Login
Register

Pacquiao-Hatton showdown looms

Discuss all other combat sports here.

Pacquiao-Hatton showdown looms

Postby batangastig » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:12 pm

By Jun Medina, Special Correspondent
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/200 ... 5spo1.html

After drubbing Paulie Malignaggi Saturday night, British sensation Ricky Hatton cleared the way for a super fight with Filipino pound-for-pound Manny Pacquiao, a bout that Hatton’s trainer and retired heavyweight champ Lennox Lewis are endorsing.

Floyd Mayweather Sr., who has trained Hatton for two months, said Hatton-Pacquiao would be a good match up for two explosive power punchers with similar buzz saw styles of fighting.

“It’s Ricky’s call, but do I want to see him fight Oscar? Not really,” Mayweather told Independent Television Network. “I would rather see him fight Pacquiao, that’s the perfect match for Ricky.”

Mayweather opined that Oscar de la Hoya could pose too much of a challenge for Hatton because of the size disparity, adding that Pacquiao would be the ideal match for the British junior welterweight star who now has 45 wins (33 by knockouts) against a loss.

Ironically, the only blemish in Hatton’s fight record was inflicted by his new trainer’s son, Floyd Jr., the now-retired unbeaten welterweight who used to be world’s No. 1 pound-for-pound.

Lewis, who did the Hatton-Malignaggi analysis for HBO, suggested Pacquiao would likely be Hatton’s next opponent if the Filipino get’s past de la Hoya in their December 6 fight at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas.

“I think [Hatton-Pacquiao] would be a very interesting fight,” Lewis said. “They have to agree on what weight they want to come in at, but obviously the fans would love to see a fight like that.”

As for Hatton, he said he would be delighted to face the de la Hoya-Pacquiao winner.

“Bring it on, I’d definitely like to do it,” Hatton said in the ring immediately after Malignaggi’s trainer waved the referee to stop the fight in the 11th round to spare his fighter from further punishment.

The British star said he would be willing to move up in weight to fight de la Hoya, or go down in weight to fight Pacquiao.

“In fact, the winner or the loser will be a good fight to be honest,” Hatton said. “. . . Maybe we can get it at Wembley, a 100,000 crowd, and with that performance I’m right there now in the reckoning.”

Veteran American boxing scribe Michael Marley said a Pacquiao-Hatton clash would be a big hit with boxing fans, adding that such a bout would go off “as an even money affair.”

“Ricky vs. Manny is so promotable it is making me silly,” said Marley, editor-in-chief of Boxing­Confidential.com, a popular US boxing website. “Why not put the first fight in Manchester and the inevitable rematch in Las Vegas or Manila? It will be a thrilla wherever they hold it.”
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Re: Pacquiao-Hatton showdown looms

Postby eggyegg » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:36 pm

Pacman has this one imo. Better boxer all round.

Pacman via decision.
eggyegg
5th Degree Black Belt
5th Degree Black Belt

Accolades: Hall of Famer

Postby adm2rcar » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:35 pm

eggyegg wrote:Pacman has this one imo. Better boxer all round.

Pacman via decision.

nah, i feel if mayweather, who was notorious for not having ko power, could tko hatton, so can pac-man
pac-man via TKO 10
adm2rcar
6th Professional Linker Victory
6th Professional Linker Victory

Postby FootFistProductions » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:30 pm

adm2rcar wrote:
eggyegg wrote:Pacman has this one imo. Better boxer all round.

Pacman via decision.

nah, i feel if mayweather, who was notorious for not having ko power, could tko hatton, so can pac-man
pac-man via TKO 10

I do agree with the outcome, I don't agree with the reason why. I think that the only reason Mayweather was able to tko Hatton (corner literally threw in the towel) was not because of power punching it was his speed and number of punches that did Hatton in, which is the same way that Pacquiao will do. I think that Pac is just too fast for Hatton. I have Pac in the 5th or 6th just because he can punch as fast as money mayweather but harder also.
irishmike357 wrote: He sucker punched him from behind before the fight even started, and by sucker punched I mean shot him with a gun.
Burritoking1000 wrote:I would let like 100 dudes jerk off all over me for a whole day for less than a million.
FootFistProductions
3rd Professional Linker Victory
3rd Professional Linker Victory

Postby agonzalez1 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:41 am

pacquiao ftw
Agonzalez1: MMAlinker's first 2 Time Interim Champion and your NEW MMALinker World Champion!!!!
agonzalez1
World Champion
World Champion

Postby maciejkargol » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:58 pm

agonzalez1 wrote:pacquiao ftw

+ pizza
SURVIVOR POOL CHAMPION
maciejkargol
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Survivor

Postby batangastig » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:33 pm

okay i honestly think this fight with hatton will be more of a challenge than that with floyd. ive been analyzing some vids and hatton's style will pose a lot of problems with pacman. hatton likes to clinch and punch with his free arm, and pacman even though hes a great fighter inside will not be effective if he cant utilize the in and out game plan recently seen in the oscar fight. the reason why pacman is so dangerous is because hes so quick and unpredictable. if hatton can slow down pacman and cut off the ring then hatton has a great chance in winning the fight. i c the fight ending in two ways, pacman outclassing hatton like he did with oscar or hatton cutting off the ring and winning with a tko. i know many may argue, but if pacman comes out of this fight the way he looked in the oscar fight, i know for a fact that he will beat mayweather with ease.
I'm gonna have to be killed before I lose, and I ain't going to die easy - Muhammad Ali
ImageImage
batangastig
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby agonzalez1 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:48 am

hatton's little girly punches won't do anything to Pac
Agonzalez1: MMAlinker's first 2 Time Interim Champion and your NEW MMALinker World Champion!!!!
agonzalez1
World Champion
World Champion

Return to Kickboxing, Boxing, Grappling, etc.