Close
Login
Register

WEIGHT BENCH vs. MACHINE??

Discuss the gear and equipment you have used to be successful

Re: WEIGHT BENCH vs. MACHINE??

Postby Kano1989 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:05 pm

power rack and adjustable bench buy from newyorkbarbells or weld your own

freeweights are superior to machines and bowflex. bowflex actually only uses one technique in strength training which is accomadating resistance
Kano1989
White Belt
White Belt

Postby Dancefusion » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:10 pm

I just want to reiterate what someone said earlier which is dead on.... incline/decline bench is the best type of bench and everything everyone has said is true....free weights any day slower yes better yes....gut a power block or rack if you want to save time or even two barbells I use one for olympic lifts and the other for bench.
"Adapt what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." — Bruce Lee
Dancefusion
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Postby shogun_rua » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:34 am

damn im jealous. Get both if u can. HAHA!
shogun_rua
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Rico Is A Beast » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:01 am

shogun_rua wrote:damn im jealous. Get both if u can. HAHA!

i have both :lol: incline/decline weight bench and a bowflex xtreme.....but i'm sellling the bowflex in 2 months
Sigbet Record - 64 - 33
Last 10 bets - 8 - 2
1 Title Defense

Admin on The MMA Troll, The MMA Bulletin, & UFC "LIVE" Facebook pages, Follow us!
Rico Is A Beast
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion, "The Invitational" tournament winner.

Postby NOBLE K » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:02 pm

Blacksheep wrote:nobody has brought this up...and by now Im soue you have bought one...but do you have anyone to spot you on the free weights ? Or do you not plan on using enough weights to have to use a spotter ?

okay i baught the bench press and i love it so fu$king much haha
it has self spotters on it so i dont need a spotter.
my freind has a machine almost identicle to the one i posted and as much as i like it i dont feel the resuults as i do with the bench press. i also just purchased dip bares so i can blast my tri's to the extream!!! my weight room is jam packed it looks like a hich school weight room in there i love it. and no im not fuckin rich or N/e thin i have been saving up for about 3 years now and i finally have everythin i wanted plus more!!
ALISTAIR OVEREEM
NOBLE K
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Rico Is A Beast » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:16 pm

NOBLE K wrote:
Blacksheep wrote:nobody has brought this up...and by now Im soue you have bought one...but do you have anyone to spot you on the free weights ? Or do you not plan on using enough weights to have to use a spotter ?

okay i baught the bench press and i love it so fu$king much haha
it has self spotters on it so i dont need a spotter.
my freind has a machine almost identicle to the one i posted and as much as i like it i dont feel the resuults as i do with the bench press. i also just purchased dip bares so i can blast my tri's to the extream!!! my weight room is jam packed it looks like a hich school weight room in there i love it. and no im not fuckin rich or N/e thin i have been saving up for about 3 years now and i finally have everythin i wanted plus more!!

good for you man....glad to hear you got what you wanted.....did that program help you????
Sigbet Record - 64 - 33
Last 10 bets - 8 - 2
1 Title Defense

Admin on The MMA Troll, The MMA Bulletin, & UFC "LIVE" Facebook pages, Follow us!
Rico Is A Beast
Mod Emeritus

Accolades: Heavyweight Sig-Betting Champion, "The Invitational" tournament winner.

Postby mma freak » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:37 am

Smith wrote:
machines balance the weight for you, thus reducing the amount of work you have to do and not exercising the stabalizing muscles that truly create real world strength. For instance, a lot of people can bench a lot more on a Smith Machine than a free weight flat bench.

Agreed.

i always prefer free weight as oppossed to machines. machines assist you with the lift and give you a false reading of your capabilities. For example, the bench press on a machine can't be swayed either front to back or side to side. your stabilizers would normally be performing this for you, and in this case they are not getting used.

Also when you use free wieghts you are not confined to the area restrictions of the machine, you are able to use a full range of motion and work muscles that you would not be able to on a machine.

dont get me wrong machines arent bad, if i were to to the gym i would use them. there are alot of great machines, but you couldnt fit all of them in your home. In a home environment the easiest and cheapest way to go is to get a bench, a bunch of free weights, and do exercises that incorporate your own bodyweight. for example push ups pull ups sit ups and dips
mma freak
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby ThirdCoastCombat » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:44 pm

in my opinion pretty much the only true advantage machines have over free weights is that the pulley systems on them follow your strength curve.

of course theres advantages such as easier to change weight, safer, usually dont need a spotter in them etc...but as far as actual lifting goes, ill almost always choose free weights over machines.
ThirdCoastCombat
Mod Emeritus

Postby Stand-up_Philosopher » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:25 pm

Ok after using Bowflex for months now maybe a year, I realized that its not as good as what it is on TV.

I`m getting a weight Bench hopefully for xmas. I want one of those smith machines.
"The human body is a submission waiting to happen." - Erik Paulson

GS GIMG
Stand-up_Philosopher
5th Professional Linker Victory
5th Professional Linker Victory

Postby sammcl » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:03 pm

Stand-up_Philosopher wrote:Ok after using Bowflex for months now maybe a year, I realized that its not as good as what it is on TV.

I`m getting a weight Bench hopefully for xmas. I want one of those smith machines.

If it's not too late, I'd recomend against the Smith, they aren't bad, but free weights work your shoulder stabilisers and Smiths don't, but it depends on your goals.
Sig Bets: 1 - 0
sammcl
Red Belt
Red Belt

Previous

Return to Gear and Equipment