Close
Login
Register

Kettlebells?

Discuss the gear and equipment you have used to be successful

Re: Kettlebells?

Postby ScornDefeat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:20 am

Here's an article from a firefighter about how kettlebell workouts help him in his field:

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/436/

Here's a snippet from the article:

After a friend introduced me to kettlebell training, I ordered my own KB along with both the RKC [Russian Kettlebell Challenge] book and video. While just training three times a week, I felt that it was building functional strength, active flexibility, and cardio power. After my initial training sessions I noticed minor pains in my elbows and wrists. They faded as my tendons and ligaments started to strengthen and thicken, adapting to the ballistic shock. You don't get this kind of shock from the health club machines - they teach you to be slow and smooth and have zero impact. That would be OK except for one small thing... REAL LIFE! You get jarred around in real life - if you never train for it, you won't be able to handle it. Controlled ballistic training helps you handle shocks without getting injured as easily and feeling as sore afterward.
ScornDefeat
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby halal pig » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:46 pm

yes there good but i dont see any reason to use them over dumbbells. wat makes a kb any better
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby ScornDefeat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:30 pm

halal pig wrote:yes there good but i dont see any reason to use them over dumbbells. wat makes a kb any better

I'll post a link. I apologize if it seems a bit heavy of the advertising.

http://www.russiankettlebells.com/kb_dominates.html

If I were to name one advantage, I would say that because the bulk of the weight is off-center from the handle, it demands much more strength to control.
ScornDefeat
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Everlast Kettle Bell Weights

Postby Duncan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:35 am

The secret of European and Russian athletes comes to the U.S.

Build explosive power and super strength with the proven results of kettle bell weights. Excellent for all core and trunk exercises. Pack more speed and velocity in punches and sculpt a defined and solid torso that opponents retreat from. Excellent for throws, thrusts, swings, squats, pushes, leverage exercises and more. Three weights to choose from. Sold separately.

.................> I am The Legend <.....................
Duncan
Mod Emeritus

Postby halal pig » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:02 pm

[quote="ScornDefeat"][quote="halal pig"]yes there good but i dont see any reason to use them over dumbbells. wat makes a kb any better[/quote]

I'll post a link. I apologize if it seems a bit heavy of the advertising.

http://www.russiankettlebells.com/kb_dominates.html

If I were to name one advantage, I would say that because the bulk of the weight is off-center from the handle, it demands much more strength to control.[/quote]

im not mad at all about excessive advertising i just wanna kno if these ridiculously expensive weights are worth it when a dumbbell is roughly $1 per pound.
halal pig
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Postby ScornDefeat » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:28 am

halal pig wrote:im not mad at all about excessive advertising i just wanna kno if these ridiculously expensive weights are worth it when a dumbbell is roughly $1 per pound.

Well that's obviously a matter of opinion, and my opinion is Yes they are worth it. However, it would be best to shop around to find a good price. The site I linked before has KB's in great quality, but at a hefty price. You can find some cheaper ones, like Power Systems, but are rougher on the hands and the paint comes off rather easily.

If possible, find a local gym that may have some for use. Try them out (preferably with someone who can show you a few drills) and see if you like them.
ScornDefeat
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby Headhunter » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:40 pm

if you are training for sport then kettlebells > dumbells. being able to swing a weight and all the different exercises you can do with kettlebells is something completely foreign to any other kind of machine or weight. they are better in almost every way compared to all weights. their versatility really can't be compared to anything which is why they are so expensive. they are probably the best type of weights if you want to do exercises with multiple muscle groups, and i can't see why you wouldn't. so basically, unless you are just trying to get washboard abs, and you have the money... go for it.
Headhunter
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Postby Kano1989 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:42 pm

first off ive never used kettlebells one because there not good overall for strength gains and two you can do just as good with basic weights and even sandbags. by the way im 6 foot 175 lbs can easily cut to 160-155 and can bench 300 squat 425 and deadlift 480

just one tool of many. build up basic strength with full range barbell and dumbbell exercises

then try strong man training. you can make your own with the link below:

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resource ... implements

make sure to work your rotator cuffs,traps, neck and even your jaw. work your jaw by putting a section of a strength training band and use your mandible to pull it up, go lightly at fist though.

