Vasquez
No votes
Donaire
100%

Total votes : 1

Who's next for Darchinyan?

Postby batangastig » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Vazquez keen to fight Vic

Israel Vazquez is keen to fight Vic Darchinyan, while the latter's former foe Cristian Mijares will challenge for a bantamweight world title.

After Darchinyan's impressive stoppage victory over Jorge Arce, his promoter Gary Shaw said that he is keen to match WBC/WBA/IBF champion with Vazquez or the man he contested the WBC super bantamweight title so memorably on three occasions, Rafael Marquez.

An eye injury has kept Vazquez out of the ring since his last bout with Marquez but he is expected to soon be given permission to return to the ring and he would be happy for his first contest to be against Darchinyan.

"I'm very interested in a fight with Vic," Vazquez told Boxing Scene. "Vic is a great fighter. A good champion, strong, and I look forward to it. If we can do it, then let's do it."

Both the last man to beat Darchinyan and the fighter he toppled to become the super-flyweight number one have also expressed a desire to meet the in-demand Armenian.

Former IBF super-flyweight champion Mijares, who Darchinyan stopped in nine punishing rounds last year, will fight Nehomar Cermeno for the WBA interim bantamweight title on March 14.

Nonito Donaire, who took Darchinyan's unbeaten record and IBF flyweight title last July, wants to meet the Armenian again after the mandatory defence of his title on March 22 to become a two-weight world champion in his own right.

According to Donaire, Darchinyan: “looked the same, fought exactly the same when I fought him aside from him not being too aggressive as he usually was.

"He is a big force in this weight and I want those three belts,” Donaire added.
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.