1989 issue of KO magazine. “I haven’t seen that since [former heavyweight champion] Joe Louis.”

Pacquiao is noted for flattening foes with his left straight. Can you imagine how dangerous the Filipino ring icon would be if he masters Moorer’s uncanny ability to annihilate foes via short punches? Hatton, who loves to fight at close range, would be a sucker for short punches.

Before Pacquiao, Moorer trained unbeaten heavyweight prospect JD “The Natural” Chapman. “Michael stresses every day to educate my left hand,” revealed Chapman.

A destitute Tyson reportedly offered his services as assistant trainer for Pacquiao. Roach opted for Moorer, noting the latter’s previous experience as a trainer.

Of course, let’s not forget Moorer’s “power connection” with Pacquiao.
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Mike Tyson looking for a job in pacquiao's camp

Postby Troy Paulamalu » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:47 am

emd01 wrote:It's a shame that one of the most famous HW champs ever can't even get a job training. Too unstable for a boxing camp imo.

What's even sadder is that he's broke right now. Who would have thought that he could somehow drain ALL that money he had.
Favorite Active Fighters
HW: Ubereem,Velasquez,JDS,Big Nog
LHW: Hendo,Shogun,Machida
MW: Wandy,Jacare,Vitor,Kang,Rumble
WW: GSP,Alves,Kim,Sexyama
LW: BJ,Alvarez,Melendez
FW: Aldo,Bibiano,Jung
K-1: Saki,JLB,Aerts,Hari,Ghita,Ignashov,Spong
K-1 MAX: Petrosyan,Souwer,Zambidis
Troy Paulamalu
Red Belt
Red Belt

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.