oh and kettle bells are okay. I went to Columbus during ufc 82 and i also went to the convention across the street. there were kettle bell guys in there propaganding the benefits of them yet they were half the size of people that werent even on steroids. trust me kettle bells are just a fad. basic weights and strong man training will take you much further
Kano1989
White Belt
White Belt

Postby LionHeartWarchild » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:30 pm

My uncle and father are really into kickboxing and as a kid I always saw them using KettleBells. They'd always ask me if I was interested but I was pretty lanky and had a hard time with them at the age 7, Lol, so I just stayed with Dumbells. After I'd gotten pretty heavy into martial arts and started focusing on becoming a fighter, I finally started picking them up in preperation for Sanda tournaments. They're really amazing due to the fact that they can work parts of muscles that you just can't reach with Dumbells. They really boost tightening and toning your core as well. The eliptical motions not only help balance and flexibility, but it helps your overall body movement. One can learn to move the body in more divese ways in the ring/cage, and just help your overall versatility. I definetely recommend them to all.
Image Image
LionHeartWarchild
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby bodybeckles » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:07 am

My name Is David. I'm a Kettlebell instructor. Kettlebells (KB) are a great asset to anny MMA fighter at any level in his or her game.
KB's are are a great tool for strength endurance, endurance, strength building, power and metabolic conditioning. All of which are an asset to mma practioners/fighters.
KB's aren't the greatest tool for hypertrophy (muscular growth) because a lot of the exercises are ballistic in nature. Hypertophy requires Time under tesion to be effective.

The exercises you can perform with KB's are endless. You can swing them; press them, throw them; jump with them; pull them; rotate them; etc. In addition to the latter you can combine any of the variables described in the last sentence.
You can then cobine the exercises as couplets, triplets or complexes. A complex is a string of excercises (generally 6-8) done in sucession for a predetermined amount of reps, completed for 3-5 sets. A 45 - 60 sec. break is generally taken between each complex.

If you require anymore info on KB's feel free to ask. I can be reached at [email protected].
bodybeckles
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Dancefusion » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:19 pm

scott sonnon's clubbell is also a MMA geared variation used for grip, wrist, shoulder, rotator cuff training. Made for fighter for sport specific trainging.
"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." — Bruce Lee
Dancefusion
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby andyc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:46 am

Kettle bells are an excellent way to develop your aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. First off because of the design of the kettlebell, they work the stabilizer and core muscles through out the body. Secondly you can use sport specific motions in a repetative manner to develop speed, power and cardio, through the resistance they provide. Kettle bells are very versatile. You can work conventional weight trainining movements or advanced compound movements. For instance in order to work on powerful and explosive shots; you can do duck walks with kettle bells. You may also chose to do a more aerobic work out by performing 5 different exercises and perorming each one for a minute example 1 minute duck walks, 1 minute squat jumps, 1 minute clean and press, 1 minute upright rows and 1 minute curl and press. This is just an example, but that would be round 1. I perform something similar and I go a total of 10 rounds. this type of training works explosiveness, power and endurance. I hope that this can help anyone who is interested in incorporating them into their regime also check out http://www.artof%20strength.com there are some great videos with kettlebells
andyc
White Belt
White Belt

Postby sammcl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:48 am

halal pig wrote:how much do they cost where do u get em and how heavy r they

The weights vary, the recommended starting point for a man is 35lbs.
Sig Bets: 1 - 0
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Postby TKDfighter » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:09 am

I have a decent size weight room and chose to go with dbs over kbs because of the space saving. I have a pyramid rack for the heavier dbs and a set of select tech for the lighter ones and they take up much less space than trying to get all of the different weights needed for my whole family to use. Just my case but it is something else to think about.
"Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances."
- Benjamin Franklin
TKDfighter
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ScornDefeat » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:39 pm

I recently bought a 24kg (53lb) KB to go with the two 16kg (35lb) I already own. I overhead military press the smaller ones on a regular basis, but I wasn't able to press the 24kg when I first tired.
After a couple of weeks, I'm happy to say that I've reached a personal breakthrough today by pressing the larger KB with my right hand (left still needs some work). A 20lb jump is quite an improvement for me, considering my size (128lbs), long arms, and limited lifting experience. (Edit: To clarify, I didn't gradually go from 35lb to 53lb. I just swung/snatched the 53lb so my body (particularly the shoulders) could get used to handling the weight.)

Maybe in a couple more weeks I can be able to press it "bottoms up" style.
ScornDefeat
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Previous

Return to Gear and Equipment